Seems that I've failed by choosing Nuforce HDP Icon DAC...or have I not?
Apr 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vicca Tito

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to share this one with you, since I have a misinterpretation choosing by no means a "really good" half a portable and easy to take away DAC Nuforce HDP. Am I going nuts in this issues or the others are experience the same one as well. Dry and flat sound, no bass, uninvolving highs - seems that it has cost me a 100 eur instead of the 4 times payed amount couple of months ago. Really unpleasent surprise by far so far. And disappointment seems to deepens instead of Dac to improove in performace (AFAIK this unit - it was written by many of users to improve itself (considering the sound) after being heavily used for some time i.e.200 hours or so). Well it doesn't! Never had any of the relatively cheep DAC products with such an incredibly low performance. Even Yulong DAC Mark II was far more better, as a standalone DAC at least 3x as a headphone amp as far as 2x! Is it possible that I have been as much mislead? Or I am doing something wrong in setup?

The DAC hasn't fixed DAC-out.
Does that mean that (when in setup)one should be used with damn'd volume control in max position(about 17 o'clock when vertical)?

Or is that with every unit, that when used as a headphone amp with high impendance headphones (Beyerdynamic 880 - 600Ohms variant, AKG K272, or much lower Senns HD595) discernible sounds come at level of master control of about 2 o'clock?

Please, share some light on the subject if possible. I have found many articles about Nuforce HDP wonderchild, and wonder only: is there any application in wich this unit is capable of (aside from being used as a DAC for TV)?
Where is music there? (This DAC has being bought only for Apple desktop music extesion purposes).

Thanks in advance for sharing on the subject

Vicca

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 7
It's simple. You don't like this piece of equipment, therefore it is not good (for you). Return it, if possible, or sell it and replace it with something you like better.

The raving of people on this forum about this thing does not necessarily mean that it is indeed the best product ever. It's just the flavour of the month.

More 'burn in', even if you believe it's real, will not make a bad product good. I doubt whether the Nuforce Icon HDP is truly a bad product, but apparently it is not fit for your taste. Accept it and move on.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
You need to upgrade...which headphones you own? 

yes, upgrade concerning headphones or DAC / amp?
Most of the time I am using AKG (because of my family - closed design, so they can't hear the music), when i want to listen to music seriously I use Beyerdynamics. My main headamp is Darkvoice 3322 non-moded. Works very nice with Beyer's
little less well with AKG.
The thing is that I am chosing DAC. Whether to swap Nuforce for some other, eventually, i.e.
- Musical Fidelity M1 orrrr eventaully V-DAC + V-PSU?
- Rega (not readily available here in Slovenia)
- Libby
- New Yulong DAC, D-100, AFAIR?

Any new comments, thoughts or especially advices regarding Musical Fidelity options?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 7
I too had the HDP for about a week before I sold it, it's a good entry level do-it-all product but by no means the last word in performance. Just think about it: it retails for $450 so you pay maybe $150 for the headphone amp, $200 for the DAC, $50 for pre-amp and $50 extra for the snazzy form factor. Those are all entry level prices for the individual components so you shouldn't expect something out of the ordinary.

In fact I did several back to back comparison with my titanium hd sound card and I preferred the sound card to the HDP!

It's not a bad product you just have to remember that it's an entry level product... luckily for me I bought mine second hand and even managed to sell it for a little more than I bought it for....

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Or is that with every unit, that when used as a headphone amp with high impendance headphones (Beyerdynamic 880 - 600Ohms variant, AKG K272, or much lower Senns HD595) discernible sounds come at level of master control of about 2 o'clock?

This doesn't looks right, you might want to get it checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back