Seeking Shure SRH840 sound and earplug-quality isolation in an IEM
Jul 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cnote678

Head-Fier
I love everything about the way my Shure SRH 840's sound-and I mean LOVE. But they are way too top heavy and hot to be practical for anything other than sitting still.

And, my Shure E2C's aren't cutting it anymore as far as IEMs go. The isolation isn't good enough (I use the largest possible black rubber tips) and they don't sound that good-for the price I paid, sure, but I am ready to spend for something nicer since I use them almost constantly! I'd like to spend less than $150 if possible.

SO, the search for my dream IEM begins! I'm hoping there is something out there that will fit my needs without needing to go the custom fitted route. Any suggestions, anyone?!

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Are you sure you're using the right tips (or wearing it right) for your E2c? With the silicon tips, I haven't heard of anything that can come close to my E2c's isolation.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, I just typed a huge reply to this, then tried to enter a smiley face. My browser froze and I have to do it all over again-great!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm wearing the right tips-they're the ones that came with the headphones, and the ones they sent me when I ran out. They're also the ones that came with my warranty headphones when the cable broke near the over-ear bend. I've tried the orange foamies and they isolate pretty well but they're too difficult to take in and out, and the clear plastic ones isolate best but are too hard and kind of hurt after a short time. And I think I'm wearing them right too-they come over my ear from behind and sit in the ear, with the all clear one on the left and the black/clear one on the right.

So yeah, these offer good isolation, but I want great isolation! Or at least comparable isolation and better sound-but ideally, BOTH!

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 12
I personally think the RE-Zero might fit the 840 sound.  When I borrowed the 840 from a fellow Headfier, it reminded me of the RE0 except it had slightly more bass impact, but then again I was enjoying them more than critically listening to them.  So I say anything along the RE0, RE-Zero or even the new DBA-02.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I personally think the RE-Zero might fit the 840 sound.  When I borrowed the 840 from a fellow Headfier, it reminded me of the RE0 except it had slightly more bass impact, but then again I was enjoying them more than critically listening to them.  So I say anything along the RE0, RE-Zero or even the new DBA-02.

x2

I have both the RE0 and the SRH840 and in my initial impressions the RE0 surprisingly reminded me of the SRH840 just without as much as bass, sound stage, etc... the neutral/balanced sound signature are very similar between the RE0 and the SRH840.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check them out. How's the isolation?

Edit: I checked and the RE0's have an isolation rating of 3.5 stars on Head-fi, whereas the Shure E2C's have a 4.5 star rating. Hmmm....this concerns me as the time I use my headphones most is in transit-bike, bus, trains, etc.

Any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Good to know! What about fast on a bike, while mowing, or in wind...ever try any of those with them? I know that's a lot to ask, but if they can do any of those then I'm sold!

Well, I have the V2 with the cloth cord so I try not to sweat on them, haha.  I would say because the RE0 aren't flushed to the ear wind noise would probably no different or worse than other IEMs of similar size.  Besides walking and the occasional short sprints I don't really notice too much wind noise, haha.  I use my cheaper NE-7m for sweat work.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Ok, thanks again. I'll post some feedback when (if) I get them.

But wait a minute...what's the difference between this: 

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

and this:

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=89#

???

I notice the one has rubber cable, the other has cloth, one has rubber fixtures, the other has silver. Anything major? Why the difference?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
"*RE-ZERO earphones are balanced design earphones. If you need to use RE-ZERO earphones on regular earphone socket,  you have to use the balance 4-pin TRRS plug to regular earphone TRS plug adaptor (in the packing box). If you directly plug TRRS balaced plug to regular earphone jack,  RE-ZERO will only have sound in one channel."

Or at least that'w what the site says...

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 12
Necro-ing old thread: also a big fan of the Shure 840. Reviews describe them as fairly neutral, slightly warm, and decent soundstage for it's class. I'm looking for matching IEMs sub $100, hopefully with replaceable cables.

My current TripleFi 10's are failing. I liked their sound with a loose seal, made them more neutral with less bass. I learned I really prefer replaceable cables as its always been the first part to break.

Is there a decent sub $100 IEM with replaceable cables that sounds closest to the Shure 840? Only model I can seem to find would be the Shure SE215.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back