Seeking Hifiman EF-1000 amplifier impressions
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

brbattles

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate your impressions of Hifiman's EF1000 head amp on the Susvaras and how it compares to the Woo Audio WA-33 head amp on the Susvaras to the extent you've had the opportunity to experience both combinations.

Many thanks,
Battles

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 36
Bump for this thread as also very interested in the performance of the EF-1000 with the Susvara's and how they stack up with the WA33 and or the Trafomatic Primavera !

Anybody ?

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 36
20220821_111038.jpg

I went to my first headphone show at Headroom 2016 London and it has been one giant rabbit hole since.

I am chasing a sound that perhaps does not exist, this is perfect bass with texture, a nice midrange and sweet treble, without any harshness or fatigue. Detail and separation are also on the list plus all the other usual qualities.

In other words, I want it all. I love my LCD4 headphones and the laid-back sound they give. With the addition of the Susvara, I have a totally different sound signature equally loved. The Susvaras are certainly getting some playing time. While making the decision to purchase the Susvara I decided to try the EF1000, the combo price was seductive and wanted to have a second amp as an alternative sound signature.

Equipment Used

I do have a Mscaler but left this out to keep the chain as simple as possible.

PS Audio Power Plant 15 with Supra power cables.

Antipodes K50 – Wave Storm BNC to BNC to Dave.

Chord Dave – RCA and XLR Chord Sarum T to EF1000 and WA33 EE JPS.

Network isolated by cheap generic FMC.

WA33 EE JPS $15,999.00

JPS internal wire $ 2,000.00

TA-274B Takatsuki Tube $ 1,250.00

417A / 5842 Tube with Adapter $ 2,299.00

Psvane ACME 2A3 Tube Quad $ 1,220.00

Total Cost $22,768

EF1000

$15,000.00 or combo price $18,000.00.

Sound

Firstly, it is important to remember that the tubes and the “Version” of WA33 really do make the difference. The standard WA33 with standard tubes cannot be compared to the SQ of the EF1000 IMHO. If the two were lined up now the EF1000 would be my choice without any long A – B.

It is not so clear with the WA33 EE JPS with upgraded tubes and could perhaps come down to personal preference.

The EF1000 is a hybrid of tube and Solid State, many audiophiles use a preamp to add a sound signature, the tubes used in this amp do come through. It was designed this way for good reason, the sound is musical, rich and very infectious but with plenty of detail. When used with the Susvara I would say a match made in heaven if you like musical, full rich music with detail and never fatiguing.

While the WA33 EE JPS is fully a tube amp but does not sound like a typical tube amp. It has the advantage of being able to be tuned to suit the user by a greater selection tube upgrades. Although also very musical the detail is much easier to hear, bass is more controlled voices seem more natural or clean and better separation “by” comparison but never analytical. Perhaps thinner sounding “by” comparison to the EF1000. The EF1000 is warmer than the WA33 EE JPS without question, is it too much for me? No, not with the Susvara but with the LCD4 perhaps it would be.

You may wish to read Bangkok Trip Report: Part 1 - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style written by @Sajid Amit I totally second his view on the WA33 (I assume the SE version) however the WA33 EE JPS with upgraded tubes is in a totally different league to the SE.

If I were to use my LDC4 with the WA33 EE LPS the sound signature would lean towards the EF1000 by a few clicks hopes that makes sense.

If you are running a digital source perhaps with digital noise as I did (years ago without realizing) I found the LDC4 straight from Dave tamed the brightness. I could perhaps see the EF1000 helping with this issue in a similar way.

The Cayin HA-300 mk2 with the 300B tubes would be how I would describe a tube amp with tube bloom.

Another way to describe the EF1000 sound vs WA33 EE JPS.

The EF1000 has more of a tube sound by comparison. The detail is there but the tubes tend to colour the sound signature at the cost of a cleaner sound (nothing wrong with that by the way). If I owned the EF1000 I would try upgrading the tubes…but this is my personal choice.

Both these amplifiers sound excellent. I would be happy with either one.

The EF1000 has more of a tube bloom than my WA33.

Just a few other comparisons:-

Standby power used

WA33: 231 watts vs EF1000: 186 watts

Volume Dave set at 28

WA33 (low impedance) 1 o'clock, (high impedance) 12 o'clock vs EF1000 one click before 12 o’clock. Which is odd as EF1000 has a lot more power.

The volume control.

WA33 (fine adjustment) manual vs EF1000 (click stops for me, no fine adjustment, no deal breaker. I used Dave to fine tune volume) manual and remote.

Heat

Both run around 40c, the WA33 in around 60 minutes vs the EF1000 in 15 minutes. Purchase some slow running computer fans.

Size.

The WA33 is a nice size vs EF1000 which is very deep, so take careful measurements if you are planning to put the HiFi rack close to the wall and allow for cables at the back.

Voltage supply

WA33 Fixed at factory for county, user adjustable for 3 x 10-volt range, for example 220-230, 230-240,240-250 (if or when out of range you get a hum) vs EF1000 240 or 110 user selectable plug and play with no hum on any voltage.

Value for money EF1000 has to win with the combo price but the WA33 is my preference.

Will I be purchasing the EF1000, sadly no as the contrast in sound signature between the Susvara and LCD4 gives me what I need…. For the moment.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 36
20220821_111038.jpg
I went to my first headphone show at Headroom 2016 London and it has been one giant rabbit hole since.

I am chasing a sound that perhaps does not exist, this is perfect bass with texture, a nice midrange and sweet treble, without any harshness or fatigue. Detail and separation are also on the list plus all the other usual qualities.

In other words, I want it all. I love my LCD4 headphones and the laid-back sound they give. With the addition of the Susvara, I have a totally different sound signature equally loved. The Susvaras are certainly getting some playing time. While making the decision to purchase the Susvara I decided to try the EF1000, the combo price was seductive and wanted to have a second amp as an alternative sound signature.

Equipment Used

I do have a Mscaler but left this out to keep the chain as simple as possible.

PS Audio Power Plant 15 with Supra power cables.

Antipodes K50 – Wave Storm BNC to BNC to Dave.

Chord Dave – RCA and XLR Chord Sarum T to EF1000 and WA33 EE JPS.

Network isolated by cheap generic FMC.

WA33 EE JPS $15,999.00

JPS internal wire $ 2,000.00

TA-274B Takatsuki Tube $ 1,250.00

417A / 5842 Tube with Adapter $ 2,299.00

Psvane ACME 2A3 Tube Quad $ 1,220.00

Total Cost $22,768

EF1000

$15,000.00 or combo price $18,000.00.

Sound

Firstly, it is important to remember that the tubes and the “Version” of WA33 really do make the difference. The standard WA33 with standard tubes cannot be compared to the SQ of the EF1000 IMHO. If the two were lined up now the EF1000 would be my choice without any long A – B.

It is not so clear with the WA33 EE JPS with upgraded tubes and could perhaps come down to personal preference.

The EF1000 is a hybrid of tube and Solid State, many audiophiles use a preamp to add a sound signature, the tubes used in this amp do come through. It was designed this way for good reason, the sound is musical, rich and very infectious but with plenty of detail. When used with the Susvara I would say a match made in heaven if you like musical, full rich music with detail and never fatiguing.

While the WA33 EE JPS is fully a tube amp but does not sound like a typical tube amp. It has the advantage of being able to be tuned to suit the user by a greater selection tube upgrades. Although also very musical the detail is much easier to hear, bass is more controlled voices seem more natural or clean and better separation “by” comparison but never analytical. Perhaps thinner sounding “by” comparison to the EF1000. The EF1000 is warmer than the WA33 EE JPS without question, is it too much for me? No, not with the Susvara but with the LCD4 perhaps it would be.

You may wish to read Bangkok Trip Report: Part 1 - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style written by @Sajid Amit I totally second his view on the WA33 (I assume the SE version) however the WA33 EE JPS with upgraded tubes is in a totally different league to the SE.

If I were to use my LDC4 with the WA33 EE LPS the sound signature would lean towards the EF1000 by a few clicks hopes that makes sense.

If you are running a digital source perhaps with digital noise as I did (years ago without realizing) I found the LDC4 straight from Dave tamed the brightness. I could perhaps see the EF1000 helping with this issue in a similar way.

The Cayin HA-300 mk2 with the 300B tubes would be how I would describe a tube amp with tube bloom.

Another way to describe the EF1000 sound vs WA33 EE JPS.

The EF1000 has more of a tube sound by comparison. The detail is there but the tubes tend to colour the sound signature at the cost of a cleaner sound (nothing wrong with that by the way). If I owned the EF1000 I would try upgrading the tubes…but this is my personal choice.

Both these amplifiers sound excellent. I would be happy with either one.

The EF1000 has more of a tube bloom than my WA33.

Just a few other comparisons:-

Standby power used

WA33: 231 watts vs EF1000: 186 watts

Volume Dave set at 28

WA33 (low impedance) 1 o'clock, (high impedance) 12 o'clock vs EF1000 one click before 12 o’clock. Which is odd as EF1000 has a lot more power.

The volume control.

WA33 (fine adjustment) manual vs EF1000 (click stops for me, no fine adjustment, no deal breaker. I used Dave to fine tune volume) manual and remote.

Heat

Both run around 40c, the WA33 in around 60 minutes vs the EF1000 in 15 minutes. Purchase some slow running computer fans.

Size.

The WA33 is a nice size vs EF1000 which is very deep, so take careful measurements if you are planning to put the HiFi rack close to the wall and allow for cables at the back.

Voltage supply

WA33 Fixed at factory for county, user adjustable for 3 x 10-volt range, for example 220-230, 230-240,240-250 (if or when out of range you get a hum) vs EF1000 240 or 110 user selectable plug and play with no hum on any voltage.

Value for money EF1000 has to win with the combo price but the WA33 is my preference.

Will I be purchasing the EF1000, sadly no as the contrast in sound signature between the Susvara and LCD4 gives me what I need…. For the moment.
is the ef 1000 true full balanced circuit?

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 36
is the ef 1000 true full balanced circuit?
I think it is (i.e. it has two separate identical pre-amp and power amp circuits side by side that run together in parallel), but not 100% sure.

Best to email Hifiman's technical department and ask them for an official and accurate answer !

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 36
May sound like a simplistic question but how are you connecting to the EF 1000 from your Dac? XLR or straight rca? Are you plugging into the ef 10000 DAC jac or the AUX jack. The manual is a bit confusing as to connection/switch. As sometime more than one works? Optimization?

Jul 5, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 36
May sound like a simplistic question but how are you connecting to the EF 1000 from your Dac? XLR or straight rca? Are you plugging into the ef 10000 DAC jac or the AUX jack. The manual is a bit confusing as to connection/switch. As sometime more than one works? Optimization?
I found that the RCA 'CD' (for connecting my CH P1 Phono stage) and 'DAC' (for connecting my Chord DAVE DAC) inputs superior to both the RCA and XLR 'AUX' inputs on the EF1000. The RCA 'AUX' input was better than the XLR 'AUX' input.

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 36
So to be sure, you connected your DAC to the Single ended RCA DAC input which you found superior to the others mentioned?
Yes that is correct.
I also found that the 'CD' RCA input is also exactly the same as the 'DAC' RCA input regarding performance whether you connect a DAC or say a Phono Stage (like I have done to the 'CD' RCA input) to it !

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 36
Yes that is correct.
I also found that the 'CD' RCA input is also exactly the same as the 'DAC' RCA input regarding performance whether you connect a DAC or say a Phono Stage (like I have done to the 'CD' RCA input) to it !
I just don't bother using the 'AUX' inputs at all.

When I first started listening to my EF1000, I asked the official Hifiman UK contact for technical queries etc. why the XLR / balanced (i.e. 'AUX') input for the EF1000 is inferior to the single ended RCA 'CD' and 'DAC' inputs. He couldn't give me a justifiable technical answer !

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 36
I just don't bother using the 'AUX' inputs at all.

When I first started listening to my EF1000, I asked the official Hifiman UK contact for technical queries etc. why the XLR / balanced (i.e. 'AUX') input for the EF1000 is inferior to the single ended RCA 'CD' and 'DAC' inputs. He couldn't give me a justifiable technical answer !
Wow, that’s amazing

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 36
Yes I agree. My unbalanced RCA connection to the Dac improved my performance in a significant way in my set up?
'So to be sure, you connected your DAC to the Single ended RCA DAC input which you found superior to the others mentioned?' ;

Yes I connect my Chord DAVE into the 'DAC' RCA input of the EF1000 and my CH P1 Phono stage as well into the 'CD' RCA input of the EF1000.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 36
Curious, has anyone ever compared this little guy to the Riviera AIC-10? They are pretty similar function wise (high end tube amps that can do both HPs and speakers) but not sure how they compare in SQ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back