Seeking Hifiman EF-1000 amplifier impressions
Nov 1, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #16 of 36
Curious, has anyone ever compared this little guy to the Riviera AIC-10? They are pretty similar function wise (high end tube amps that can do both HPs and speakers) but not sure how they compare in SQ...
I am very interested in impressions between upper tier amplifiers for Susvara. I currently have the ENLEUM 23R but looking for a tube amp to compliment and perhaps open up the sound stage more. I am not interested using it off the taps of a power speaker amps. My potential choices below:

Riviera A1C

Woo 23

Woo 33 Elite

Primavera,

Egoista 845

Envy Performance/ElrogMo

Hifiman EF1000

All of those with EF1000 and Riviera love it and think they are better than Envy. I was impressed with a short listen while in Poland recently but so difficult to choose another amp without some comparisons on similar setups. The Transformatic takes too long to get. Personally, I like a one box solution with a more compact form factor and aesthetics really nice with Envy but ultimately looking for the largest sound stage possible with Susvara and best overall performance in terms of layering and pinpoint instrument/vocals positioning without sacrificing micro details and bright treble with a silent black background.

With the Envy tube substitution using Elrogs-MO, it seems that it may be as good if not better than EF1000 according to some. Although not sure as many also feel the sound stage is much more holographic with EF1000, Transformatic or Rivera. There do not appear to be any real world head-to-head performance comparisons between these amplifiers, especially with the upgraded tubes on the Envy with the same downstream electronics with Susvara. Have DAVE with Upscaler. What was your impression of these amplifiers in more detail. How did you settle on the Envy? Thanks so much for your help.

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 36
EF 1000 terrific. However one issue has come up a couple of time. It seems how it is connected to your DAc matters as there is some type of tube safety trigger that when your volume exceed say the 11 o'clock position (which is not overly loud) the amp trips something that shouts the sound off and you need to power off than back on again? Anyone else experiencing this? Or has a solution? Seems RCA vs XLR and input selection has to be a certain combination to avoid this???

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #18 of 36
EF 1000 terrific. However one issue has come up a couple of time. It seems how it is connected to your DAc matters as there is some type of tube safety trigger that when your volume exceed say the 11 o'clock position (which is not overly loud) the amp trips something that shouts the sound off and you need to power off than back on again? Anyone else experiencing this? Or has a solution? Seems RCA vs XLR and input selection has to be a certain combination to avoid this???
Never had this issue either with my Chord DAVE DAC into single RCA / 'DAC' input of the EF1000, nor with my CH P1 Phono Stage into single RCA / 'CD' input of the EF1000 !

Nov 9, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 36
Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate your impressions of Hifiman's EF1000 head amp on the Susvaras and how it compares to the Woo Audio WA-33 head amp on the Susvaras to the extent you've had the opportunity to experience both combinations.

Many thanks,
Battles

At the moment I am trying to decide on a tube amp for my Susvara. I settled on the ENLEUM 23 R as my favorites as amp but now want to explore tubes for that more open holographic sound stage.

Narrowed down to :

Felik Envy Performance with Elrog MO tubes $10k

EF1000 $15K

Woo WA33 ~ $15k

Viva Egoista 845 ~$10k

Trafomatic Primavera ~ $15k

Riviera AIC-10 ~ $23k

The first 2 on the list appeal most to me. Any guidance here?

Thanks

Nov 9, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #22 of 36
Narrowed down to :

EF1000 $15K

Woo WA33 ~ $15k

Viva Egoista 845 ~$10k

Riviera AIC-10 ~ $23k

Thanks
Also keep in mind the EF 1000 can power speakers so you get more than just a headphone amp. Check out Bloom Audi, ask for Andrew, he is very helpful

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #23 of 36
Narrowed down to :

EF1000 $15K

Woo WA33 ~ $15k

Viva Egoista 845 ~$10k

Riviera AIC-10 ~ $23k

Thanks
Hi 'tunes', I heard the Envy and Egoista 845 at a UK Hifi Show in Sept this year connected to a Chord DAVE and using Susvara's. To my ears, I prefer my EF1000 !

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 36
Hi 'tunes', I heard the Envy and Egoista 845 at a UK Hifi Show in Sept this year connected to a Chord DAVE and using Susvara's. To my ears, I prefer my EF1000 !
I am very interested in impressions between upper tier amplifiers for Susvara. I currently have the ENLEUM 23R but looking for a tube amp to compliment and perhaps open up the sound stage more. I am not interested using it off the taps of a power speaker amps. My potential choices below:

Riviera A1C

Woo 23

Woo 33 Elite

Primavera,

Egoista 845

Envy Performance/ElrogMo

Hifiman EF1000

All of those with EF1000 and Riviera love it and think they are better than Envy. I was impressed with a short listen while in Poland recently but so difficult to choose another amp without some comparisons on similar setups. The Transformatic takes too long to get. Personally, I like a one box solution with a more compact form factor and aesthetics really nice with Envy but ultimately looking for the largest sound stage possible with Susvara and best overall performance in terms of layering and pinpoint instrument/vocals positioning without sacrificing micro details and bright treble with a silent black background.

With the Envy tube substitution using Elrogs-MO, it seems that it may be as good if not better than EF1000 according to some. Although not sure as many also feel the sound stage is much more holographic with EF1000, Transformatic or Rivera. There do not appear to be any real world head-to-head performance comparisons between these amplifiers, especially with the upgraded tubes on the Envy with the same downstream electronics with Susvara. Have DAVE with Upscaler. What was your impression of these amplifiers in more detail. How did you settle on the Envy? Thanks so much for your help.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #25 of 36

Riviera A1C

Woo 23

Woo 33 Elite

Primavera,

Egoista 845

Envy Performance/ElrogMo

Hifiman EF1000

Hi, First if you don't mind I have a question. I see such great reviews for ENLEUM with Susvara, You're not happy with it? The EF 1000 as far as the performance, sound is outstanding for Susvara in particular. I actually am using one now but due to a Hugh miscommunication on my part with my dealer I had processed a special order which I am told I cannot cancel. So its now being built for me and should ship in about two weeks. If you're interested I will do a great deal as when it arrives from the factory it will be unopened factory sealed and plan to list it for sale!!!!!!!!

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #26 of 36
Hi, First if you don't mind I have a question. I see such great reviews for ENLEUM with Susvara, You're not happy with it? The EF 1000 as far as the performance, sound is outstanding for Susvara in particular. I actually am using one now but due to a Hugh miscommunication on my part with my dealer I had processed a special order which I am told I cannot cancel. So it’s now being built for me and should ship in about two weeks. If you're interested I will do a great deal as when it arrives from the factory it will be unopened factory sealed and plan to list it for sale!!!!!!!!
I do like my ENLEUM23R but want to have a tube amp to get that more expanded sound stage that SS seems not to achieve for Susvara. I am trying to decide between Feliks Envy Performance, Riviera A1C and EF1000. Please keep me posted. I may be interested.

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 36
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Envy vs EF1000 with Susvara. Can you tell me how you think the Envy differs from the Envy performance with Elrog Mo tubes? Which gives a more expansive sound stage and blackest background for precise instrument placement layering and micro details.

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 36
I would also consider the Aries Genus in your list of TOTL Amps for the Susvara.
I have never heard the Genus (I would love to - maybe sometime this year I will). I have read on both this and other online hifi forums that people who have or still own the Genus and have partnered it with the Aries Cerat Helena DAC say it sounds amazing !
In fact most of the people who buy Aries Cerat equipment appear to love it !

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #30 of 36
Stand by for a pending review of the EF1000 v EF1000 DAC. I'll test the rca xlr sq and post some sound samples on my YouTube review. Obviously, the Susvara will be worn🙂
I also happen to have a Feliks Envy, and a hand built McNeish Designs Speaker/Headphone Amp. All 4 are no compromise Headphone Amps, and 2 of them offer a no compromise speaker amp in addition.
As time permits, I'll bring you YouTube reviews of these and post them here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back