SE530 vs. Triple.fi
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
So my SE530's cable just split. It's glued together with some silicone sealant, but will probably only hold for a few weeks or so. Anyway I am considering the Triple.fi 10s because of their replaceable cable. I do however, like the sound sig. of the Shures. I'm not a bass freak but I do like the bigger richer sound coming from the Shures. As such I have heard that the Triple.fis do not have this particular bassy quality. Do the triple.fis sound tinny or are they still bassy and punchy? Is there anything else that they are similar to? Is the sound sig similar to the Super.fi 5's? I have owned those in the past and really liked the neutrality of their sound. If the Triple.fis are just a bigger better sounding Super.fi I'd definitely get those. Any comments would be appreciated guys!

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my SE530's cable just split. It's glued together with some silicone sealant, but will probably only hold for a few weeks or so. Anyway I am considering the Triple.fi 10s because of their replaceable cable. I do however, like the sound sig. of the Shures. I'm not a bass freak but I do like the bigger richer sound coming from the Shures. As such I have heard that the Triple.fis do not have this particular bassy quality. Do the triple.fis sound tinny or are they still bassy and punchy? Is there anything else that they are similar to? Is the sound sig similar to the Super.fi 5's? I have owned those in the past and really liked the neutrality of their sound. If the Triple.fis are just a bigger better sounding Super.fi I'd definitely get those. Any comments would be appreciated guys!

This thread here compares both IEMs.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 36
The Triple fi have much better highs than Shure E500. Less midbass than E500. Arguably bigger soundstage.
Cons: the Triples are less comfortable, but the E500 themselves are not the most comfortable IEMs themselves.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 36
I picked up the Triple.fi's right before I shipped the Shures back for replacement (cracking cable). While the comfort of the TF does leave a LOT to be desired when compared to the Shures, the TF's have quite a more lively and realistic presentation with their increased high end extension and more integrated bass.

The bass on the TF's is definitely there, but it doesn't slam with quite the same impact as the E500/SE530. It comes down to preference, I suppose, but ...

I love the clean, immersive sound of the UE's, and I need more. So, there's a pair of UE11's being made as we speak.

So, you might say I've found test driving the Triple.fi's to be unexpectedly expensive.

Be forewarned.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The triple.fi sound bassy and punchy, that is not a problem. They also fix the midrange suckout of the super.fi model, and fix the rolled off highs of the SE530. While the triple.fi are smoother than the super.fi, I didn't feel they were as smooth or engaging as the SE530, and certainly not as comfortable.

If you like the super.fi, you should consider the Livewires customs for $249, which also correct the super.fi midrange suck-out. And, without rolling off the treble they and add a smoothness to the treble, unlike the fairly bright treble of the super.fi 5 pro. Also, the Livewires sense of headstage/soundstage and transparency is bigger than the super/triple.fi

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 36
I have had the triple.fi for over a year now and I havent bent the earloops since I set them when I first put them on.. It took me a little bit to get them right, but it was worth it. They use to fallout sometimes even after taking so long to set them, but the earloops I think have slowly bent overtime so they fit perfectly to my ears. I have also found a way to put them in the case without bending the earloops. I can wear them for hours now.. and they sound amazing. For me personally, I much prefer these to the e500/se530. They are simply amazing......

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by earfanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earphonesolutions now has a photo comparison from most of the IEMs in ear! I had an idea before, but now I saw how big this things are... especially the Tripple-fi! Weird! The link is this: Side by Side Comparison of In-Ear Headphones by Price Range

That's some good info, but one thing that it does not clearly display is how much each model sticks out from your ears. Look at the angle of the eartip in both the SE530 and Triple-Fi and you can see the big difference in the way these fit.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had TF10 for three months. Even with Shure's black olives, I can't wear them more than a couple hours. Are E500 any more comfortable?

IMO, TF10's bass is not bad considering it's an IEM.

OMG yes. I love the sound that comes from the TF's, but I've been using the E500 more simply due to comfort. They disappear in my ears.

I can't wait for my UE11's to arrive.

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 36
I personally listen to my UE10 using the flip side mod, so the the tips angles in your ear apposed to how you would wear them normally. Using this method it sits flush in my relatively small ears with only a few mm protruding out.

Also I can listen for longer and find the sound sealing considerably better this way.

Derek.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 36
You might consider checking with Shure if the splitting of the cable might fall under their warranty policy. Shure is famous for problems with the cables and a lot of us having issues got a replacement pair. It's the cheaper option.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 36
After having the Triplefi my SE530 was left in her dark case. I just love the warmness and shimmering highs of Triplefi. Further, the synergy between the A808-Hornet-Triplefi is great.

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 36
Im getting one of the two. I have to get it from Full Compass since I bought my HD595 from them and I will exchange it and pay the difference. The Triplefi is $399.99 and the 530 is $449.99. I want to get the one that is best for my music. I listen mostly to all types of rock, which involves a lot of instruments. I prefer the least amount of bass, best clarity, and best highs. Which of you two would you guys recommend? I don't care about the comfort issues of the tripefi as I don't listen to music for continous hours. Some advise please.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silwad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the least amount of bass, best clarity, and best highs. Which of you two would you guys recommend?

Triple.fi without question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back