SE 535 BROKEN NOZZLE
Sep 5, 2010 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mic1

New Head-Fier
I've owned the 535's since release. While I love the sound of the monitors, I've had a problem with sleeve tightness when removing. I  use the medium black olives and really only changed them repeatedly when I first received them. Last night, I was in the process of placing a new set of olives on the left earpiece and could not for the life of me get it to release. I tried gently twisting and pulling simultaneously and the nozzle sheared off near the base. I will have to send in to Shure for repair after the holiday. I've owned the E3 and E4c's in the past and never had any difficulty removing sleeves. Anyone else experienced abmormally tight sleeves on the 535's? I also am wondering how Shure will handle the repair. Appreciate your responses.
Mic1

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 43
Olive-nozzle-breaking isn't what we haven't seen before. There are a few cases reported on the old SE530. You should contact Shure and tell them about it, It should be covered by warranty, as similar to the cases with SE530. Shure doesn't repair. Once they receive yours, they usually will just replace the broken side.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 43
I have been really worried about this happening with my 535's.  I too have had difficulty getting the black olives off the nozzle.  It actually did happen with my E5c's with custom tips on, when they were somehow subjected to pressure, despite being in their hard case.!  The nozzles are a point of physical weakness in Shure's design.  I wish they had used Kevlar or some such to mold the bodies.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 43
put them in the freezer for 10 minutes before removing the tips and gently twist them off.

works like a charm and i got this info from a shure rep.

wait for them to warm up before playing them as there is a difference in  the storage vs. usage temperature ranges.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 43
I live in Vermont.  While the summer has been pretty hot, quite soon it will be cold again.  No need for the freezer, ambient temps will do.  Thanks for the hint.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
put them in the freezer for 10 minutes before removing the tips and gently twist them off.

wait for them to warm up before playing them as there is a difference in  the storage vs. usage temperature ranges.

I thought putting electronics in the freezer was bad.  Water could condense and screw your earphones.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 43

Right, so Shure's flagship iem requires putting in the freezer to remove the tips safely?  Way to go Shure!

Quote:

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 43
If you are concerned about tight fitment, stretch out the Olive core before using.  The plastic gets flexible when heated, and you can dip them in hot water for a little bit to soften them up.  From here you can take a small screwdriver, an end of a pen or pencil and flex open the core some.  To give you a scale of what can be done, I've fitted an Olive tip, with core, over a Triple.Fi 10 nozzle.  It had to be cut off, but you get the idea of what you can do with the Olive if you want. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 43
Thanks for the replies and sleeve hints, I'll get them into Shure tomorrow. I'm "Shure" they will take care of my issue. Half a grand for the monitors, hopefully this won't happen again. I'll be especially careful in the future........

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 43
Mines was only tight and hard to get off the first time when I took them out of the box. After that they were really easy to twist off.

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 43
This was one of the major problems I had with the SE530's when I bought them. I mean the sound wasn't for me either, but the impossibility presented by trying the other tips really put me off keeping them for very long too. Why on earth have they been designed to fit so tight? 

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 43

Quote:

Beat me to it. Exactly...I would say only 3-5 minutes should do the trick very nicely.

It's worked for me like a charm.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 43
Thanks for the freezer tip. I only had to wait a week and Shure sent me out a new factory sealed SE535 and I'm loving life again. I will be more diligent in the future when changing tips, seems like the medium olives work best for me.
Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back