SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything
Aug 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #91 of 147
I do want a Moly 2 and Gumby Multibit but I don't have the room and my financial resources are somewhat limited.  To have a balanced DAC/AMP in a small enclosure will meet my needs today and can be re-purposed in the future for when I do go whole-hog.  And by that time, some of the other amps will probably benefit from J's (I ain't spellin' it out) technology innovation.
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #95 of 147
All this cool new tech coming out, and here I am just waiting for Gumby to come back in stock to pair with my shiny new Mjolnir 2. Hopefully that metal shortage clears up soon! Or maybe a balanced Bimby upgrade announcement? ...I'll see myself out.

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #96 of 147
All this cool new tech coming out, and here I am just waiting for Gumby to come back in stock to pair with my shiny new Mjolnir 2. Hopefully that metal shortage clears up soon! Or maybe a balanced Bimby upgrade announcement? ...I'll see myself out.

Ha!

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #97 of 147
Oh man...decisions, decisions...

On the one hand, it looks like there isn't a huge performance advantage to replacing my Asgard 2 with Jotunheim if I run it single-ended from my Bimby...

...but if I buy the balanced DAC card, then I guess I can gain the benefits of Jotunheim's balanced topology *and* still have the option of more-or-less equaling my Asgard 2 setup for single-ended headphones if I keep my Bimby in the chain...

It also has been my experience that I prefer the 4490 for some recordings and Multibit for others......

Arrrrrggghhhhhhhhh RIP, WALLET!!

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #98 of 147
This has been a year for exciting launch parties. There was the Focal Utopias, then the amazing MrSpeakers ETHER and ETHER C Flows, and now the Schiit Jotunheim, which I had the privilege to attend last night.

Mike and Jason (of Schiit) have a long standing opposition to integrated DAC Amps based on the concept of short term obselence (the idea that DAC technology is very fluid, and new digital formats could appear at any time making the current DAC obsolete). While I may not share their sentiment, I certainly approve of their solution, the Jotunheim.

The Jotunheim is an inexpensive ($399) modular designed fully balanced headphone amplifier / preamp boasting a completely new amplifier topology that they claim outperforms all other amplifier designs (a risky statement given where it falls into their line price wise). What makes the Jotunheim truly unique in the Schiit line is that it has a slot (factory addressable only) for either a DAC (featuring the AKM AK4490, the heart of some very expensive portable units) or a Moving Magnet Phono stage for those die hard analog fans($100 for either module).

They provided an excellent selection of headphones for auditioning, and I found it performed surprisingly well with the HD800s, though my personal preference of the headphones provided were the ETHER C Flows. Though there obviously wasn't enough time for a critical evaluation, it is clear that Jason and Mike have a winner, and I look forward to an opportunity for further listening.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #99 of 147
  This has been a year for exciting launch parties. There was the Focal Utopias, then the amazing MrSpeakers ETHER and ETHER C Flows, and now the Schiit Jotunheim, which I had the privilege to attend last night.

Mike and Jason (of Schiit) have a long standing opposition to integrated DAC Amps based on the concept of short term obselence (the idea that DAC technology is very fluid, and new digital formats could appear at any time making the current DAC obsolete). While I may not share their sentiment, I certainly approve of their solution, the Jotunheim.

The Jotunheim is an inexpensive ($399) modular designed fully balanced headphone amplifier / preamp boasting a completely new amplifier topology that they claim outperforms all other amplifier designs (a risky statement given where it falls into their line price wise). What makes the Jotunheim truly unique in the Schiit line is that it has a slot (factory addressable only) for either a DAC (featuring the AKM AK4490, the heart of some very expensive portable units) or a Moving Magnet Phono stage for those die hard analog fans($100 for either module).

They provided an excellent selection of headphones for auditioning, and I found it performed surprisingly well with the HD800s, though my personal preference of the headphones provided were the ETHER C Flows. Though there obviously wasn't enough time for a critical evaluation, it is clear that Jason and Mike have a winner, and I look forward to an opportunity for further listening.

One AK4490 for each channel, I believe.  And I hope it will go great with my new Flow C! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #102 of 147
Is it possible to use both outputs at the same time (SE and Balanced)?

We have two speaker systems (Living room and Kitchen, each with their own amp & speakers) that we like to run from the same source.  I've been kicking myself ever since I let go our old Creek P43 passive pre-amp and this might work with some adjustments...

(BTW, if there's ever something like the P43 in the cards (with more inputs, etc.) I'd be very interested!)

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #104 of 147
Literally walking distance from the family's Venice property. Wish I had seen this earlier, would've flown down for the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back