SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything
Aug 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #106 of 147
As far as I can tell, Jotunheim is the only announcement for the SchiitShow.  (Not to imply it's not a big one...)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv#post_12817645

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #108 of 147
That phone stage with it's 42dB gain is fine for moving magnet cartridges but is a no-go for moving coil.  60dB or better would be needed for them.  One could alway couple a step up transformer (SUT) like a pair of CineMag CMQEE-3440A to garner the requsiite gain for a MC cart but that would seem to defeat the purpose of a modular phone stage in the Jot.  Wonder if the boys will offer an additional phono stage option for MC carts.....

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #109 of 147
A great show! As you would expect there were a number of Jotunheims available (if fact, I didn't see any other Schiit products at the show), including two with phonostages hooked up to turntables! There were a number of headphones available - I listened to the Audeze LCD-XC, HD800, HD800S, Ether Flow, Ether C (don't know if this was the Flow version), ZMF Omni, Focal Elear and Utopia.

I admire the bravery of the Schiit folks - the Jotunheim is in a way part Bifrost (DAC), Asgard (single-ended amp) and Mjolnir (balanced amp). It's a bit smaller than the Bifrost-sized units and doesn't run nearly as hot as the Asgard 2. The new case design looks very nice and has the same solid build quality as the other Schiit products.

So how did it sound? To my ears it sounded very good and it really let the character of the various headphones come across. Isn't that what a good amp should do? While listening to the Utopia I started getting annoyed that there were someone behind me using a hammer for some kind of building maintenance, until I realized that the sound was coming from the track that I was playing. Well done!

And for those of you who visited the Schiit room at THE Show: The puppy has grown a lot and is very cute and friendly!

Again, thanks to everyone for a great show! We are really living in a golden age for headphone listening and SoCal seems to be ground zero for a lot of exciting products.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #110 of 147
  It's a bit smaller than the Bifrost-sized units and doesn't run nearly as hot as the Asgard 2.

Excellent news!  The excessive amount of heat that the Asgard 2 puts out is the only thing that I hate about it.

Jotunheim to the rescue!

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #111 of 147
I just ordered one with a phono input. I have enough DACs. I just inherited my dad's record collection. Oddly, I have all these albums on CD and/or flac. It's my kinda music. The record player is bust so I need to pick up a good fluance or something similar. Pretty excited.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #113 of 147
For myself, the Jotunheim is most compelling with the phono module. It could replace my Magni 2U and save me from purchasing a Mani as well as reducing the amount of equipment on my desk. If the DAC module, with improving technology in the future, could ever be multibit I would have to reconsider. As it stands now though, for myself, I want to keep the DAC out of it to be able to leverage multibit DACs in its place.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #115 of 147
For myself, the Jotunheim is most compelling with the phono module. It could replace my Magni 2U and save me from purchasing a Mani as well as reducing the amount of equipment on my desk. If the DAC module, with improving technology in the future, could ever be multibit I would have to reconsider. As it stands now though, for myself, I want to keep the DAC out of it to be able to leverage multibit DACs in its place.

If it's cheaper to buy mani--even mani plus SYS for easy switching, and stack the four on your desk (unless you have a bifrost--wouldn't the smaller footprint be worth it? You could even throw in a Wyrd and it'd be a mere 277, or mimby for 427.

Edit: Unless balanced or 5W is a primary reason for buying.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #117 of 147
Dont mean to offend but Jason is very good at upselling his products but its often a let down.

"Another SchiitShow? Yes. And after this one, desktop audio may never be the same. We’re introducing a new product that is a real rule-breaker…and potentially a big game-changer.

I can’t say much, other than to say that if you thought this morning’s announcement of Modi Multibit was cool, you haven’t seen anything yet. It’s time to go beyond “2s” and “3s” and “Ubers.” It’s time for radical rethinking. It’s time for something completely new. We think it's going to make one entire category of products look, well...very last-decade."

Right... So... All we got was one new mid-entry tier amp.... Wheres the last decade bit?

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #119 of 147
I guess the long winded pitch I made a while back for a SYS w/ Remote control  ( to fill the void of the Creek passive/Remote units left behind)  fell on deaf ears  ( as expected of course).   There is the R-Cube but really  A sys-R  or Sys II  with remote just kinda makes sense ( well to me anyway).    Not sure how much a remote operable pot adds to the cost of something like the Sys but I can't imagine it would be that costly .   Even at $90-$100 I can see "vintage" folks picking one up to allow for remote volume operation of their gear, or just as a simple single ( or dual input) passive w/ remote to pair with powered speakers,  Tube "line stage"  etc.  

Am I pitching again? :) 

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #120 of 147
I agree with you guys, a bit disappointed. At least it reaffirms my decision to purchase the gumby/mjo2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back