SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything
Aug 28, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #121 of 147
Pretty much the same..."sore dake desu ka" Kenshiro would say 
biggrin.gif

BTW, Jotunheim with phono module looks the more interesting configuration there 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #122 of 147
Dont mean to offend but Jason is very good at upselling his products but its often a let down.

"Another SchiitShow? Yes. And after this one, desktop audio may never be the same. We’re introducing a new product that is a real rule-breaker…and potentially a big game-changer.

I can’t say much, other than to say that if you thought this morning’s announcement of Modi Multibit was cool, you haven’t seen anything yet. It’s time to go beyond “2s” and “3s” and “Ubers.” It’s time for radical rethinking. It’s time for something completely new. We think it's going to make one entire category of products look, well...very last-decade."

Right... So... All we got was one new mid-entry tier amp.... Wheres the last decade bit?

+1.

It is a nice, lean entry level unit with good value for a first time buyer...

...however let me know when they drop USB and move to an AES67/Dante ethernet input. USB has seen it's time come and go...

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #123 of 147
I may be the opposite of some here. Under the Hood this is a Schiit Only Amp topology Which in it self is no small feat. Based on the Video Jude did, It is Quiet enough for IEM's and a Power house to drive some pretty demanding cans. While the DAC may not be MB probably because Schiit is not using Nano tech and this is what can physically fit there. Its fully balanced DAC for $100!!!!!!! More and if it anywhere near Performance of the Modi Uber That's a Low cost of entry.  Fully Balanced Phono stage, Why not? You can still use MC with a SUT. 

From My Understanding You can use the SE input and then have balanced outputs (Someone smack me down if this is wrong) I cheacked the manual and all threads i found and found nothing that says you cant) .If this is the case Score If you Own a Mimby or Bimby. That's great news. It's not a fully balanced chain  But if you already own SE Dacs You can Use Balanced Cans or use this as a Balanced Pre amp. On the Balanced Pre amp option. I have overlooked many Power amps with Balanced inputs because I have a Bimby and it is SE only.. Sure I can Upgrade to the Gumby  for 2X The Price. While upgrading everything else. Not going to happen on this planet.

I get it its only one product but as Someone who goes from Speakers to headphones. There is Huge Value and flexibility here. Start with The Jot ( I don't remember how to spell the name so its the Jot for me) with the Internal DAC. When you want MB a year later get a Bimby. Hey these SE cans are great but now I want balanced. Great Go get the cans Jot can handle that. Want some monitors because you just moved out of your moms basement and have your own place .Take your Pick SE or Balanced. I Just got a promotion and want a Gumby or Yggy but I cant Afford to get it and the Raggy or Mojo. No worries Get it when you get Promoted next year. I just Inherited Dads TT and I don't use the internal DAC any more since I have the Bimby now.   www.schit.com ---> $99 +shipping ---> 3 days later The Dead never Sounded so damned good. a. I may have went a little Nuts here. But the flexibility that's possible and a new topology for $399 or $499 Based on your config Is a Huge Value prop. For those of use who have been in this cult for a while we have most of the Bits and Pieces so it may seem like that big a deal . But for the new generation of Head/Hi fiers. I can see the Big deal. The Jot has the possibility to Grow with your audio addiction and is not priced into the stratosphere.

Edit. A Dac Option with S/PDIF would make this even better. USB,S/PDIF or Phono.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #124 of 147
I may be the opposite of some here. Under the Hood this is a Schiit Only Amp topology Which in it self is no small feat. Based on the Video Jude did, It is Quiet enough for IEM's and a Power house to drive some pretty demanding cans. While the DAC may not be MB probably because Schiit is not using Nano tech and this is what can physically fit there. Its fully balanced DAC for $100!!!!!!! More and if it anywhere near Performance of the Modi Uber That's a Low cost of entry.  Fully Balanced Phono stage, Why not? You can still use MC with a SUT. 

From My Understanding You can use the SE input and then have balanced outputs (Someone smack me down if this is wrong) I cheacked the manual and all threads i found and found nothing that says you cant) .If this is the case Score If you Own a Mimby or Bimby. That's great news. It's not a fully balanced chain  But if you already own SE Dacs You can Use Balanced Cans or use this as a Balanced Pre amp. On the Balanced Pre amp option. I have overlooked many Power amps with Balanced inputs because I have a Bimby and it is SE only.. Sure I can Upgrade to the Gumby  for 2X The Price. While upgrading everything else. Not going to happen on this planet.

I get it its only one product but as Someone who goes from Speakers to headphones. There is Huge Value and flexibility here. Start with The Jot ( I don't remember how to spell the name so its the Jot for me) with the Internal DAC. When you want MB a year later get a Bimby. Hey these SE cans are great but now I want balanced. Great Go get the cans Jot can handle that. Want some monitors because you just moved out of your moms basement and have your own place .Take your Pick SE or Balanced. I Just got a promotion and want a Gumby or Yggy but I cant Afford to get it and the Raggy or Mojo. No worries Get it when you get Promoted next year. I just Inherited Dads TT and I don't use the internal DAC any more since I have the Bimby now.   www.schit.com ---> $99 +shipping ---> 3 days later The Dead never Sounded so damned good. a. I may have went a little Nuts here. But the flexibility that's possible and a new topology for $399 or $499 Based on your config Is a Huge Value prop. For those of use who have been in this cult for a while we have most of the Bits and Pieces so it may seem like that big a deal . But for the new generation of Head/Hi fiers. I can see the Big deal. The Jot has the possibility to Grow with your audio addiction and is not priced into the stratosphere.

Edit. A Dac Option with S/PDIF would make this even better. USB,S/PDIF or Phono.

All that is good but i dont think anything outside of a time machine can justify Jason's hyperbole

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #126 of 147
I begin to understand why Jason is excited about Jotunheim. I think it comes from him being an engineer and designer. He may have miscalculated how excited we would be.

My first reaction was...wow, another amp in the Schiit product range :rolleyes:

But the more I looked at and thought about it, the more excited I got. First, I can't say better than bigro's post above about its flexibility. Second, it's a new topology in Schiit's line-up, which may mean a new signature. Or maybe lack of signature: see this post from merrick in the impressions thread which suggests Joti significantly changes character with source. That's transparency.

So...I will be very interested in impressions and reviews of this amp that don't start from the assumption "this is mid-price therefore a middle of the road performer". I want to know what this amp is really capable of. I'm intrigued whether Jason is right to be excited about this new topology. If he's right, it will probably turn out to be Schiit's quiet achiever...

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #127 of 147
  +1

We need remote control now knowing that some if not most of us use Schiit in our main system.

Agreed! I love my Yggy but would have gladly paid several hundred more for a good integrated remote volume control. As it is I had to purchase a Tortuga Audio LDR remote. While it is remarkable something similar could have easily been added to the Yggy.

Ok... SOTA DAC would be an Yggy with AOIP input and remote control. THAT would be the gain changer we were looking for! ...or I should say that I was looking for :)

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #128 of 147
I begin to understand why Jason is excited about Jotunheim. I think it comes from him being an engineer and designer. He may have miscalculated how excited we would be.

My first reaction was...wow, another amp in the Schiit product range
rolleyes.gif

But the more I looked at and thought about it, the more excited I got. First, I can't say better than bigro's post above about its flexibility. Second, it's a new topology in Schiit's line-up, which may mean a new signature. Or maybe lack of signature: see this post from merrick in the impressions thread which suggests Joti significantly changes character with source. That's transparency.

So...I will be very interested in impressions and reviews of this amp that don't start from the assumption "this is mid-price therefore a middle of the road performer". I want to know what this amp is really capable of. I'm intrigued whether Jason is right to be excited about this new topology. If he's right, it will probably turn out to be Schiit's quiet achiever...

Well said.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #129 of 147

My first reaction was...wow, another amp in the Schiit product range
rolleyes.gif

But—but—when are we going to get "Multiheim" and "Jotuntubes"?? A balanced, multibit dac/amp with the ability to switch out tubes and LISST really would be the holy grail of audio.

EDIT: would @baldr depart from the Norse canon to christen it "Parsifal" on that very basis?

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #131 of 147
But—but—when are we going to get "Multiheim" and "Jotuntubes"?? A balanced, multibit dac/amp with the ability to switch out tubes and LISST really would be the holy grail of audio.

That was my first thought after seeing the balanced dac module. Only thing missing is R2R and tubes. Not modules, but an all in one.

But the MJ2 amp can already be had with regular or Lisst tubes.

Think we will eventually see such an all-in-one. Whenever it happens, will be interesting to see the size, price, and how hot it gets (from the tubes).

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #132 of 147

EDIT: would @baldr depart from the Norse canon to christen it "Parsifal" on that very basis?

Please, I'm already going to buy a Jotunheim as soon as the EU dealer has them in stock, a balanced, modular dac/amp that can run both tubes and LISST would destroy my wallet and possibly my entire life.

Also, no Norse canon departure, nuh uh, Schiit has the absolute best names in the entire industry (though I have to admit Parsifal is a great name and one I have no doubt Mike would love given his taste in music).

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #133 of 147

Great comment.

Slightly OT, but I just ran across a nice video about the curve of diminishing returns from one of my other hobbies (EDC gear), which is 100% applicable to audiophile stuff as well. Nothing that hasn't been said before, but I think it's a concept that's easy to lose track of in pretty much any hobby.

It seems like Schiit has an understanding of / respect for this aspect of the enthusiast world, which is honestly my favorite thing about them.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #134 of 147
Very interesting, thanks for posting, food for thought. Satisfaction with pride of ownership and aesthetic preferences will play in as well. I guess its a matter of how much one is willing to pay for those intangibles. Of course I'm a Schiit-Head, so I unconsciously factored in a curve of my own making when deciding what equipment to build my rig around. I have no regrets.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #135 of 147

Great comment.

Slightly OT, but I just ran across a nice video about the curve of diminishing returns from one of my other hobbies (EDC gear), which is 100% applicable to audiophile stuff as well. Nothing that hasn't been said before, but I think it's a concept that's easy to lose track of in pretty much any hobby.

It seems like Schiit has an understanding of / respect for this aspect of the enthusiast world, which is honestly my favorite thing about them.

I really like this video!

In audio, too, you have to ask yourself "What causes sonic compromise?" as well as "How much does it cost to address these compromises (or eliminate them)?

And, in audio, there are some pretty obvious things that compromise sonics. Things like:

1. Crappy coupling capacitors.
2. Poorly implemented DC servos.
3. Non-optimized topologies.
4. Substandard volume pots.
5. Weak power supplies.

And there are other things that don't affect sonics at all:

1. Pretty chassis.
2. Fancy delivery boxes.
3. Leather-wrapped owner's manuals.

So, looking at things that compromise sonics, let's see what we did with Jotunheim.

1. Coupling caps. There are none. The easiest way to eliminate a compromise is to, well, eliminate it. Jotunheim has no coupling caps, at the input, output, or interstage. So, we don't have to spend megadollars for fancy capacitors. 
2. DC servos. This is one alternative to coupling caps. Poorly implemented servos can feed back signal as well as DC and result in substandard sonics. Jotunheim uses a differential DC servo where the residual signal sums effectively to zero. Or very, very close. In any case, it's a really good DC servo.
3. Non-optimized topologies. Whether we're talking chip amps or fully discrete designs, there are good ways to do things and poor ways to do things. Jotunheim is not only fully discrete, it also uses fairly exotic 2SK, 2SC, and 2SA devices that have very high performance and excelllent linearity. It is also very stable and designed for good linearity at high output at low and constant feedback across the entire audio band.
4. Volume pot. Jotunheim uses a custom Alps RK27114 "Blue Velvet" pot--a very nice product.
5. Power supply. Jotunheim's power supply is 100% linear, has a 48VA transformer, has 6 separate rails, 4 of which are regulated (discrete regulation, not chip regulators) and a total of over 60,000uF of filter capacitance. It is pretty much anything but weak.

As far as what this means sonically, well, that's entirely up to you.

Hope this clears some things up.

Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back