SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything
Aug 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #136 of 147

I really like this video!

In audio, too, you have to ask yourself "What causes sonic compromise?" as well as "How much does it cost to address these compromises (or eliminate them)?

And, in audio, there are some pretty obvious things that compromise sonics. Things like:

1. Crappy coupling capacitors.
2. Poorly implemented DC servos.
3. Non-optimized topologies.
4. Substandard volume pots.
5. Weak power supplies.

And there are other things that don't affect sonics at all:

1. Pretty chassis.
2. Fancy delivery boxes.
3. Leather-wrapped owner's manuals.

So, looking at things that compromise sonics, let's see what we did with Jotunheim.

1. Coupling caps. There are none. The easiest way to eliminate a compromise is to, well, eliminate it. Jotunheim has no coupling caps, at the input, output, or interstage. So, we don't have to spend megadollars for fancy capacitors. 
2. DC servos. This is one alternative to coupling caps. Poorly implemented servos can feed back signal as well as DC and result in substandard sonics. Jotunheim uses a differential DC servo where the residual signal sums effectively to zero. Or very, very close. In any case, it's a really good DC servo.
3. Non-optimized topologies. Whether we're talking chip amps or fully discrete designs, there are good ways to do things and poor ways to do things. Jotunheim is not only fully discrete, it also uses fairly exotic 2SK, 2SC, and 2SA devices that have very high performance and excelllent linearity. It is also very stable and designed for good linearity at high output at low and constant feedback across the entire audio band.
4. Volume pot. Jotunheim uses a custom Alps RK27114 "Blue Velvet" pot--a very nice product.
5. Power supply. Jotunheim's power supply is 100% linear, has a 48VA transformer, has 6 separate rails, 4 of which are regulated (discrete regulation, not chip regulators) and a total of over 60,000uF of filter capacitance. It is pretty much anything but weak.

As far as what this means sonically, well, that's entirely up to you.

Hope this clears some things up.

Jason

Jason - thanks for the very elaborate and interesting post.  I am relatively new to this hobby, but already use the FULLA and the Modi 2 
redface.gif

I have been considering upgrading the Modi 2, and adding a headphone amp, and was wondering:
1. Would the $100 DAC module for the Jotunheim be identical to Modi 2? an improvement? god forbid, a step down?
2. After hearing about and reading about multibit for some time, I am interested in giving it a try.  Any chance for a MB DAC module for the Jot?  a $200 MB DAC for Jot would most likely cause me to pull the trigger on such setup immediately!!

Thanks, and great work,
Zachi.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #137 of 147
1. Would the $100 DAC module for the Jotunheim be identical to Modi 2? an improvement? god forbid, a step down? 2. After hearing about and reading about multibit for some time, I am interested in giving it a try.  Any chance for a MB DAC module for the Jot?  a $200 MB DAC for Jot would most likely cause me to pull the trigger on such setup immediately!!

def not a step down, bc it's balanced, but he's not saying a word on MB. I can't see them offering a MB module at least until 2017, if not 2018. Mimby is there and it's great.

Two days out, I'm reminded of how Apple turned the G4 Cube into the Mac Mini. The original Mjolnir was great, but crippled by lack of SE. This gives you that kind of power, plus DAC flexibility and SE to boot. Color me impressed.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #138 of 147
Jason - thanks for the very elaborate and interesting post.  I am relatively new to this hobby, but already use the FULLA and the Modi 2 :xf_eek:
I have been considering upgrading the Modi 2, and adding a headphone amp, and was wondering:
1. Would the $100 DAC module for the Jotunheim be identical to Modi 2? an improvement? god forbid, a step down?
2. After hearing about and reading about multibit for some time, I am interested in giving it a try.  Any chance for a MB DAC module for the Jot?  a $200 MB DAC for Jot would most likely cause me to pull the trigger on such setup immediately!!

Thanks, and great work,
Zachi.

It uses two Ak4490 per channel so if implemented well should outperform a single modi 2 uber and be at Bitfrost levels for a fraction of the cost!

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #139 of 147
  def not a step down, bc it's balanced, but he's not saying a word on MB. I can't see them offering a MB module at least until 2017, if not 2018. Mimby is there and it's great.

Two days out, I'm reminded of how Apple turned the G4 Cube into the Mac Mini. The original Mjolnir was great, but crippled by lack of SE. This gives you that kind of power, plus DAC flexibility and SE to boot. Color me impressed.

I know Mimby is brand new, but a $200 module for Joty is not going to compromise sales of the $250 standalone Mimby!

It uses two Ak4490 per channel so if implemented well should outperform a single modi 2 uber and be at Bitfrost levels for a fraction of the cost!

That is really good news, since I am seriously considering upgrading the Modi 2 to a Joty + DAC module...

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #141 of 147
  What amp do you currently have?

On my desktop setup?  None!  I connect the Modi 2 to a pair of nice JBL powered speakers...  I want to add an amp to be able to use headphones, too.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #143 of 147

So, looking at things that compromise sonics, let's see what we did with Jotunheim.  
1. Coupling caps. There are none. The easiest way to eliminate a compromise is to, well, eliminate it. Jotunheim has no coupling caps, at the input, output, or interstage. So, we don't have to spend megadollars for fancy capacitors. 
2. DC servos. This is one alternative to coupling caps. Poorly implemented servos can feed back signal as well as DC and result in substandard sonics. Jotunheim uses a differential DC servo where the residual signal sums effectively to zero. Or very, very close. In any case, it's a really good DC servo.
3. Non-optimized topologies. Whether we're talking chip amps or fully discrete designs, there are good ways to do things and poor ways to do things. Jotunheim is not only fully discrete, it also uses fairly exotic 2SK, 2SC, and 2SA devices that have very high performance and excelllent linearity. It is also very stable and designed for good linearity at high output at low and constant feedback across the entire audio band.
4. Volume pot. Jotunheim uses a custom Alps RK27114 "Blue Velvet" pot--a very nice product.
5. Power supply. Jotunheim's power supply is 100% linear, has a 48VA transformer, has 6 separate rails, 4 of which are regulated (discrete regulation, not chip regulators) and a total of over 60,000uF of filter capacitance. It is pretty much anything but weak.

As far as what this means sonically, well, that's entirely up to you.

Hope this clears some things up.

Jason

I wonder whether the Ragnarok can be "upgraded" from cyclotron topology to the new pivot tech used in Jotunheim.

That way we would have the best of both worlds - no DC servo and newer solid state technology that might have better overall sonic character.

I for one love listening to speakers on my Yggdrasil + Ragnarok combo.

An all in one amplifier upgrade solution for the Ragnarok similar to the Schiit's modular DAC line-up is a win-win in my books.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #145 of 147
Are amps inherently less modular than DACs? Can they be made more modular? Jotunheim as an amp isn't upgradable at all—it's insofar as it isn't an amp that it can be upgraded (unless the dac/phono could be some sort of miniature Vali-esque tube preamp?) Idk if a Raggy 2 is in the near-term cards, though the Cavalli enthusiasts will always complain that its watts aren't "quality watts"; the sonics would have to almost embarrass the first iteration to justify the R&D on this comparatively niche "cash-hamster." I'm much more interested in something balanced and OTL...I know the 'tube raggy' can be found at nevergonnahappen.com, but a balanced Valhalla with Mjolnir power would be very, very tempting. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #146 of 147
I fully understand why the Schiit show was set up the way it was.  They wanted to demonstrate the functionality of the unit as a whole, not just the amp with other sources.  I think most of the noise I've heard is folks concerned that the amp is too good for the DAC and/or Phono cards.  That may be.  I don't know.  I know some wish that they'd brought along some separate MB DACs and possibly the separate phono component.  Meh.  I can see that argument I suppose.  I bought one with phono.  I don't need or want an endgame phono system.  I have a car payment already.  If this had just been an amp debut, we'd be hearing less detractors I think.  However, it's that plus the added convenience, and upgradeability.  I am excited to give the amp a go this weekend when it arrives.  The specs on it are just mind boggling.  That's honestly what sold me at first.  The idea of simplifying the desktop setup is fantastic.  I, personally, have no problems with several components.  But, hey, maybe this will replace some.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back