Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 1, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #11,236 of 12,197
My thoughts on the Yggy if anyone is interested. Has some comparisons to a couple other good DACs too, just for a point of reference. Yggy was extremely enjoyable and very agreeable in terms of system matching etc. It's an easy DAC to love.

This was for an OG model and unfortunately done a few months back so prior to the Yggy+ being launched... not that I think it will make a significant difference overall.

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #11,237 of 12,197
Yggy LIM arrived and sounds amazing!!

Have a few questions however, I'm feeding it via USB using JRiver. Most of my collection is flac 44.1khz with some 96khz here and there.

- I see the Yggy accepts inputs of either 44.1khz or 48khz, does it natively accept anything less or higher (i.e. 96khz)?
- How does the oversampling work, is there anyway to get native 44.1khz at say 4 or 8x sampling? All my flac CD rips at 44.1khz only show 1x sampling..?

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #11,238 of 12,197
My thoughts on the Yggy if anyone is interested. Has some comparisons to a couple other good DACs too, just for a point of reference. Yggy was extremely enjoyable and very agreeable in terms of system matching etc. It's an easy DAC to love.

This was for an OG model and unfortunately done a few months back so prior to the Yggy+ being launched... not that I think it will make a significant difference overall.
Goat reviewer.
Reviews whitout comparisons is just advertisment and you make best comparisons.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #11,239 of 12,197
Yggy LIM arrived and sounds amazing!!

Have a few questions however, I'm feeding it via USB using JRiver. Most of my collection is flac 44.1khz with some 96khz here and there.

- I see the Yggy accepts inputs of either 44.1khz or 48khz, does it natively accept anything less or higher (i.e. 96khz)?
- How does the oversampling work, is there anyway to get native 44.1khz at say 4 or 8x sampling? All my flac CD rips at 44.1khz only show 1x sampling..?
It accepts up to 4x natively or oversampled, which is either 176 or 192. I’m not sure when if ever it will accept 8x but maybe someday. Native files that I have seen you can purchase are at max 192 which is a multiple of 48. Your flax CD tips are at 44.1 which is 1x multiple. Now, you can use HQPlayer to oversample them to 176 or 192 and pick the number of bits. For LIM I would stick to 16bits since it is what the chips inside are natively doing. I hope this helps.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #11,240 of 12,197
I know Schiit recommended 2m or less USB cable length but for my set up, I might need to use around 5m length - would this negatively affect the performance or if I get say a better quality cable (supra?) would this be okay?

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #11,241 of 12,197
I know Schiit recommended 2m or less USB cable length but for my set up, I might need to use around 5m length - would this negatively affect the performance or if I get say a better quality cable (supra?) would this be okay?

Assuming this is USB 2.0, you are right at the maximum recommended distance. I would actually stay away from expensive/boutique cables, as often, they fail to pass the standard USB tests and may not work well. Stick with a basic, certified USB cable and see how it works at that length.

If you have problems, using a $10 powered USB hubs between two shorter cables will solve the issue.

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #11,242 of 12,197
I would try the length you need of a relatively inexpensive cable to see if it works without investing much.

Likely not helpful, but I have a 3m AQ Pearl USB cord connecting my computer and Bifrost 2/64 that works.
I don't think I have tried 5m.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #11,245 of 12,197
Thank you guys, I'll try to get hold of a longer one and test it out 😁
Here's the official specs, so you can have some peace of mind:
1670441393940.png

Now, do keep in mind that this is the max specs for DATA transfer. If you are talking about supplying POWER as well (ie. recharging a battery, powering a monitor, etc) then the length drops... by a lot. But don't worry about that right now, just look at the graph above for connecting to Yggdrasil's USB.

5m is fine, but it's the max for 2.0. And I can tell you from experience, from many years as a computer technician, that going over 5m/15ft cables on anything 2.0 will cause intermittent problems (without a repeater). Data loss, interference, and/or signal attenuation. Active cables to extend the max length are hit or miss. They usually end up picking up and amplifying interference, which is your archenemy in audio.

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #11,246 of 12,197
Folkvangr+Yggy OG+Focal Utopia 2020=Mother of all that is holy good.

I don't care if it's new toy syndrome, psychoacoustic, psychosomatic, brain burn in, etc...

The tonality of the combination is just spot on. Bass is amply present and tight. Details there, but not smack you in the face. Soundstage out of your head. With the right track, stage is pretty dang deep too.

Next up the is the DCA Stealth.
FV cringes with the DCA Stealth. Poor thing goes to its knees with anything that has deep bass. I'm waiting for the new reversed gender cable for the Jot A. Thanks Travis from Corpse Cable for your prompt response and awesome customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back