Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #11,252 of 12,310
Yes it does, it's on a shiny sticker with what looks a like small QR code šŸ˜ I bought mine from the recent Black Friday closeout sale so it's basically one of the last units of the older style case.
I got my OG from that sale as well
Guessing OG units wonā€™t have the version indicated on the back, unlike LIM and MIL versions
Does it show version on your computer when connected via usb

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #11,255 of 12,310
My thoughts on the Yggy if anyone is interested. Has some comparisons to a couple other good DACs too, just for a point of reference. Yggy was extremely enjoyable and very agreeable in terms of system matching etc. It's an easy DAC to love.

This was for an OG model and unfortunately done a few months back so prior to the Yggy+ being launched... not that I think it will make a significant difference overall.
That was lot of hard work.
Thank you

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #11,256 of 12,310
Folkvangr+Yggy OG+Focal Utopia 2020=Mother of all that is holy good.

I don't care if it's new toy syndrome, psychoacoustic, psychosomatic, brain burn in, etc...

The tonality of the combination is just spot on. Bass is amply present and tight. Details there, but not smack you in the face. Soundstage out of your head. With the right track, stage is pretty dang deep too.

Next up the is the DCA Stealth.
FV cringes with the DCA Stealth. Poor thing goes to its knees with anything that has deep bass. I'm waiting for the new reversed gender cable for the Jot A. Thanks Travis from Corpse Cable for your prompt response and awesome customer service.
Jotunheim 2 is great with the Stealth.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #11,258 of 12,310
Well my review unit was silver, but even so, they are just really small and not easily discernable until you memorize what each one means. And that involves reading a manual or studying the rear panel, and then remembering the info.

If it was my only DAC and I lived with it for a while, I'd get there eventually. But it certainly isn't intuitive like plain text would be.

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #11,259 of 12,310
I think they're pretty intuitive. Each looks like what it is. And most people use two inputs on a regular basis, if that.

It just doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that would bother an owner.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #11,261 of 12,310
Anyone got the yggy plus upgrade done? if so, what do you think? Is it worth the $500 price point? I am thinking about sending mine in and would love to hear some feedback. I have never been let down by schiit audio, and i honestly think this would be a worthwhile up/sidegrade but any opinion regarding this matter would help me decide.

Thank you

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #11,262 of 12,310
Anyone got the yggy plus upgrade done? if so, what do you think? Is it worth the $500 price point? I am thinking about sending mine in and would love to hear some feedback. I have never been let down by schiit audio, and i honestly think this would be a worthwhile up/sidegrade but any opinion regarding this matter would help me decide.

Thank you
As I read it, there is exactly zero difference in sonics between Yggy OG in larger case and Plus in smaller case. You get only the advantage for future self-install upgrades and also the remote control.

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #11,263 of 12,310

Thank you

As I read it, there is exactly zero difference in sonics between Yggy OG in larger case and Plus in smaller case. You get only the advantage for future self-install upgrades and also the remote control.
Itā€™s probably best to do the case upgrade when thereā€™s an Yggy DAC upgrade as well? :)

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #11,264 of 12,310
Another reason to do an upgrade is to extend your warranty. Iā€™ll be looking at that next year.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #11,265 of 12,310
The newly upgraded Yggy can do NOS mode, which the previous versions can't. That might be less of a big deal for some use cases than others, but I do not think it should be treated as a negligible difference, especially for those who have never heard that difference before. It wouldn't surprise me if a few Yggy x users wind up preferring the NOS over Non-NOS mode (Some Bifrost 2/64 users prefer the NOS mode, although I do not).

With that said, the relative ease of upgradability and future-proofing of the x was its main point of attraction to me, personally. I also took advantage of the upgrade to get a free install of my Unison USB module, which had been idling around here for a couple of years because i got too nervous about doing the install myself after purchasing the module. Besides, AES was sufficient for my specific use-case needs, so I could afford to ignore the USB on the Yggy altogether. The Yggy x upgrade visit has resolved that Unison USB issue for me, and for now, I am counting that as the cherry on the upgrade cake:):):)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back