Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 13, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #11,206 of 12,206
You won't - USB is a digital signal. Those claiming differences in USB cables are either high or really gullible.
@belgiangenius

Your statement is partially inaccurate. You're correct that "USB is a digital signal". You're incorrect that "You won't". As you're referring to hearing a difference, one might depending on their hearing acuity, ability of their system to resolve subtleties, and the particular USB cable used.

USB cables come in different lengths, can be made of different material, can have different insulation, can have a different dielectric, can include a voltage isolator, can be subjected to different environmental situations simply by their orientation to other wires, EMI and RFI fields, can have different types (material) of connectors, can be of a different wire gauge, as well as other things I'm forgetting at the moment. All of the aforementioned can affect the resulting sound, despite the fact that it may not - but could - have an effect on the 1's and 0's.

Best.

Hal

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #11,207 of 12,206
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #11,208 of 12,206
Yep...tried a desktop...laptop and through android..no luck..

Did contact schiit audio today..yet to receive any reply..
So...here is an update...schiit audio asked me to send the unit to them...because I stay in india shipping seems a bit expensive and unsafe.

I had a spare a1 board that I popped into my a2 and it seems to be working...except for aes input.(usb works fine)

If anyone here has upgraded from a2 to newer lim or other boards and want to sell their a2 boards...please do let me know..have made a WTB in the classifieds too.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #11,210 of 12,206
Hi
I own an original yggy with the USB gen 3 replaced by USB gen 5 after it stopped working.
I'm not sure, my memory is failing me, but was it ever advised to upsample in your computer up to 176 or 192? (depending on the source) or is it better to just leave it at native resolution? it might have been my previous DAC that benefited from this.

Mike used to consider AES/EBU the best input. what is the consensus these days?

Strangely enough it seems impossible to find affordable AES/EBU outputs for the computer.
The cheapest I found tat support 24/192 is the yellowtec puc2. but that is still 460 Euros for 1 digital in and out. maybe it is simply not populair enough (too niche) to be affordable.
anyone know of affordable solutions to get AES/EBU out from the computer?

how much difference would the USB upgrade make?

cheers

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #11,211 of 12,206
Schiit has always recommended native SR.

For me, Gen 3 and Gen 5 usb implementation did not allow Yggy to present the true timbre and life it is capable of. I went with Dante Ethernet/aes and have been totally satisfied. However, Schiit’s newest usb, Unison, is excellent, and very affordable.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #11,212 of 12,206
@Mike-WI

Just to make sure that I am not suggesting the DDC is a must have for the YGGY. I believe unison usb from a clean source should sound identical or atleast close to AES or I2S. My usb source is my gaming pc, which is notorious for hum and static, so the ddc basically cleans the signals a bit and sends it to the YGGY. Thats why it might appear to sound better, its just cleaner and crisper with the DDC.

Peeps over here swear by Pi2AES with LPS. The Iris is not a bad pick either, it lacks I2S but the AES should be perfect for the YGGY.

I’ve started looking into this. I’m planning on getting a AQ Diamond for my bedroom setup but my Pi2AES allows tweaks that you can’t do with the commercial streamers like constant upgrades to Ropiee (the OS I use), hardware upgrades and eventually upping the ante with better LPSes while still upgrading the power cable going to the LPS. I think Pi2AES with a really good LPS beats Hermes and Metrums DDC.

I just swapped out a BF2 for a Yggy LIM. The LIM is still settling in but my initial impressions are the LIM is much more detailed, the soundstage is deeper and wider, and the vocals are maybe one or two steps farther back in an imaginary concert settling. The BF2 sounds “thicker” but the LIM is still not lean by any means (also A/Bing the LIM with a Qutest). Very pleased by the upgrade as the BF2 was sometimes “too much” when paired with a tube amp.
Other than the power supply that the LIM offers which might increase detail and soundstage I think the Bifrost 2/64 compares very favorably to it especially given it’s size and form factor.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #11,215 of 12,206
Yggdrasil is an important building block in your setup. As relevant today as when it was first introduced. To some the AUD$3850 that I paid for it in 2017 is a lot, to others it's value for money. For me I'm just glad it's part of my music journey because I've never felt the need to upgrade the dac after Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back