Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #11,176 of 12,050
I want to love PiAES, but they inexplicably go AWOL and need resets, rejigg the power adapter… you get what you pay for after all.
What happens to yours? Mine is up 24/7 without any real issues. I use RopieeeXL with mine. On rare occasion I have an issue with Spotify connect, but that's more of a Spotify and software issue... not the fault of the hardware.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #11,177 of 12,050
I would also like to know how the USB cable matter?

Is it the case that the better USB cable, the better the sound quality?

Or as long as it is a reasonable USB cable, then it won't lift up the sound quality with a better cable. If this is the case, then which USB cable is the standard?

Thanks a lot

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #11,178 of 12,050

Or as long as it is a reasonable USB cable, then it won't lift up the sound quality with a better cable. If this is the case, then which USB cable is the standard?

Thanks a lot
Standard USB 2.0 cable is the standard 😀 I haven't noticed differences between USB cables.

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #11,179 of 12,050

Thanks a lot
In my experience USB cables do indeed improve audio quality, a Nordost Heimdall 2 will sound much better than a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable, for example. But then again, the Heimdall is like 3 times more expensive.

Alot will also depend on the quality of the source components, they have to be resolving enough to show the differences between cables. The Yggy in this case is more than capable of showing those differences and they aren't small or subtle with good cables.

As for length, shorter is always better, to ensure signal Integrity. All of this is based on my own experience with the products mentioned. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #11,180 of 12,050
What happens to yours? Mine is up 24/7 without any real issues. I use RopieeeXL with mine. On rare occasion I have an issue with Spotify connect, but that's more of a Spotify and software issue... not the fault of the hardware.
Volumio on mine.

Well, I have a fun session (no matter if AES, or SPDIF), stop streaming, come back the next day and the device is visibly on but can’t be found on the network (Roon doesn’t see it, no on WiFi, etc.) Unplug/replug sometimes work, other times it’s that plus time, other times it’s disconnect the wart from the device, raise it towards West, pray to the goddess of dawn, sacrifice a chicken, and re-plug.

I’m 90% sure it’s software, as it happens to 2 units. But it’s enough for me to just keep them as backup and not as main.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #11,181 of 12,050

Reasonably well-made cable is enough for most people, tbh. Braided is nice for handling. Expect to pay ~ $20 for 3ft. Example: https://www.straightwire.com/PDFs/USBLINK.pdf

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #11,182 of 12,050
Could someone explain what makes the LIM and MIL versions of the Yggy different from the older versions with respect to their single-ended outputs? Common knowledge seems to be that the Yggy A1 and A2 (now OG) have "gimped" single-ended outputs. On those older models, the balanced outputs are considered superior. It's my understanding that all versions of the Yggy are inherently balanced, so the RCA outs are always going to include an extra bit of processing versus the XLR outs. Why are the LIM and MIL seemingly immune to the sound degradation of the older Yggy models? Has @Jason Stoddard ever explained this? Sadly, I can't seem to find any explanation using the search function.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #11,184 of 12,050

Thanks a lot
I have an experience with standard USB 2.0 cable (probably from China) connected to Yggdrasil OG.
The standard cable sounds quite fine but if you try another USB 2.0 cable from AudioQuest or other cable manufacturer, you could find some improvement to the sound.
It wouldn't be day and night difference but there would be some change to the sound.

Of course it matters on many other factors like how resolving are your headphones, how good is your transport to DAC or if you use some power conditioning.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #11,185 of 12,050

Thanks a lot

Basically, different USB cables have different noise profiles. So, any difference you're hearing has to do with the different ways cables transmit noise. Some audio USB cables are also not made to the correct 90 Ohm characteristic impedance specification for USB. So, if you find the sound to be brighter, what you're actually hearing ist he result of either more noise, generated from the source, or from the circuits having having to deal with signal reflections caused by the impedance mismatch.

Rather than spend money on expensive USB cables, the trick is to eliminate as much noise from your power lines as possible. Then, you'll find different USB cables make little to no difference.

If you want to completely eliminate the noise issue, use a DAP or similar as a transport, but not connected to the power. Then noise can't travel through the ground plane. That, or use the optical input.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #11,186 of 12,050
Basically, different USB cables have different noise profiles. So, any difference you're hearing has to do with the different ways cables transmit noise. Some audio USB cables are also not made to the correct 90 Ohm characteristic impedance specification for USB. So, if you find the sound to be brighter, what you're actually hearing ist he result of either more noise, generated from the source, or from the circuits having having to deal with signal reflections caused by the impedance mismatch.

Rather than spend money on expensive USB cables, the trick is to eliminate as much noise from your power lines as possible. Then, you'll find different USB cables make little to no difference.

If you want to completely eliminate the noise issue, use a DAP or similar as a transport, but not connected to the power. Then noise can't travel through the ground plane. That, or use the optical input.

Avoid boutique cable. Non standard characteristic driven “problems” solved.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #11,187 of 12,050
Volumio on mine.

Well, I have a fun session (no matter if AES, or SPDIF), stop streaming, come back the next day and the device is visibly on but can’t be found on the network (Roon doesn’t see it, no on WiFi, etc.) Unplug/replug sometimes work, other times it’s that plus time, other times it’s disconnect the wart from the device, raise it towards West, pray to the goddess of dawn, sacrifice a chicken, and re-plug.

I’m 90% sure it’s software, as it happens to 2 units. But it’s enough for me to just keep them as backup and not as main.
Sound like a network issue. Try upgrading your network equipment. I use Ubiquiti Networks router and Wi-Fi endpoints. Money well spent

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #11,188 of 12,050
Sound like a network issue. Try upgrading your network equipment. I use Ubiquiti Networks router and Wi-Fi endpoints. Money well spent
I built my own custom router with pfsense, and a Ubiquiti WiFi 6 access point. Not for sound quality, but for performance. Highly recommended.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #11,190 of 12,050
Volumio on mine.
I've used pi2AES with Ropieee or moOde (depending on situation) with zero issues for years. I gave up on Volumio very early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back