Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #9,466 of 12,324
Well Schiit said this is the best DAC they can make without some crazy price hikes, plus if dealer markups are 50% that would put them roughly in the same class, and seems like regardless of price comparison most (all actually that I could find) preferred the Yggy to the previous Chord Hugo efforts.

Yup, probably me. So far though, I can't tell the Hugo 2 (with good USB input) apart from the Yggy Analog 2, except that the Yggy has a bit of a bump in the mid-bass (you can see this in the crosstalk measurement Jason posted a while back).

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #9,467 of 12,324
I'm sure this has been asked many times but I'm new to this thread as of today so my question is...would i benefit getting a usb to spdif converter/cleaner like the su-1 for the yggy2 or is the usb implementation really good that I dont need anything else. I connect directly from the back of a pc.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #9,468 of 12,324
I'm sure this has been asked many times but I'm new to this thread as of today so my question is...would i benefit getting a usb to spdif converter/cleaner like the su-1 for the yggy2 or is the usb implementation really good that I dont need anything else. I connect directly from the back of a pc.

It is least likely because Gen 5 is already at a very good level. And if you are in search of anything better, I would encourage you to read about Dante based connectivity.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #9,469 of 12,324
There's also a new Schiit USB card in beta that has got very good reports, as good or better than AES. I'd ignore SU-1 (I used to have one) and either get the current Yggdrasil or wait until the new card is in it by default.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #9,470 of 12,324
There's also a new Schiit USB card in beta that has got very good reports, as good or better than AES. I'd ignore SU-1 (I used to have one) and either get the current Yggdrasil or wait until the new card is in it by default.

Have they mentioned what it was supposed to improve upon from USB5? My understanding was that it was more or less equal to AES already and essentially solved all of the issues they faced with USB

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,471 of 12,324
Please help with troubleshooting.

I use for sources at work: JRiver FLAC, Spotify 320, Tidal (cancelled today; was firewalled at work), and now Qobuz.
Just signed up for free Qobuz Studio before signing up for a year subscription for Studio of Sublime+.
Anyway. Laptop is hooked up via USB to Yggdrasil.

I was listening to a 24/192 source (Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs).

The Qobuz Audio outpt is shown below:

upload_2019-2-17_16-12-5.png

I get sound with Wasapi, the Yggy indicators are 48 x1 (so not 192). (EDIT: Same with "DirectSound")
When I switch to Wasapi (Exclusive mode) I get Yggy indicators as 48 x4 (=192), but the sound is terrible - distortion, sounds slowed.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
I tried a 24/88.2 album (Gov't Mule - Revolution Come... Revolution Go). Using that:
- Audio Out: Wasapi / Yggy indicator: 48 x1 (not 88.2)
- Audio Out: Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) / Yggy indicator: 44 x2 = 88.2 (WORKS!)

So...???

EDIT #2:
Same file 24/192 source (Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs) didn't work (distortion, sounded slowed down) with Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) on my home Jotunheim Multibit DAC.

EDIT #3 (Jotunheim Multibit DAC w/ Qobuz)
Norah Jones Come Away With Me (24Bit /192 kHz) same:
Wasapi - works
Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) - doesn't work

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #9,472 of 12,324
Have they mentioned what it was supposed to improve upon from USB5? My understanding was that it was more or less equal to AES already and essentially solved all of the issues they faced with USB
It's Mike Moffat's own design, rather than an off-the-shelf USB receiver. From experience: USB5 < AES < new USB.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #9,474 of 12,324
Please help with troubleshooting.

I use for sources at work: JRiver FLAC, Spotify 320, Tidal (cancelled today; was firewalled at work), and now Qobuz.
Just signed up for free Qobuz Studio before signing up for a year subscription for Studio of Sublime+.
Anyway. Laptop is hooked up via USB to Yggdrasil.

I was listening to a 24/192 source (Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs).

The Qobuz Audio outpt is shown below:

I get sound with Wasapi, the Yggy indicators are 48 x1 (so not 192). (EDIT: Same with "DirectSound")
When I switch to Wasapi (Exclusive mode) I get Yggy indicators as 48 x4 (=192), but the sound is terrible - distortion, sounds slowed.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
I tried a 24/88.2 album (Gov't Mule - Revolution Come... Revolution Go). Using that:
- Audio Out: Wasapi / Yggy indicator: 48 x1 (not 88.2)
- Audio Out: Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) / Yggy indicator: 44 x2 = 88.2 (WORKS!)

So...???
Does the Yggdrasil blink with a "you need a better source" light? I would say try a different USB cable. And use only WASAPI exclusive.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #9,475 of 12,324
Hi there, do you happen to have the source for this USB news? That is quite an exciting revelation (ie. further improvements expected)!

It's in this 2018 RMAF interview.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #9,476 of 12,324
Does the Yggdrasil blink with a "you need a better source" light?
No. The VCO/VXCO light doesn't light up.

I would say try a different USB cable. And use only WASAPI exclusive.
No. The USB hasn't changed and works with high resolution files from JRiver Media Center.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #9,477 of 12,324
No. The VCO/VXCO light doesn't light up.

No. The USB hasn't changed and works with high resolution files from JRiver Media Center.

I'll try it with my set up when I get home Mike.

I have Sonarworks installed so that borks exclusive mode for anything. I have to manually switch bitrates when I am using it.

However last time I used it Qobuz was working just fine and switching it rates with exclusive mode just fine without the sonarworks virtual sound device in the way.

Anyway I will hook up a laptop with USB and see how it goes.

Just to make sure it's not Qobuz thing.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #9,478 of 12,324
I'll try it with my set up when I get home Mike.

I have Sonarworks installed so that borks exclusive mode for anything. I have to manually switch bitrates when I am using it.

However last time I used it Qobuz was working just fine and switching it rates with exclusive mode just fine without the sonarworks virtual sound device in the way.

Anyway I will hook up a laptop with USB and see how it goes.

Just to make sure it's not Qobuz thing.
Thanks.
Other bit rates in Qobuz worked okay on Exclusive mode.
I didn't find another 192 file to sample with Qobuz before I had to leave work.

EDIT
Same file 24/192 source (Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs) didn't work (distortion, sounded slowed down) with Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) on my home Jotunheim Multibit DAC.

EDIT #2 (Jotunheim Multibit DAC w/ Qobuz)
Norah Jones Come Away With Me (24Bit /192 kHz) same:
Wasapi - works
Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) - doesn't work

So, 24/192 works on both my Yggy and Jot, so not DAC and not USB cables.
Seems like some interaction with Qobuz at 24Bit /192 kHz & Schiit MB DACs.

EDIT #3
I downloaded the Qobuz app to my A&Futura SE100 DAP.
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs (24Bit /192 kHz) works.
Not sure of any "audio output setting". Just works -- apparently at 24/192.
So, seems like it isn't a source file issue

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #9,479 of 12,324
Hi there, do you happen to have the source for this USB news? That is quite an exciting revelation (ie. further improvements expected)!
Mike Moffat's discussion here and elsewhere on the web, as well as reports from various testers (search is your friend).

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #9,480 of 12,324
Mike Moffat (Baldr) also mentioned in his thread here to expect the new USB around the same time as Windows 7 reaches end of extended support (January 2020) as Schiit does not want to have to provide drivers for Windows 7. I wouldn't hold off buying a Yggy just to wait for the new USB. I'll send mine back in for an upgrade when they introduce their own USB implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back