Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #9,436 of 12,385
I wanted a black one, but very happy with the silver:slight_smile:

My black Jot is still as new.

I acquired the Esoteric after Yggy, it is redbook magic.

Wow! Maybe my Jot unit is bad or something. It scratches easy, especially around the headphone jacks.
Jot is my amp currently with the Yggy. It sounds great! I'm going to audition a Feliks Euforia on Friday (maybe). After I get an amp that's on par, I'm going to get a quality CD transport. I have a bunch of CDs that are out of print and not on any streaming that I know of. That'll have to wait a few months so I don't anger the wife too much.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #9,437 of 12,385
I wanted a black one, but very happy with the silver:slight_smile:

My black Jot is still as new.

I acquired the Esoteric after Yggy, it is redbook magic.

Are you feeding Yggy via XLR?

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #9,439 of 12,385
Wow! Maybe my Jot unit is bad or something. It scratches easy, especially around the headphone jacks.
Jot is my amp currently with the Yggy. It sounds great! I'm going to audition a Feliks Euforia on Friday (maybe). After I get an amp that's on par, I'm going to get a quality CD transport. I have a bunch of CDs that are out of print and not on any streaming that I know of. That'll have to wait a few months so I don't anger the wife too much.

@Baldr should have the Schiit CD transport ready later this year, a great reason to wait those few months.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #9,440 of 12,385
Are you feeding Yggy via XLR?

I feed Yggy 3 different ways now. My gaming PC feeds optical, my Audio/DAW feeds AES3 via Lynx E22 sound card.

The Esoteric feeds spdif with a DH-labs RCA to BNC.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #9,441 of 12,385
@Baldr should have the Schiit CD transport ready later this year, a great reason to wait those few months.

CD transport??? Ooooh, I hope it will be the same width as the Yggy. That would look nice stacked.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #9,442 of 12,385
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #9,444 of 12,385
Been ABing the good ol yggy like a madman with a benchmark 3 today just to see how different multi is from d/s. Benchmark was definitely a bit clearer, but a big trade off seemed to be that instrumentals got dominated and drowned out by the vocals. Part of me felt like I liked this better, but in the end I feel like I'll end up missing more of the songs. Vocals felt a -tad- recessed to make room for the instrumentals in the yggy to balance everything out nicely

I'll keep the Yggy as my primary, but I'll definitely be holding onto the benchmark I think for other things or when Schiit is ready for another Yggy upgrade which is honestly the #1 reason I'm keeping my Yggdrasil. I could sell it tomorrow, and next year they might do something that makes it more awesome and I'll regret losing it.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #9,445 of 12,385
Vocals felt a -tad- recessed to make room for the instrumentals in the yggy to balance everything out nicely

Kinda unusual for Yggdrasil to give recessed vocals in your system. Yggdrasil on other systems I've heard even have more forward vocals than some d/s DACs and the instruments have a lot more space to breath in and out on the stage also

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #9,446 of 12,385
Kinda unusual for Yggdrasil to give recessed vocals in your system. Yggdrasil on other systems I've heard even have more forward vocals than some d/s DACs and the instruments have a lot more space to breath in and out on the stage also

Yeah I'm not the best at describing things. The most basic summary I can give is that everything is balanced out a lot better in the Yggdrasil. I had a harder time hearing instruments on the Benchmark. They were there, it just seemed like the Benchmark prioritized Vocals which were a little clearer, but not worth the trade off imo. I got the benchmark used for a decent deal to satisfy my curiosity. If I try any other DAC in the near future, itll be the Holo Spring.

EDIT: Did some can swapping today between the HD800S and Utopia. Yggdrasil is amazing with the HD800S, where as I think my Utopias sound better with the Benchmark than the Yggy. Can't wait for my Verite to come. Looking to downsize what I have once they do.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #9,447 of 12,385
OMG, yesterday I had my YGGY hit the 1 mo mark. I was so waiting for this day patiently. Started my favourite album from macbook pro through USB5, I was in heaven for 40-45 odd mins. Too good. I do not think I had a better experience ever in my life. Even, when I went to audiophile stores and randomly played the same album from TIDAL; didn't feel the same. Told my wife (she bought it for me), I do not have anything else to ask from my life. :p

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #9,448 of 12,385
OMG, yesterday I had my YGGY hit the 1 mo mark. I was so waiting for this day patiently. Started my favourite album from macbook pro through USB5, I was in heaven for 40-45 odd mins. Too good. I do not think I had a better experience ever in my life. Even, when I went to audiophile stores and randomly played the same album from TIDAL; didn't feel the same. Told my wife (she bought it for me), I do not have anything else to ask from my life. :p

So you're saying you're kinda fond of the yggy. Do I have that right ???
Haha, congrats and enjoy !

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,449 of 12,385

Let me add then that there are more surprises left for you to experience when you run Yggy with Dante connectivity :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back