Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #9,406 of 12,059
I own a yggy and a singxer su-1. I think they did a good job with the usb section. I definitely think there are rooms for improvements but the USB gen 5 is pretty solid. The singxer is a nice unit.
I know it's impossible to quantify these things but, in your opinion, how much of an improvement is going AES via the SU-1 instead of USB5?

The SU-1 is tempting me, but maybe I should just wait a few months for Mike to release his new USB solution....

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #9,407 of 12,059
I'd wait to see.

I jumped the gun on a CD player/transport because I got a good deal on great vintage piece. I love Redbook via SPDIF with Yggy. I couldn't wait for Schitt's transport, and needed a stand alone player anyway.
Incidentally I don't like the DAC in my Esoteric very much.

Yggdrasil has spoiled me.

I wouldn't be buying a Lynx E22 card just to feed Yggy AES3. I need this card to do what it was designed for.

The fact that it has worked very well for others as a AES3 source is a great additional benefit.
I'd be hard pressed to spend $400 on a USB thingy that only dose this.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #9,408 of 12,059
I know it's impossible to quantify these things but, in your opinion, how much of an improvement is going AES via the SU-1 instead of USB5?

The SU-1 is tempting me, but maybe I should just wait a few months for Mike to release his new USB solution....

The improvement, to me, is rather subtle to be honest. When I'm using the AES out from the Singxer I hear a slight improvement in head-space and micro detail retrieval. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your music of choice. I would personally wait on getting a Singxer module until the usb mods come out this year.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #9,409 of 12,059
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #9,410 of 12,059
I have been having problems with my Yggy 'booting' on a warm start since I powered it down for two weeks after a holiday.
Symptom is no audio, but feedback is typically there (eg. relay switching on frequency changes via USB etc)

I noticed when there is no sound, one of the LED's on the main PCB isn't lit (labelled D5 in the pic) -- does anyone have any idea what that LED represents?

Tried various things (inputs/outputs/power sources/cables/etc), but mainly just looking for answers on the purpose of the LED pictured

EDIT: Attached photo initially but unsure if that worked since there isn't obvious UI feedback to suggest such.

Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HydgcZ5koFLSrvx78

HydgcZ5koFLSrvx78

Attachments

• yggy-mainboard-led-d5.jpg
    yggy-mainboard-led-d5.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #9,411 of 12,059
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #9,413 of 12,059
I have been having problems with my Yggy 'booting' on a warm start since I powered it down for two weeks after a holiday.
Symptom is no audio, but feedback is typically there (eg. relay switching on frequency changes via USB etc)

I noticed when there is no sound, one of the LED's on the main PCB isn't lit (labelled D5 in the pic) -- does anyone have any idea what that LED represents?

Tried various things (inputs/outputs/power sources/cables/etc), but mainly just looking for answers on the purpose of the LED pictured

EDIT: Attached photo initially but unsure if that worked since there isn't obvious UI feedback to suggest such.

Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HydgcZ5koFLSrvx78

HydgcZ5koFLSrvx78

Contact Schiit for repair.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #9,414 of 12,059
Given what this thread has become this seems as good a place as any to ask, what is the ideal way to connect a pc. A couple years ago when I was looking it seemed like people either liked the mutec or the rednet 3 if they were willing to set it up. I just recently got the yggy. Right now my setup is windows pc to yggy to bhse to 007mk1. I use it 90% for gaming so if there is lag or connectivity issues with the rednet that won't be a viable option. I'm also not interested in chaining many devices together. What would be considered the optimal method? I've been looking all over and can't find anything recent on the topic.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #9,415 of 12,059
If you have the latest version with Gen 5 USB; then USB is the simplest and as good as the other inputs. If it isn't, then use a Schiit Eitr (USB to SPDIF).

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #9,416 of 12,059
Given what this thread has become this seems as good a place as any to ask, what is the ideal way to connect a pc. A couple years ago when I was looking it seemed like people either liked the mutec or the rednet 3 if they were willing to set it up. I just recently got the yggy. Right now my setup is windows pc to yggy to bhse to 007mk1. I use it 90% for gaming so if there is lag or connectivity issues with the rednet that won't be a viable option. I'm also not interested in chaining many devices together. What would be considered the optimal method? I've been looking all over and can't find anything recent on the topic.
I went from Mutec MC3+ usb to atterotech unDaes-o Dante didnt have any lag issues.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #9,419 of 12,059
I have a Mjolnir 2 is Ygg worth it? Can it take the full benifit of Ygg or I should stick to GumBi as everyone else does?

Yggy improves everything downstream. With it, I can put on any of my "mid-fi purgatory":) cans (HD6--, DT8--, K7--) and not want anything more for days.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #9,420 of 12,059
I have a Mjolnir 2 is Ygg worth it? Can it take the full benifit of Ygg or I should stick to GumBi as everyone else does?

I too have a Mjolnir 2 and a few months ago added a Gumby (with the gen 5 USB). I couldn't be happier. I already had a good DAC (Cambridge Audio 851D), but the Gumby is absolutely more resolving, revealing, and smooth as glass. What it can do with regular old redbook cd's (that have been ripped to an AIFF file) is astonishing. I honestly couldn't care less about whether a recording is available in hi-res anymore, I only care about the quality of the recording itself. I definitely considered a Yggy, but it being double the price was a big pill to swallow. Couple that with the fact that I read that some people actually prefer the sound of the Gumby helped me to decide that I should at least try it, and I'm really glad I did. My chain: Mac mini (using Pure Music and Sonarworks Ref 4) - Gumby (through a Curious USB cable, $400 well-spent, IMO) - Mjolnir 2 (with ifi converted 6922's) - Focal Clear's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back