Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #9,421 of 12,304
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #9,422 of 12,304
This is all that's needed to add aoip to a system?

No, you will additionally need a piece of software DVS (Dante Virtual Soundcard from audinate.com that costs $30.
And, then an PoE injector, something like this to power the device I mentioned in my previous post. Alternatively, you can buy an Ethernet switch with PoE ports.

The only limitation that may bother is that sample rate needs to be changed manually when needed. IT is not a problem for me because most of my listening comprises Pandora and Apple Music. This limitation too may be overcome by buying a USB to Dante converter that will force you to fix the sample rate at 48k and your contents will be upsampled/downsampled as needed. Note that, if you buy one, you will not need to buy DVS software.

Since I do not know how much familiar you are with computer/networking, some of this may not make sense. If so, please PM me and I can answer any specific question that you may still have.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #9,423 of 12,304
just received by yggy back from ca -- it got the a2 upgrade. only been in action for 24 hours, but initial impressions are quite positive -- there seems to be additional finesse in the sonic palette.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #9,424 of 12,304
I was in Burbank for work today, which I figured wasn't too far from Newhall, so I slid on over the Schiitr and spent some time there with my Focal Utopias. I walked out with a brand new Yggdrasil. Even straight out of the box and feeding my Jotunheim, it's impressing the cr@p out of me. The idea that it's going to get even better as it burns it excites me. I can't imagine. Every band in the spectrum comes out exactly the way it's supposed to. I'm very pleased!

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #9,427 of 12,304
Hi my friends, any update to Yggy coming in the near future? I am planning to get one but if new update is imminent I can wait a tad bit.
Hi my friend, I think the new update coming to schiit dacs would be the new USB implementation that mike talked about in interviews. I am almost certain that this new update will be another user serviceable update ala the gen2 USB update. No idea when schiit will release it but as far as “holding out” you really don’t need to unless you really want to save $150 or so (or however much the board will cost)

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #9,428 of 12,304
Hi my friends, any update to Yggy coming in the near future? I am planning to get one but if new update is imminent I can wait a tad bit.

When I was at the Schiitr, the guy said that there are going to be a lot of new product launches this year but no major updates to the Yggy. I felt very comfortable purchasing. Remember that the Yggy is fully upgradeable and modular. That was part of the reason I went with it over other similarly priced DACs.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #9,429 of 12,304
Mike is also planning a digital preamp that may have a BWD output, which I could imagine leading to a BWD input module for the Yggdrasil, possibly replacing the USB input or, more likely due to greater connector flexibility, replacing the board that has the other four inputs. Probably not in the "near future", I suppose.
So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well. It could also have slots for an optional Gadget and maybe for my other idea music processor as well. More on that in a future post. We already have such a device with a reduced feature set on the market, Eitr. Think of it as an expanded, upgradable Eitr.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #9,430 of 12,304
When I was at the Schiitr, the guy said that there are going to be a lot of new product launches this year but no major updates to the Yggy. I felt very comfortable purchasing. Remember that the Yggy is fully upgradeable and modular. That was part of the reason I went with it over other similarly priced DACs.

Wonder if that means their proprietary USB implementation, talked about in the interview, will only be in a separate chassis and not as a new board for Yggy?

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #9,432 of 12,304
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #9,434 of 12,304
Just noticed that Black finish is available on Schiit's website, just in case anybody has been waiting for it.

I have a black Jotunheim and the powder coating doesn’t seem terribly high quality to me. Some of it has chipped off. Could be a problem unique to my unit. I have a silver Yggy and it definitely feels more premium.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,435 of 12,304
I wanted a black one, but very happy with the silver:slight_smile:

IMG_20190129_144226323.jpg

My black Jot is still as new.

I acquired the Esoteric after Yggy, it is redbook magic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back