Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #9,391 of 12,235
Has this ever happened to anyone?

My Yggy v2 input selector when moved from USB to coax (for Oppo BDP-80 input) resulted in repeated clicking.
I had to leave and later setup USB input to laptop as I usually do and it works.
Now when I move through inputs I only here the USB input (laptop w/Spotify or JRiver)

I don't even know how the input could detect that. Must be a computer (Yggy) routing issue and not a physical input?

I haven't changed the coax connection. Everything has been stable.
Yggy has been turned on since I got it.

Sorry to hear that does sound like you have a problem and need to contact Schiit customer service. As you push the selector switch lights should cycle through the five inputs and the sample rate lights should light up on inputs you have connected. You could power cycle the Yggy to see if that fixes the problem.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #9,392 of 12,235
Sorry to hear that does sound like you have a problem and need to contact Schiit customer service. As you push the selector switch lights should cycle through the five inputs and the sample rate lights should light up on inputs you have connected. You could power cycle the Yggy to see if that fixes the problem.
Thanks for the input. I turned off Yggy for 30 seconds, then back on. Now cycles through inputs normally.
Must be some computer input selector glitch that (like all computers) may need a reboot once in a while.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #9,393 of 12,235
Thanks for the input. I turned off Yggy for 30 seconds, then back on. Now cycles through inputs normally.
Must be some computer input selector glitch that (like all computers) may need a reboot once in a while.
Yep, I have had some issues where the YGGY gets a subpar signal and needs a restart to come out of it.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #9,394 of 12,235
I too have had the same input problem. Cycled power and fixed the issue. Hasn't happened again for six months.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #9,398 of 12,235
Yes I have had most all issues that can happen with Yggy.

From not seeing a signal or dropped, to a click spasm, I have said before Yggdrasil is touchy, but any problem is solved with a reboot.

I reboot weekly because of this, also the many sources and inputs I use is probably contributing to my more than average issues.

Anyway I don't see this as an issue actually, nothing a flick of the switch and 30 seconds or so won't cure.
Also when I change inputs I do not do it quickly.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #9,399 of 12,235
Yes I have had most all issues that can happen with Yggy.

From not seeing a signal or dropped, to a click spasm, I have said before Yggdrasil is touchy, but any problem is solved with a reboot.

I reboot weekly because of this, also the many sources and inputs I use is probably contributing to my more than average issues.

Anyway I don't see this as an issue actually, nothing a flick of the switch and 30 seconds or so won't cure.
Also when I change inputs I do not do it quickly.

Likewise. Moffat commented at one point that most digital, including Yggy, needs to be "burped" occasionally. I do the iMac, the unDAES-O Ethernet interface, and the Yggy.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #9,400 of 12,235
Yes I agree that every once in a while I too 'reset' the JggyB, and the Mac, as in a cold boot, rather than a restart.
But I usually restart the player on a daily basis and dump the cached files as shown in the 'Activity Monitor">Memory window when they grow larger than ≈2.5GB.

I notice a change in the SQ after these 'resets'.

JJ

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #9,401 of 12,235
I get some heat even just saying USB sucks
And it does to me compared to SPIDIF from my CD transport to BNC.

Going to a Lynx E22 pci-e card to Yggy AES3, but I need this card anyway for the pro audio IO.

I need the analog I/O and digital out to Yggy is a nice benefit, also a very good one from my research at other places.

I still need the A/D and D/A with the minimal latency this interface is all about.
Using Yggy will be for pleasure and mastering not mixing.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #9,402 of 12,235
To those using a Mac Mini as a source, what is your preferred connection to Yggy2? USB5 direct, toslink direct, or a converter that lets you use coax, BNC or AES? Apart from briefly using a toslink-to-coax splitter when I first got my Yggy2 to facilitate an easy A/B comparison to my Bifrost4490, I've solely used the USB5 input, because it behaves better than toslink when I'm using Audirvana+ as my player (I get fewer hangs on playlists containing different sample rates). USB out of my Mac Mini sounds great to my ears but I'm wondering if it's even better with AES? Is a USB-to-AES converter possible on a Mac?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #9,403 of 12,235
To those using a Mac Mini as a source, what is your preferred connection to Yggy2? USB5 direct, toslink direct, or a converter that lets you use coax, BNC or AES? Apart from briefly using a toslink-to-coax splitter when I first got my Yggy2 to facilitate an easy A/B comparison to my Bifrost4490, I've solely used the USB5 input, because it behaves better than toslink when I'm using Audirvana+ as my player (I get fewer hangs on playlists containing different sample rates). USB out of my Mac Mini sounds great to my ears but I'm wondering if it's even better with AES? Is a USB-to-AES converter possible on a Mac?

You might want to wait into 2019. Moffat and Stoddard say they're "trying again" to build a great USB interface. In the RMAF interview, it sounds like it's nearly ready.

The Singxer SU-1 is well regarded and has a nice variety of outputs, including AES. Sold in the US by Kitsune. Don't know about UK. https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #9,404 of 12,235

Firstly, I'm using a Gumby (brand new Gen 5 USB), not a Yggy, but I think USB sounds great now. MacMini (using PureMusic) is my source and I previously used an EITR en route to a Cambridge 851D upsampling DAC. I did also get a Curious USB cable at about the same time as the Gumby, so hard to say how much credit is due to the Gen 5 USB and how much to the cable, but I'm entirely satisfied with my USB connection now.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #9,405 of 12,235
I own a yggy and a singxer su-1. I think they did a good job with the usb section. I definitely think there are rooms for improvements but the USB gen 5 is pretty solid. The singxer is a nice unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back