Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #9,376 of 12,381
I'll add some preliminary impressions of the Yggy. I know that 3 days is not a lot of time to spend with any piece of audio equipment (especially with the reports of Yggdrasil needing a lot of time to break in) but there are a few things that stand out to me. From the moment I first listened with the Yggy I can say that percussion has sounded amazing. It's hard to find the balance with drums: most systems I've ever listened to are either too relaxed or have accentuated drums that I find fatiguing. When listening to Steely Dan's Aja Steve Gadd's drum solo sounds right. Veering a bit from drums I decided to listen to my copy of Mercury Living Presence 1812 Overture. Suffice it to say I was a fan of the cannon. On to other instruments I am quite fond of how the Yggy makes stringed instruments come through. It almost has an analog sound which I can definitely get behind. I prefer the sound of violins on my turntable, but the Yggy is the first dac I've owned that does them justice. Double bass works sound wonderful. On to pianos: this DAC nails it. I personally feel piano is a great example of what digital recordings offer. The Yggy definitely does not disappoint. Vocals sound good, but I really hope they are an area where increased burn in will improve.

Of course there's one negative to the Yggy: it is exposing my amp as the weak link in my system. It's not that my amp is bad (far from it), but with the Yggy and my Utopias I can't help but feel my WA7 is holding me back. I will definitely say the Utopia seems to love tube amps, so if I get the upgrade itch I will either end up buying another tube amp or building one. Just depends on the amount of free time work allows me.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #9,377 of 12,381
I've had my Yggy (Gen 5 bought directly from Schiit) for about six weeks now, moving up from a Gumby. To share my impressions.....

I have yet to compare the Yggy to another Dac, something I did constantly with Dacs I owned. Even with the Gumby I had a MQA Dac (Project) that I switched between with a Sys. The Project is going to be sold. I'm satisfied with the Yggy.
That day I unboxed it, turned it on and its not had a button pushed or been powered off since. Reading about warm up, I expected some schreeching monster trying to output noise on first listen. Instead it was better than the Gumby, even when the case was still cold to the touch from riding in the Fedex truck all day. (I'm in the north, and its cold this time of year). I have no doubt the sound has improved during the ensuing weeks but as I get several hours a day on it there was never an A to B comparison. It slowly changed, but I didn't have a stunning moment but instead enjoyed a gradual improvement.

As I'm a constant looker for audio stuff, having the Yggy allows me to relax and not worry about better Dacs. I'm sure there are however I'm not obsessing changing. In fact, I'm so happy with the Yggy I haven't had any thoughts about changing which is unusual for me.

Tidal > Roon > PC USB Out > Yggy SE Out > THX AAA 789 SE Out

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #9,378 of 12,381
Roon > SOtM SMS-200 Streamer > Yggy/Denafrips Ares > Cavalli Liquid Platinum

The above is my chain. I just purchased a A1-G5 Yggy from a fellow Head-fier and started setting
it up yesterday. Prior to the Yggy, the chain was working fine with USB out of the SMS-200 to the
Ares DAC.
It is not working with the Yggy and I am assuming some incompatibility between the Yggy and
SMS-200.

Direct USB from my Windows 10 pc to the Yggy works fine.
Has anyone run a similar chain, or experienced similar problems? Any help or advice would
be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #9,382 of 12,381
When you say 'Not working', what do you mean? I can understand that there is no sound but does sample rate light lit? Can you post a picture here?

I will try to post a picture when I get home -- the sample rate light is not lit - and I believe the 48 and x4 lights are lit

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #9,383 of 12,381
I'll add some preliminary impressions of the Yggy. I know that 3 days is not a lot of time to spend with any piece of audio equipment (especially with the reports of Yggdrasil needing a lot of time to break in) but there are a few things that stand out to me. From the moment I first listened with the Yggy I can say that percussion has sounded amazing. It's hard to find the balance with drums: most systems I've ever listened to are either too relaxed or have accentuated drums that I find fatiguing. When listening to Steely Dan's Aja Steve Gadd's drum solo sounds right. Veering a bit from drums I decided to listen to my copy of Mercury Living Presence 1812 Overture. Suffice it to say I was a fan of the cannon. On to other instruments I am quite fond of how the Yggy makes stringed instruments come through. It almost has an analog sound which I can definitely get behind. I prefer the sound of violins on my turntable, but the Yggy is the first dac I've owned that does them justice. Double bass works sound wonderful. On to pianos: this DAC nails it. I personally feel piano is a great example of what digital recordings offer. The Yggy definitely does not disappoint. Vocals sound good, but I really hope they are an area where increased burn in will improve.

Of course there's one negative to the Yggy: it is exposing my amp as the weak link in my system. It's not that my amp is bad (far from it), but with the Yggy and my Utopias I can't help but feel my WA7 is holding me back. I will definitely say the Utopia seems to love tube amps, so if I get the upgrade itch I will either end up buying another tube amp or building one. Just depends on the amount of free time work allows me.

The new Analog 2 Yggys don't seem to take as long to reach optimum sound as the older ones. I definitely noticed significant improvement after three days, then about 2-3 weeks for full potential leaving on continuously. I had a power outage that lasted long enough for my battery backup to fail so my Yggy A2 cooled down. Once the power came back it only seemed to take about 3-4 days to reach great sound again on the second warm up.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #9,384 of 12,381
The vocals are definitely rounding in to shape. I was expecting a longer break in period but it sounds amazing now. It's hard to describe the overall tonal characteristics of the Yggy. The music just sounds right. I wouldn't describe the Yggy as warm, but it definitely isn't too bright. With my Utopias that is a definite blessing. I would probably prefer a touch more warmth in my system but I'm pretty amazed at what the Yggy has done in my system. I do see a headphone amp upgrade in my near future. Definitely looking at another tube amp. Any amp recommendations are appreciated. My poor wallet...

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #9,385 of 12,381
The vocals are definitely rounding in to shape. I was expecting a longer break in period but it sounds amazing now. It's hard to describe the overall tonal characteristics of the Yggy. The music just sounds right. I wouldn't describe the Yggy as warm, but it definitely isn't too bright. With my Utopias that is a definite blessing. I would probably prefer a touch more warmth in my system but I'm pretty amazed at what the Yggy has done in my system. I do see a headphone amp upgrade in my near future. Definitely looking at another tube amp. Any amp recommendations are appreciated. My poor wallet...
Gustard H20 with Sparkos SS3602s is my favorite so far. But with MrSpeakers Ether Flow series, unfortunately nobody has donated a pair of Utopias to me yet. *sadface*

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #9,386 of 12,381
I have lots of good, well-recorded classical, jazz, and world music to show off my Y A2, but among those, Ejdeha by Gordon Grdina's The Marrow (Songlines/Bandcamp) is amazing for the depth and separation among instruments: oud, bass, cello, drums. Each string and drum beat has its own place in the soundstage. The lower pitch tones have heft, occupy a volume of space in the stage.

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #9,387 of 12,381

To your point of the Yggy's break in, mine sounded better than my Gumby when it was still cold to the touch, fresh off the Fedex truck. After about 30 seconds of burn in it was, and still is, completely awesome. I also agree with how it "just sounds right". Its seemingly transparent to my senses as I now listen to my music whereas I used to listen to my chain producing the music. Huge difference!

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #9,388 of 12,381
To your point of the Yggy's break in, mine sounded better than my Gumby when it was still cold to the touch, fresh off the Fedex truck. After about 30 seconds of burn in it was, and still is, completely awesome. I also agree with how it "just sounds right". Its seemingly transparent to my senses as I now listen to my music whereas I used to listen to my chain producing the music. Huge difference!

Interesting impressions. To me A2 was a bit screetchy and compressed when first turned on.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #9,389 of 12,381

If you are looking for a TOTL heirloom tube amp talk to Craig at Eddie Current and see if he has parts left to make you a Zana Deux S. Last time I checked he was discontinuing the ZDS but was able to build one or two more. Another option would be to talk to Justin at Amps and Sound to get his recommendation on which of his tube amps would be the best fit for your 80 ohm Utopias.

I never considered Utopias because I owned a pair of Elears and the weight bothered me, so I bought HD800S and built my system around the headphones, using a Kenzie amp with 32/300 ohm outputs.

If you want to keep amplifier cost under $1000 the Utopias are not considered that hard to drive and some owners report they get great sound using a Schiit Mjolnir 2. You could also then run balanced from the Yggdrasil > Mjolnir > Utopias with new interconnect and headphone XLR cables.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #9,390 of 12,381
Has this ever happened to anyone?

My Yggy v2 input selector when moved from USB to coax (for Oppo BDP-80 input) resulted in repeated clicking.
I had to leave and later setup USB input to laptop as I usually do and it works.
Now when I move through inputs I only here the USB input (laptop w/Spotify or JRiver)

I don't even know how the input could detect that. Must be a computer (Yggy) routing issue and not a physical input?

I haven't changed the coax connection. Everything has been stable.
Yggy has been turned on since I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back