Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #9,496 of 12,323
I'm about to send my Yggy in for the Analog 2 update. I'm not sure about doing to Gen 5 USB update as well since I use the AES / EBU input -- anyone know if that input is improved by the Gen 5 upgrade?

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #9,497 of 12,323
Yes it is improved.
And is ≈ equal (or better) to a good SPDIF input.
And AES, depending upon what source you use for the AES conversion, can be in the same class as SPDIF, or better.
But Mike did say that AES was his 'choice' at one point, and I still prefer it to any other input.
And granted my particular digital audio h/w path is 'non-standard', and I now consider that the Gen-5 usb input has been elevated to being a decent backup, in case of 'difficulty'.

IOW it considerably closed up the gap, but did not surpass my AOIP to AES setup.

JJ

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #9,498 of 12,323
I'm about to send my Yggy in for the Analog 2 update. I'm not sure about doing to Gen 5 USB update as well since I use the AES / EBU input -- anyone know if that input is improved by the Gen 5 upgrade?

Yes, it's definitely improved. For me, however, still not the equal of Dante Ethernet/AES file delivery.

Also Schiit's 2018 RMAF interview said their new proprietary USB implementation will be released in 2019.

(edit-JJ's response beat me to the punch)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #9,499 of 12,323
Mikes BWD implementation should/could eclipse AOIP just due to the simplicity and singleness of the end use, since it wouldn't have to deal with the overhead that pro audio requires.
And if I were cogitating how he'd go about implementing it, I figure he'd use their newly developed USB s/w implementation and add in a 'sense' the BWD front end, and that way he'd have enough pairs for the BWD and power, OR it could be just a 'straight' USB connection, without having to re-invent the rest of the wheel so to speak.

Their newly developed USB implementation should be remarkable, that is if it does what I'm figur'n it oughta.

JJ

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #9,500 of 12,323

I believe you are asking whether the Gen 5 USB update improves the AES input. Personally, I would be surprised if that were the case, the Gen 5 USB update should only improve the USB input.

The two quotes below imply otherwise, but maybe they were just saying that the Analog 2 upgrade improves the AES input. I suppose you could look at it that way because the improved output of Analog 2 upgrade should be enjoyable from any input.

Yes it is improved.
And is ≈ equal (or better) to a good SPDIF input.
And AES, depending upon what source you use for the AES conversion, can be in the same class as SPDIF, or better.
But Mike did say that AES was his 'choice' at one point, and I still prefer it to any other input.
And granted my particular digital audio h/w path is 'non-standard', and I now consider that the Gen-5 usb input has been elevated to being a decent backup, in case of 'difficulty'.

IOW it considerably closed up the gap, but did not surpass my AOIP to AES setup.

JJ

Yes, it's definitely improved. For me, however, still not the equal of Dante Ethernet/AES file delivery.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #9,501 of 12,323
I had the same problem with WASAPI Exclusive mode in Qobuz until I changed the Windows properties of the output device to default to 192k. Works fine with the following settings on both of my systems including the Yggdrasil which changes settings as expected based on the bitrate/bitdepth.

Edit - the solution was probably related to the checkbox settings rather than the bitrate, Fixed this a month ago and can't remember exactly what the settings were prior to the fix.

Yep I was using my wife's Ultrabook whith USB not my regular DAW computer.

Fixed

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #9,502 of 12,323
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #9,506 of 12,323
I've just returned home having been away for a few months and I powered up my hifi today (including Yggy2). My setup is as follows:

iTunes 12.8.2 > MacOS 10.11.6 > MacMini 2010 > Yggy2 USB Gen5 > Yamaha A-S3000 balanced inputs

Started to play music and all appeared ok for a minute or so, then the sound stopped, Yggy lost its locking light, and the sound started playing through the MacMini's internal speaker. A few seconds later Yggy's locking light clicked on again and the sound returned. A few seconds later the same events repeat, and so on...

Has anyone else
encountered this problem? I've owned my Yggy2 for more than a year now and this is the first time this has happened. Nothing has changed in my setup. All cables are the same as before and are firmly seated. Trying to figure out what the issue is. Maybe I should just give Yggy a few hours to warm up as it's been off for a few months?

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #9,507 of 12,323
Have you tried the simple things first?
Power down everything and then back up, including the mac and the yamaha.
Unplug, then replug the USB cable (while everything is down is best).

JJ

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #9,508 of 12,323
I've just returned home having been away for a few months and I powered up my hifi today (including Yggy2). My setup is as follows:

iTunes 12.8.2 > MacOS 10.11.6 > MacMini 2010 > Yggy2 USB Gen5 > Yamaha A-S3000 balanced inputs

Started to play music and all appeared ok for a minute or so, then the sound stopped, Yggy lost its locking light, and the sound started playing through the MacMini's internal speaker. A few seconds later Yggy's locking light clicked on again and the sound returned. A few seconds later the same events repeat, and so on...

Has anyone else
encountered this problem? I've owned my Yggy2 for more than a year now and this is the first time this has happened. Nothing has changed in my setup. All cables are the same as before and are firmly seated. Trying to figure out what the issue is. Maybe I should just give Yggy a few hours to warm up as it's been off for a few months?
I have had flakey things happen with Yggy 2.
They have been fixed with a quick (10-15 sec) power off/power on cycle.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #9,510 of 12,323
Once or twice my Mac Mini wouldn't recognize my Yggdrasil after sitting for a few days. Despite repeated control panel changes, the solution was to just reboot the Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back