Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #9,481 of 12,334
Thanks.
Other bit rates in Qobuz worked okay on Exclusive mode.
I didn't find another 192 file to sample with Qobuz before I had to leave work.

EDIT
Same file 24/192 source (Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs) didn't work (distortion, sounded slowed down) with Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) on my home Jotunheim Multibit DAC.

EDIT #2 (Jotunheim Multibit DAC w/ Qobuz)
Norah Jones Come Away With Me (24Bit /192 kHz) same:
Wasapi - works
Wasapi (Exclusive Mode) - doesn't work

So, 24/192 works on both my Yggy and Jot, so not DAC and not USB cables.
Seems like some interaction with Qobuz at 24Bit /192 kHz & Schiit MB DACs.

EDIT #3
I downloaded the Qobuz app to my A&Futura SE100 DAP.
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Signs (24Bit /192 kHz) works.
Not sure of any "audio output setting". Just works -- apparently at 24/192.
So, seems like it isn't a source file issue

Okay Mike I tested it, and yes wasapi exclusive mode is totally borked.

It only sounds normal at 16 bit 44.1

Any high-resolution file is distorted.

when I switch out of exclusive mode and switch the bitrate manually it works just fine.

This is a Qobuz issue!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #9,482 of 12,334

when I switch out of exclusive mode and switch the bitrate manually it works just fine.

This is a Qobuz issue!
Thanks for checking on it.
The Qobuz Hi-Res files work okay on my A&futura SE100 DAP, so it is something with the computer (vs DAP) implementation of the Wasapi settings?
I can try with another DAC (eg Emotiva DC-1) and see.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #9,483 of 12,334
Wonder if that means their proprietary USB implementation, talked about in the interview, will only be in a separate chassis and not as a new board for Yggy?
The new USB interface uses the same size daughter board as the existing. When the upgrade is released it will require a board swap inside Yggdrasil.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #9,484 of 12,334

This is a Qobuz issue!
Or an issue with your PC. Qobuz high-res files work perfectly in 2 systems in my house, one using Yggdrasil and the other using Gungnir MB DAC.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #9,485 of 12,334

This is a Qobuz issue!

I had the same problem with WASAPI Exclusive mode in Qobuz until I changed the Windows properties of the output device to default to 192k. Works fine with the following settings on both of my systems including the Yggdrasil which changes settings as expected based on the bitrate/bitdepth.

upload_2019-2-18_10-26-58.png

Edit - the solution was probably related to the checkbox settings rather than the bitrate, Fixed this a month ago and can't remember exactly what the settings were prior to the fix.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #9,486 of 12,334
Or an issue with your PC. Qobuz high-res files work perfectly in 2 systems in my house, one using Yggdrasil and the other using Gungnir MB DAC.
Thanks for checking the variables of my PC and user.

I had the same problem with WASAPI Exclusive mode in Qobuz until I changed the Windows properties of the output device to default to 192k. Works fine with the following settings on both of my systems including the Yggdrasil which changes settings as expected based on the bitrate/bitdepth.

Edit - the solution was probably related to the checkbox settings rather than the bitrate, Fixed this a month ago and can't remember exactly what the settings were prior to the fix.

I went in and switched settings.
I think I hadn't paid attention to this as the Yggy didn't care.
It was on 16/44.1 -- likely from some other incompatibility issue I had to revert to that.
Changing default to 24/192 fixed it!
Thanks much!

I'll keep playing around with my month of Qobuz Studio for free. Likely buy something to see how that compares to HD Tracks. Then maybe go to yearly Sublime+.

Appreciate the forum troubleshooting!

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #9,488 of 12,334
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #9,489 of 12,334
Thanks for checking the variables of my PC and user.

I went in and switched settings.
I think I hadn't paid attention to this as the Yggy didn't care.
It was on 16/44.1 -- likely from some other incompatibility issue I had to revert to that.
Changing default to 24/192 fixed it!
Thanks much!

I'll keep playing around with my month of Qobuz Studio for free. Likely buy something to see how that compares to HD Tracks. Then maybe go to yearly Sublime+.

Appreciate the forum troubleshooting!

Fantastic! I'll send you the bill for services rendered :beerchug:

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #9,490 of 12,334
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #9,492 of 12,334
The new USB interface uses the same size daughter board as the existing. When the upgrade is released it will require a board swap inside Yggdrasil.

I’ve gathered from what Baldr has written that the new USB implementation will have a separate BWD line and connection. In order to use the clock at the DAC as the system Masterclock. If so, that should require new chassis back plate too. But I’m just speculating at this time.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #9,493 of 12,334
I’ve gathered from what Baldr has written that the new USB implementation will have a separate BWD line and connection. If so, that should require new chassis bottom/back plate. But I’m just speculating at this time.
You are confusing two development projects. There is the new Schiit-developed USB receiver, and then there is the proposed BWD-based proprietary interface that Baldr has said he might or might not implement on the proposed CD-spinner. The new USB interface will be a plug-and-play replacement for the existing Gen 5 USB card.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #9,494 of 12,334
You are confusing two development projects. There is the new Schiit-developed USB receiver, and then there is the proposed BWD-based proprietary interface that Baldr has said he might or might not implement on the proposed CD-spinner. The new USB interface will be a plug-and-play replacement for the existing Gen 5 USB card.

Got it. Thx,

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #9,495 of 12,334

The TIDAL app warns you to do this and wouldn't play otherwise. Qobuz could learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back