Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,996 of 12,235
I don't think you will get a definitive answer here. I think it's going to be track dependent and/or recording dependent. So you'll have to figure it out for each one and decide for yourself what each track will need.

That sounds like the antithesis of being able to just relax and enjoy the music.  If what's been written online is actually true (that 92% of music recorded in the US is inverted) then it would make sense to just leave the phase inversion feature on all the time and live with the 8% margin of error.  Basically I'm hoping people who know more about this subject than I do can confirm for me that this isn't just nonsense and can actually be trusted.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,997 of 12,235
In my experience when the absolute phase reversal is 'correct' the extreme bottom end reaches further down to below 20Hz
or not when out of phase.

There is also a shift of the soundstage towards or away from my POV.

And sometimes it doesn't make much if any difference which phase is being used as the recording is 'nondescript' in this regard.

If your system is able to resolve these sorts of details and you can hear them, it will become clear enough which setting to use.
If there isn't any appreciable difference between one phase and the other then it doesn't matter which setting you use.

For myself I added a whole nuther column in my player to identify which phase that track/album is in.
Thus far most albums are in 'normal phase', but there are many which aren't.

JJ

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,998 of 12,235
Why doesn't Yggy have two balanced outputs? Surely a common use case includes two balanced amps when you're up beyond 2k DACs.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,999 of 12,235
In my experience when the absolute phase reversal is 'correct' the extreme bottom end reaches further down to below 20Hz

And sometimes it doesn't make much if any difference which phase is being used as the recording is 'nondescript' in this regard.

If your system is able to resolve these sorts of details and you can hear them, it will become clear enough which setting to use.
If there isn't any appreciable difference between one phase and the other then it doesn't matter which setting you use.

For myself I added a whole nuther column in my player to identify which phase that track/album is in.

JJ

Can you point out some CD's noted for having this "defect" or genre's known to be reversed?

I have a pretty large selction odf stuff. Can't find an effect yet.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,000 of 12,235
Guys, I'm encountering a strange behavior with the Yggy.

I lock my Windows 8.1 computer when I'm done in the evening and come back to it in the morning.
Usually the Yggy sample rate lights were still on in the morning but lately the sample rate lights are off until I play something on the computer. Did anyone encounter this? I'm worried that something could be wrong with it.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,002 of 12,235
  Usually the Yggy sample rate lights were still on in the morning but lately the sample rate lights are off until I play something on the computer. Did anyone encounter this?

I'm not sure why the Yggy sample rate light was on leaving it idle all night. Normal operation is that Ygg goes into standby mode after not receiving PCM input for awhile.
Mine actually makes an audible click sound when it comes out of idle, I'm pretty sure it's using a transfer switch.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,003 of 12,235
  Why doesn't Yggy have two balanced outputs? Surely a common use case includes two balanced amps when you're up beyond 2k DACs.

Because it was designed as a no-frills DAC with the highest sonic performance possible at ~2K. They stuck with that vision, making a lot of us happy in the process -- we don't want to spend $4K+ for the same DAC with big fancy case and extensive I/O ($20K+ if Schiit was on the Esoteric/VAC/MSB pricing model, lol). One set of outputs is perfect for most headphone setups. You could get splitters, and also some headphone amps have a loop-out for this purpose. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2,004 of 12,235
I'm not sure why the Yggy sample rate light was on leaving it idle all night. Normal operation is that Ygg goes into standby mode after not receiving PCM input for awhile.
Mine actually makes an audible click sound when it comes out of idle, I'm pretty sure it's using a transfer switch.

Just to clarify something: the computer isn't set to go to sleep/standby or anything like that. I just lock it and set the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes.
If it was set to sleep I wouldn't be concerned at all

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,005 of 12,235
Just to clarify something: the computer isn't set to go to sleep/standby or anything like that. I just lock it and set the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes.
If it was set to sleep I wouldn't be concerned at all

It depends on all the applications you have. For example, when I turn my desktop on and don't listen to audio, the Ygg doesn't turn on. The second I open an application that has an audio stream, is clicks on.

Now, there are some applications, that (to me) don't seem to have any audio stream, but the Ygg still clicks on. I don't think the Ygg necessarily needs a live audio stream from the PC to come out of idle. I think any application that sends a hardware ping to check if there is an audio card attached to the PC, will turn it on (from my experience).

If you lock your PC, there's a good change some type of applications is sending a hardware ping every so often to check if a PC audio card is attached, keeping the Ygg in active mode.
Could be that the one time it went idle for you, you happened to have zero applications open that would "ping" the PC audio.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,006 of 12,235

It depends on all the applications you have. For example, when I turn my desktop on and don't listen to audio, the Ygg doesn't turn on. The second I open an application that has an audio stream, is clicks on.

Now, there are some applications, that (to me) don't seem to have any audio stream, but the Ygg still clicks on. I don't think the Ygg necessarily needs a live audio stream from the PC to come out of idle. I think any application that sends a hardware ping to check if there is an audio card attached to the PC, will turn it on (from my experience).

If you lock your PC, there's a good change some type of applications is sending a hardware ping every so often to check if a PC audio card is attached, keeping the Ygg in active mode.
Could be that the one time it went idle for you, you happened to have zero applications open that would "ping" the PC audio.

Yep, I know how things are usually supposed to work. Thanks for taking the time to write 
beerchug.gif

It's just strange for that after months and months of using it the same way (reboot the pc, start the same app, lock the pc) without it going out of "active mode", it has now started going into "inactive mode" randomly. Maybe it has something to do with removing the Wyrd or some Windows Update...

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,008 of 12,235

JJ

This is my experience as well. I would say the most notable change then use the “right” phase is more subbase and a more organic sound. The soundstage can sound a bit more open in the “wrong” phase, but is not as realistic and deep IMO.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,009 of 12,235
Just Ordered a YGG and wondering how much of a difference does it make for a usb interface, on the website it saids YGG using Gen 3 USB, then would it be no difference at all for an upgrade to having an usb interface? And how much of a difference does those premium USB cables make?

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,010 of 12,235
  Just Ordered a YGG and wondering how much of a difference does it make for a usb interface, on the website it saids YGG using Gen 3 USB, then would it be no difference at all for an upgrade to having an usb interface? And how much of a difference does those premium USB cables make?

Some of us have found a notable difference using an external USB converter (to Yggy coax input) vs. the Yggy's Gen 3 USB. I definitely prefer using the Audiophilleo converter with my Yggy over its USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back