Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,014 of 12,235
While we're discussing USB to Coax/Toslink converters, here are two in the more "less insane" price ranges:
Audio-GD DI-U8

and
Musiland Monitor 01 USD

though if you don't speak Chinese it's better to access their site via this link. The latter implements galvanic isolation:
"It also adopts professional audio transformer to execute isolation conversion processing for coaxial interface to enhance maximum transmission quality of digital signal."

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,015 of 12,235
Can you point out some CD's noted for having this "defect" or genre's known to be reversed?

I have a pretty large selction odf stuff. Can't find an effect yet.

This doesn't seem to be genre or even artist specific.
It seems more like random album specific.

here are a few albums that I have tagged as being reverse phased.

Flim and the BB's - Neon
Jean Luc Ponty - Civilized Evil
Joe Satriani - Not of this Earth
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

JJ

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,016 of 12,235
there's no guarantee that even if say you can determine polarity/phase "by ear" or by looking at the waveform of some specific instrument that any or all of the other stubs used in the mix are the same polarity in the same song, much less from track to track, across the whole album (yes vinyl could suffer from this too) or CD

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,017 of 12,235
I spent several hours checking some favorite recordings yesterday.  The conclusion I've reached is that, to an extent, it depends on the material and recording technique.  If there were multiple microphones I'm finding it's mostly a waste of time to even worry about the phase because what seems to happen most often is that one or two of the mics in the mix were out of phase with one or two others.  I've actually been able to observe which instruments/voices go in or out of absolute phase in quite a few recordings.  The easiest way to get the baseline is to determine which setting gives a greater sense of weight and depth to bass notes, but very often I find the lead vocals are not tied to the phase of the mic that was recording the drums.

Where the phase button seems to be quite handy is for stage recordings where a common mike(s) was used to record the whole band or in acoustic performances where there might only have been one microphone.  In this case if the absolute phase of the recording is inverted switching the mode on Yggy just straight up corrects it and you get a more organic sound with a deeper and more realistically 3-dimensional soundstage.  But not a lot of the recordings I checked fell into this category.

I think ultimately for my own personal use the button is going to be used situationally for certain specific recordings where I know it's worth the trouble to think about it.

As for Yggy, it's been fun following the break-in period.  It has sounded noticeably different everyday these past few days.  Only day 2 was bad, where it became very harsh and glassy throughout the treble range.  Today marks day 6 so I'm getting close to the fabled "moment" where things click into place.  I think I'm going to stay away for a couple of days and check in on day 8 and see what I hear.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,018 of 12,235
For me the phase issue is only relevant when I'm in 'HP listening mode', as it doesn't really matter much when the speakers are playing.

So ALWAYS keeping it in the 'proper phase' is a bit over the top, even for me…:atsmile:

It usually only becomes an issue when I miss hearing/feeling the extreme bottom end and I wonder where it went.

JJ

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,019 of 12,235
One last thing…

There really is far more subsonic bass on the music you already have than most are aware of.
And until you dial in your system, you might never suspect it was there in the first place.

There are instances of where a pipe organ will use 2 pedals and the subtractive harmonics will rattle my nogin, and I'll feel it in my chest.
Some EDM (Overwerk) and electronic bass (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) can do this as well.
Even foot falls on a raised stage (ie. Eric Clapton - Unplugged) can have a mighty impressive effect in this way.

This is where the 3 tweaks (sonarworks, SSBB, PRT) can be rather helpful in exploring this whole venue to discover just how much subsonic bass there truly is.

JJ

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,020 of 12,235

As for Yggy, it's been fun following the break-in period.  It has sounded noticeably different everyday these past few days.  Only day 2 was bad, where it became very harsh and glassy throughout the treble range.  Today marks day 6 so I'm getting close to the fabled "moment" where things click into place.  I think I'm going to stay away for a couple of days and check in on day 8 and see what I hear.

For me that didn't really happen until around the 250 - 300hr mark.  It was around then that I noticed a fairly significant change in the low end response of my Yggy.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #2,022 of 12,235
  is there a reason to pair ygg with rag over mjolnir 2 if im only going to use headphones?

Nope.
And many a person did the reverse, pairing the Ragnarok with the Gungnir - that is until the Yggdrasil was released 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back