Schiit we'd like to see
Oct 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #211 of 429
  Good points - I make software for a living so I can understand that!

The thing is that Schiit's (best selling?) Modi, Magni target demographic is tangential to another that they barely tap: Gamers !

gamer's are (the nature of demographics are stereotyped already so we can overlook that):
1.) headphone users
2.) value conscious 
3.) ala carte/modular/future upgrade friendly (marries to Schiit's core principles well)
4.) Potential "New Audiophile Recruits"

Well, that's why the SPDIF optical version of the Modi was made. No need to develop one's own processor and risk ending up with "crappy computer drivers" while messing with software to tap into that market when gaming motherboards have decent DSPs on it and an optical output that can carry the signal with virtual surround processing on it. It's still good value considering that, instead of selling gamers an additional aluminum box produced in limited numbers by a smaller factory for $99 (assuming they can maintain the price point if they're hiring software engineers to work on it), gamers who are likely to spend an additional $40 to $50 anyway to get a motherboard that has a good DSP as well as other features like Zx7 chipset for overclocking, software suite for overclocking and monitoring the CPU and GPU, X-Fire/SLI support, etc. Making a gaming DSP will likely necessitate using the optical Modi anyway.

And then there's another problem: unless one seriously listens to music on the same rig, that same $40 to $50 on the red motherboard over the blue motherboards nowadays can also get you a basic chip amp for driving a wider variety of headphones better, so someone really value-conscious will just pay that amount for a better mobo  that comes with a lot of other features and just hook up a headphone directly into it. My next build will use a red motherboard, likely from Gigabyte (for no real measurable reason I'm going for a mobo that uses the same op-amps as the amplifier in my reference system), and likely a DT770.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #215 of 429
I want one of those black t-shirts.....   gotta be a good markup there.........

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #218 of 429
Details
Now you can show everyone how dumb you are by wearing an advertising shirt for Schiit Audio.

Wow haha

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #219 of 429
Ya.....  I can't afford a Harley shirt

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #220 of 429
I know I should quit while I am behind but.........here is my OTHER DUMB idea.

How about a "hat" dac for a raspberry pi that would fit in the mani case with the new pi A+ board.

It would stack great. Be a great streamer.

You could call it "A**hat"  or maybe " Hatschiit"      "Hot pile of Streaming schitt"  ???????

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #221 of 429
One thing I would really like to see is an affordable current drive amp. The few offerings out there are well north of $1000 and I don't feel like there is anything preventing Schiit from making this at a lower price point. I don't care if it's Class A, AB or even D; just some sort of amp that works in current mode instead of voltage mode.

Speaking of Class D, I am very curious to see what Schiit is able to come up with using Class D topology. Even the guys at Bottlehead have a Class D amp now. Maybe it can be like a mini Ragnarok that can drive headphones and speakers, similar to how Modi Über is like a mini Bifrost.

A feature that I think is missing from the Ragnarok is remote control for the volume and input selection. Since the Ragnarok is driving speakers, it can get really annoying to have to walk up to the amp to adjust the volume every time. I realize that integrating remote control might be complicated because you'll probably need motor control for the volume knob. However convincing the wife to let me get a $1700 headphone amp is much harder than convincing her to let me get something that looks and functions like an integrated stereo receiver.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #222 of 429
Reviewing this thread, several of the products we'd like to see have been delivered:

Sys - Audio device switching.

Modi Optical - Modi-class DAC with optical in.

Modi 2 Uber - "Modi+" between Modi and Bifrost with coax, optical, and USB inputs.

Fulla - DAC/amp all-in-one; portable.

Valhalla 2/Lyr 2 - Preamp outs and gain switches.

Magni 2 Uber - Preamp outs ang gain swtiches...on a Magni!

Mani - Phono Preamp

So...what do we ask for now :D

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #225 of 429
I have to agree with some kind of rack or stand system for the modi and asgard 2 sized chassis. They are a pain in the butt to stack with the crappy rubber feet they give you, but I know that Schiit has said that there is no money to be made on folding some metal and selling it.

I saw Jason mention somewhere that they were working on 2 channel audio components and I nearly schiit myself. I really can't wait to see whatever it is they're cooking up in that realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back