Schiit we'd like to see
Oct 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #196 of 429
Availability of front power switches or a pretty Schiit power strip that extends the existing ones.

While I don't mind reaching around the back, my spouse approved cabinent makes that very difficult and has prevented any new Schiit from entering the house.

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #197 of 429
A preamp with phono stage to sit between the yggdrasil and ragnarok. Even better, outfit it with am/fm/hd tuners too.

Ragnarok is an integrated amp, so you just have to buy a Mani and plug it into one of the analog inputs on the Ragnarok, then use Ragnarok to switch between analog inputs. You're going to have to make some really sweet arguments to include tuners. I wouldn't imagine they'd ever want to put those in the same box as an amp or a DAC.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #198 of 429
i would like a small schiit sticker to attenuate the light of the leds of schiit products.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #199 of 429
Availability of front power switches or a pretty Schiit power strip that extends the existing ones.

While I don't mind reaching around the back, my spouse approved cabinent makes that very difficult and has prevented any new Schiit from entering the house.

Amen to that! Why do manufacturers continue to put the power switch on the back? Makes no ergonomic sense.
How much more can it cost to put the power switch on the front face?
One of my pet peeves about some audio gear. Are you listening Schiit?
I'll get off my soapbox now and listen to some soothing music.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #200 of 429
  Ragnarok is an integrated amp, so you just have to buy a Mani and plug it into one of the analog inputs on the Ragnarok, then use Ragnarok to switch between analog inputs. You're going to have to make some really sweet arguments to include tuners. I wouldn't imagine they'd ever want to put those in the same box as an amp or a DAC.

Who said anything about a DAC in the same box?  The Yggdrasil is the DAC.  So it would be YGGDRASIL (and any other components you wish)->PRE-AMP->Ragnarock.  Sure I could get another brands pre-amp or a simple phono-pre-amp but aesthetically I would prefer to have a matched set of components.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #201 of 429
I'm just saying I doubt they'd ever want to put a tuner inside of any of their components. Also, I understand the yggy -> pre -> rag, but it just doesn't make much sense to me to have a massive pre-amp for an integrated amp, aside from it being aesthetically pleasing.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #202 of 429
Amen to that! Why do manufacturers continue to put the power switch on the back? Makes no ergonomic sense.
How much more can it cost to put the power switch on the front face?
One of my pet peeves about some audio gear. Are you listening Schiit?
I'll get off my soapbox now and listen to some soothing music.

A Schiit stackable power conditioner//surge strip that could fit nicely under a Bifrost would find it's way to my desk at a reasonable price I think

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #203 of 429

I must confess, I somehow completely overlooked the Mani, i even went to the schiit site the other day specifically looking to see if they offered a phono pre-amp and somehow didn't see it.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #204 of 429
I must confess, I somehow completely overlooked the Mani, i even went to the schiit site the other day specifically looking to see if they offered a phono pre-amp and somehow didn't see it.

Its easy to do since its listed under "accessories" with a bunch of other random stuff. Not sure why they decided to do that...

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #205 of 429
Its easy to do since its listed under "accessories" with a bunch of other random stuff. Not sure why they decided to do that...
I think Mani went live some time this week, so it might not have been there.

Also, I think it's under "accessories" because it isn't a DAC, and it isn't really an amp, either. With the growning library of products, they might need to redeisgn the store page to organize everything, lol.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #206 of 429
Something I wish schiit had made:

A ~$99 external, modular headphone gaming processor (Lofn?) to give Dolby-Headphone style surround processing for headphones.

Then it could sit like:

"Lofn"
Modi
Magni

without and crappy computer drivers or software. Probably impossible but it seems like they could make it cheap and good since they wouldn't be including an AMP or DAC in the mix; doesn't seem to be a comparable product that I have seen.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #207 of 429
  Something I wish schiit had made:

A ~$99 external, modular headphone gaming processor (Lofn?) to give Dolby-Headphone style surround processing for headphones.

Then it could sit like:

"Lofn"
Modi
Magni

without and crappy computer drivers or software. Probably impossible but it seems like they could make it cheap and good since they wouldn't be including an AMP or DAC in the mix; doesn't seem to be a comparable product that I have seen.

Developing drivers or software that isn't "crappy" takes a lot of resources. If Xonar software for example is crappy for you, imagine just how much resources Asus can throw at it to improve it, and yet it still is crappy. Just another example of how difficult software development is: look at how many DAPs have much better hardware but have people tearing their hair out, and it's not just the iTunes-dependent who suddenly just realized they paid money for a product for which they have to fend for themselves when it comes to tagging and keeping the album art in the right size (without iTunes automatically tagging and reducing the resolution if you are syncing it to a device with a smaller screen).

It's not impossible, but do note that it may necessitate a sizeable investment that can drastically change Schiit's business model, so float the idea but keep in mind that it isn't going to be easy to execute (much less cheap), even if they "wouldn't be including an AMP or DAC in the mix."

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #208 of 429
Good points - I make software for a living so I can understand that!

The thing is that Schiit's (best selling?) Modi, Magni target demographic is tangential to another that they barely tap: Gamers !

gamer's are (the nature of demographics are stereotyped already so we can overlook that):
1.) headphone users
2.) value conscious 
3.) ala carte/modular/future upgrade friendly (marries to Schiit's core principles well)
4.) Potential "New Audiophile Recruits"

I'm speaking from my own personal bias in that my interest in driving my gaming sound lead me to Schiit in the first place -- Now I'm attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Expo thing this weekend. That's what I call "new business" conversion :)!

From researching alternatives to my own stack (listed in my sig) it's clear that there are others like me. If they can create a $99 Modi & Magni pretty sure they could make a non-crappy surround processor!!

/2 cents
/Love Schiit

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #209 of 429
  Good points - I make software for a living so I can understand that!

The thing is that Schiit's (best selling?) Modi, Magni target demographic is tangential to another that they barely tap: Gamers !

gamer's are (the nature of demographics are stereotyped already so we can overlook that):
1.) headphone users
2.) value conscious 
3.) ala carte/modular/future upgrade friendly (marries to Schiit's core principles well)
4.) Potential "New Audiophile Recruits"

I'm speaking from my own personal bias in that my interest in driving my gaming sound lead me to Schiit in the first place -- Now I'm attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Expo thing this weekend. That's what I call "new business" conversion :)!

From researching alternatives to my own stack (listed in my sig) it's clear that there are others like me. If they can create a $99 Modi & Magni pretty sure they could make a non-crappy surround processor!!

/2 cents
/Love Schiit

Gaming is what lead me to head-fi originally; and when I get the progression itch and I run whatever game I am playing well enough; the headphone rig gets the upgrade.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back