Schiit we'd like to see
Aug 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #166 of 429
  from what understand the wyrd schiit is only needed if you have noise on the usb not really going to improve SQ as per schiit themselves. also the schiit way of working is only pay for what you need as modular as it can be. therefore the schiit remains affordable and scaleable over period of time. i love this approach. feeding the upgraditis when one can afford it

But, but, but .....
1) power problems over USB are common
2) power problems over USB are frustrating
3) Modi is not exactly portable so USB power isn't necessary
3) USB Modi would work better with iPhones and Androids if it had a proper power supply.
Just sayin .....

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #167 of 429
yep you do have some good points too, however the usb on my pc are not too bad so for me the usb powered loki has been working very well from an SQ perspective so feel i don't need a power supply. however the schiit's modular approach gives you you flexibility so you can invest in better usb power supply than wyrd if you like too. so pros and cons on both sides. this world dose not have perfect solutions just a choice on which set of compromises you can live with
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #170 of 429
Bonus Post: Schiit Pipeline Update

Hey guys,

I am finally fully up and back to it, and I wanted to update you on where we are with new products.

We’re expecting to launch 6 new products before the end of this year (stop laughing.) You know about three of them:

• Mani. As usual, waiting for parts. We guess mid-September.
  • Ragnarok. Currently we have full runs of production boards, metal, etc and are finishing debugging one last little problem and finalizing a test fixture to process boards at a reasonable rate. Soon, I will open up a final beta program for 20 buyers at a discounted price, and with 100% refund if you don’t like it. There will be a form to fill out for inclusion in the beta; it won’t be first-come, first-served. After the 15-day beta, assuming all is well, we’ll open up ordering. Please don’t bother hounding me about this. It will happen soon, and it will happen when it happens.
  • Yggdrasil. Will be at RMAF, in what should be final form. For further questions, ask Mike (Baldr.)

You don’t know about the other three, but you’ll see if I make good on the promise. Again, stop laughing. I’m hoping to have at least one of the three at RMAF. Yeah, I know. We’ll see.

After that, buckle up for 2015. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

All the best,

Jason
Anyone want to speculate :wink:

As a recap, here is Schiit's product lineup to date:

Entry Level
Magni - SS Amp
Vali - Hybrid Tube Amp
Modi - DAC (USB or Optical)
Loki - DSD DAC (Adds DSD to any DAC)
Mani - Phono Preamp (Not Yet Released)

Midrange
Asgard 2 - SS Amp (Revised 2013)
Valhalla 2 - All Tube Amp (Revised 2014)
Lyr 2 - High-Power Hybrid Amp (Revised 2014)
Bifrost - Upgradeable DAC

High End/Balanced Tier
Mjolnir - Fully Balanced Amp (No Single Ended Outputs)
Gungnir - Fully Balanced DAC (But has Single Ended Outputs) (Also Upgradeable)

Highest End
Ragnarok - A Universal Amp with Tons of Power (Not Yet Released)
Yggdrasil - A Bitperfect DAC (Not Yet Released)

BONUS STAGE (Accessories)
SYS - Passive Preamp
Wyrd - USB "Decrapifier" to Provide Better USB Signals

I would still like to see a fully balanced tube or hybrid amp at Mjolnir's tier, but I'm mostly curious as to what they're looking to add. Will they be adding accessories? New amps? DAC upgrades? Or something completely different?

EDIT: Doh! Forgot about Loki...

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #175 of 429
Hey, Schiit: how about a thumb drive sized USB device that puts out a perfect SPDIF signal - assuming that such a device would be able to skirt all the problems that make USB audio such a PITA.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #176 of 429
Hey, Schiit: how about a thumb drive sized USB device that puts out a perfect SPDIF signal - assuming that such a device would be able to skirt all the problems that make USB audio such a PITA.
I'm no expert, but I doubt it. Modi optical uses a power source, and one of the present problems with USB DACs is drawing too much power (because not all USB ports are made to the needs of USB audio). I suspect that such a device wouldn't get enough power to provide a great optical signal.

Also, this is kind of what Wyrd is for.

On the other hand, not all PCs have optical outputs. Perhaps they could release a Wyrd 2 or "Wyrd" Optical to add an optical signal to such machines.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #178 of 429
What I would like to see is Schiits modular approach to be further extended. so in a box with the same width as the Bifrost but can be taller and longer  a very modular DAC that can spec'd with 2 x USB, 4 x Optical, 1 x XLR, 0 x Coaxial inputs and 2 x RCA outputs one for the speaker amp and one for the head amp. and 1 x XLR out with a built in DSD DAC with drivers that switch switch seamlessly between PCM and DSD without manual intervention around a 1000 bucks or less if possible 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #179 of 429
Would love to see a fully balanced tube amp  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back