Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #91 of 2,717
Quote:
This is a repost for the rolling thread.

I dug around today and found some tubes I forgot I had. There 1972 6n1p-BN. There the finest made tubes I've ever seen. There sounds is so pin point precise, that it's down right scary with the lights off. Very deep punchy bass, and more sub like bass then I've heard from any other tubes. But the treble comes thru as clear as the bass, so there hard on the ears with anything thats not perfectly mastered! So I have a handful of albums that have never sounded sooo perfect, and a truck load of albums that I can not enjoy(unless the volume is very low). The tubes look just like this one in the pic. Notice the fine detail in the insulating spacers, not something you see everyday.

I'm holding true to my findings on that the 6n23p is best for everyday use, with any type of music. The 6n23p does nothing Excellent, and most everything Good~very good.

Listening to the 6n1p-bn as I type this. Talk about lip smacking detail! It's like being there!

The tube in the picture is 6N1P-VE which does not exist outside eBay. The numbers are printed on the tubes using some kind of printer. diyaudio forums mentioned that this could be fake chinese tube made look like vintage soviet. The only 6n1p variants produced in USSR are regular 6n1p and military 6n1p-EV (not VE) version with the getter on top attached on both sides of the internal shield, plus additional mica spacer. The best sounding 6n1p have cccp pentagon sign on them and have carbon plated internal shield (in addition to cathodes). EV versions I've seen have non-carbonized internal shield and they sound somewhat brighter. The screening on original tubes is light bronze color. "OTK" stamps are stamped by hand (it's a QC stamp) after testing the tube and it is usually a rhombus with OTK inside plus the number identifying the person doing the testing. Genuine OTK stamps are usually dark blue lacker (not etching, not white) and are found everywhere on the tube. If you see OTK stamp that looks perfect and appears consistently in the same place - fake - tubes come from surplus storage with no testing done on them.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #92 of 2,717
Quote:
another Q, I have 'Reflector' and 'Novo' 6N6Ps, did any other 'cities' do 6N6Ps? Voskhod especially, Orzep, Anode, Foton etc? What do people currently recommend as the best 6N6P that is easily available especially older examples. I would also be interested in any other variants like Vi, EV etc if they exist. I can only find 6N6P and 6N6P-i.

Look for Foton factory 6n6p. They could be identified by darker glass envelope (they look "burned"), square getter attached on both sides, and carbon plated internal shield. In my experience those sound the best.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #93 of 2,717
Quote:
The tube in the picture is 6N1P-VE which does not exist outside eBay. The numbers are printed on the tubes using some kind of printer. diyaudio forums mentioned that this could be fake chinese tube made look like vintage soviet. The only 6n1p variants produced in USSR are regular 6n1p and military 6n1p-EV (not VE) version with the getter on top attached on both sides of the internal shield, plus additional mica spacer. The best sounding 6n1p have cccp pentagon sign on them and have carbon plated internal shield (in addition to cathodes). EV versions I've seen have non-carbonized internal shield and they sound somewhat brighter. The screening on original tubes is light bronze color. "OTK" stamps are stamped by hand (it's a QC stamp) after testing the tube and it is usually a rhombus with OTK inside plus the number identifying the person doing the testing. Genuine OTK stamps are usually dark blue lacker (not etching, not white) and are found everywhere on the tube. If you see OTK stamp that looks perfect and appears consistently in the same place - fake - tubes come from surplus storage with no testing done on them.

It's a 6n1p-VI and it is a real tube, not a copy from China.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #94 of 2,717
I’ve just purchased a Schiit Valhalla to go with my Cardas modified HD650’s. The amp arrived on Friday and with only a few hours break-in the sound was excellent! I’m amazed at how fast this amp is and its ability to resolve sharp transients with such clarity. This was really brought home when listening to Maurizo Pollini’s 1976 DG recording of the Chopin Polonaises, Op.26 No.1 in particular. No graininess or evidence of clipping as I've heard from the usual op-amp driven headphone output.

I’ve read this thread with interest and decided to source some of the Russian tube recommendations made by Mr. Tom and others. I found a set of matched 6N1P’s made in Novosibirsk for the soviet military in 1964. This was the only set of 1960’s 6N1P’s I could find on eBay and they were a good bit more expensive than the more recent vintages. I also got lucky with the output 6N6P’s and found two matched sets of Souz ([size=x-small]Novosibirsk) made OTK’s from 1970 and even better, two matched pairs of FOTON OTK from 1966. It’ll take a few weeks for these babies to get here, giving me more time to familiarize myself with the stock tubes.[/size]

Transient attack and detail are excellent with the stock tubes, as is the overall clarity. The one thing I’m hoping these tubes will do is add a touch more weight to the mid bass as these seem just a tad on the lean side and perhaps warm the midrange just a little. Make it more like that "smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress" kind of thing. That may not be possible with this design or tube selection though. The detail is already excellent so I can’t imagine the improvement the 1964 6N1P’s will bring.

I’ll offer a follow-up once the tubes arrive and I’ve had sufficient time with them. If anyone has any other tube suggestions for adding weight and a little more warmth please let us know!

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #95 of 2,717
Quick question. I bought a used Valhalla. It came with an unused set of 6N1P (I think intended for the Lyr) in addition to the 4 Tube Valhalla set. Would there be any reason to keep the extra set of 6N1P? If I needed to replace a tube, wouldn't I want to purchase the 4 Tube Valhalla Set? 
Thanks for patience w/ the newb question. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #96 of 2,717
Keep the extra 6N1P tubes.  Tubes will wear out.  When your current set wears out, you have the driver tubes and only need to buy the power tubes on eBay.  Plus, sometimes tubes catastrophically fail without warning.  Backups are nice.

Quote:
Quick question. I bought a used Valhalla. It came with an unused set of 6N1P (I think intended for the Lyr) in addition to the 4 Tube Valhalla set. Would there be any reason to keep the extra set of 6N1P? If I needed to replace a tube, wouldn't I want to purchase the 4 Tube Valhalla Set? 
Thanks for patience w/ the newb question. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #97 of 2,717
Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and cannot post images, therefore will be using links. I've found a couple of tube sets on eBay: 6N1P-VI and 6N1P-EV, not sure if this are real or fake. There are OTK logos on both. Can anyone confirm these logos are real? Links are listed below.

6N1P-VI: http://picase.net/pic/113407
6N1P-EV: http://picase.net/pic/113406

Thanks, Alex.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #101 of 2,717
  The first ones are made by Nevz at Novosibirsk and the second link by Voskhod at Kaluga ('Rockets'). The latter are generally the better maker / quality level.

Clearly you don't listen very carefully, as I've found the Novosibirsk tubes always sound better.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #102 of 2,717
I spend ages listening to these in several amp types over 20 years now on these tubes. In fact I have just short or 200 examples of these I have used. [I can provide a picture of them if you would like]. We are talking about both makes here and designations (Vi / Ev etc) before we even start on different year of production. 90s Nevz is a different animal to 70s one, just look at the 6N23, where most prefer 70s Voskhod over EVs. If you disagree thats fine I am fine with that but to say I don't listen carefully ....:frowning2:

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #103 of 2,717
Are you Pink?? You sound like him!

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #105 of 2,717
Got my tubes from Mr.Tom the other day (thank you!  I'll post pictures for others to enjoy tonight)  Can't wait to hear them... just have to buy a Valhalla first!  I'm waiting to find one on eBay or on the used equipment forum, surprised I haven't seen any in awhile...

I've been using a Millett Starving Student in the meantime.  I really like the tube sound, but things are a bit compressed on my trusty but cheap tube amp.

One question:  Someone mentioned earlier that tubes need a load on them at all times.  Does that mean music has to be playing or just the headphones plugged in to provide resistance?  Sorry for the noob question, inexperienced with tubes and never heard that before...  I normally just turn on my Starving Student for about 20 minutes before plugging in my headphone and listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back