Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #122 of 2,717
I'm a little ot, but i eould like to know if anyone has replaced the stock power calble with something better.
Lot of people say that with a really good cable you can obtain more clean sound and bigger soundstage with smooth bass, but i don't know no one that tryed this on the schiit valhalla.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #123 of 2,717
OK I just pulled the trigger on a new Valhalla, I have used alot of tube gear in the past and tried the tube rolling thing. I waas never really able to discern much difference (I could tell big differences between different amps I.E....45 set, 2a3 set, 300B, KT88, EL34 etc...)  but not so much difference between different brands of the same tube.

My question is do you all find substantial differences, or merely nuance differences when tube rolling the Valhalla ?

Joe :)

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #124 of 2,717
OK I just pulled the trigger on a new Valhalla, I have used alot of tube gear in the past and tried the tube rolling thing. I waas never really able to discern much difference (I could tell big differences between different amps I.E....45 set, 2a3 set, 300B, KT88, EL34 etc...)  but not so much difference between different brands of the same tube.

My question is do you all find substantial differences, or merely nuance differences when tube rolling the Valhalla ?

Joe :)

Pretty significant differences, not always for the better. HATED the NOS Sylvania 6922s that I really like in my Sonic Frontiers (speaker amp), shrill and brittle. JJs are fine, but I'm back to stock Russian tubes.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #125 of 2,717
Thanks for the response,  I'm anxiously awaiting delivery and expecting the weather to delay delivery
angry_face.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #127 of 2,717
The burning-in of the Telefunken is still going but not yet ended, i think i can hear a bigger soundstage and that the instruments are better separated. The bass sound without any imperfection and high are clear and... really high...
But everything i heard is a little bit better than the stock tubes, but there are not such great differences... or i am not able to hear such big differences, they are a bit improvement.
I don't know if my headphones (Alessandro Music Series Two) or my DAC (Schiit Bifrost USB without Uber card) can't hear better differences, or i have to end all the burn in (i think i have 40 - 50 hours of use), or probably i don't have the right files to listen liquid music (my music is bought from itunes, and listen from my iMac 27" late 2010 with a standard USB cable)
I've payed 300,00€ for the Telefunken and i have thank that probably Pink Floyd will play in my room in front of me...but it isn't so...
In the future i will like to add the Uber card at the Bifrost and a bigger and better power cable to the Valhalla (probably that:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ttse.html) and only after that i will be ready to try other tubes (i'm watching the E88CC Mullard CV2493).
Will tell you my last impressions when burn in will finish.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #129 of 2,717
Just bumping this thread

Any one have any new experiences with Valhalla tube rolling?

Undergoing "listener burn-in" with some 1960s 6n1p I just got from MrTom. Will comment later.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #130 of 2,717
I just wanted to post what I have found regarding tube rolling with the Valhalla. My equipment consists of Beyerdynamic T90 Headphones, Nordost USB, Nordost Heimdall interconnect cables and PS Audio power cables. I forgot to mention my DAC which is a Gungnir. I purchased Amprex 7308 from Upscale Audio Platinum grade, and JJ Electronic 6922 regular pins not gold to replace the stock tubes. I found that personally I like the JJ tubes the best with my setup. They have a exceptional sound stage and sound warm but detailed presentation. They are very balanced overall for the T90's. The Amprex 7308 sound a little bright but just a tad. The bass is not as full as the JJ's either. The focus on the Amprex is better plus the mid band is better as well. The stock Valhalla tubes were not my cup of tea. The amp actually sounded about as good as the Asgard2 which I have as well. After replacing the tubes it is much better than the Asgard2 and not even close anymore. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #132 of 2,717
Took me a while to get it, but it's simple. The 1960s 6N1P are a more transparent tube. Good recordings display texture & timbre, clarity without harshness, and realistic dynamics & flow. Smooth as can be. Great with the Stax rig. Marginal recordings go further in that direction and can become edgy, especially with up-front cans like Grado. So this tube isn't an all-rounder, but is worth owning for sure.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #133 of 2,717
Duh...not paying attention to my own posting. The 1960s 6N1P have nothing to do with the Stax rig of course; my comments relate strictly to Valhalla--bigger gaps between good and marginal recordings and between Grado & Beyerdynamic or Senn.

Shouldn't be listening to Stax when posting; concentration is lost.:confused_face_2:

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #135 of 2,717
I got a set of Mr. Tom's tubes and I've had the opportunity to spend a week with them (w/ HD 650).  I've just been enjoying the music and not listening too critically, but today I swapped in the stock tubes to see what I would notice.  I don't know if it's the skeptic in me but I feel like I have to temper my impressions with "it may just be my perception."  That being said, it may just be my perception but the stock tubes somehow sounded hollower, more distorted, and more sibilant.  With Mr. Tom's tubes the highs are rolled off (in a good way) without any loss in detail.  The mids are rounder, and the bass is cleaner and better extended.  I've never really been one to use those 25 cent words to describe sound, but when you hear it that's the only way you can put it.  I'm not going to say the differences are night and day, or that the stock tubes are useless, or even that my brain is not playing tricks on me, but I did notice a difference and I am very satisfied. So I will call it settled, change out the stock tubes one last time and get back to the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back