Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,066 of 2,717
Follow-up: Well, the Mullard CV-4003s have not left my VH2 since their installation. The mids are lush and they impart a a great sense of detail and layers. This is not to say that they are lacking on bottom-end, high-end, or soundstage, but given mids are where most of the music is at, this is what really sets them apart. They do impart a welcomed bit of warmth and tubeyness to the rather neutral, almost SS-like sound of VH2. A must if your thing is classical, acoustic instruments, and vocals.

Next up -- who knows. Oh. there will be a next up -- just haven't sorted through what that may be. :wink:

Good information. Those Mullards are a bit out of my budget, but if I should find a pair used--I will want to give them a try.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #1,067 of 2,717
Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops, "Tchaikovsky_1812 Overture" plays very well with Soviet-era 6H8C ribbed-plate Fotons (X-51, October, 1951) on the Valhalla 2 HP amp into Sennheiser 6XX HP with a custom Cablesforless.Com braided set of replacement cables.

Russian tubes playing Russian Classical on a Sunday Morning, a fresh cup of hot coffee, and let's just close our eyes, and be engaged by Music, unlike any other time we can recall...

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,068 of 2,717
The Mullards are receiving a much deserved break as I try out a pair of Tungsram 12AU7A tubes in Valhalla 2. It's early in the process, but they do show promise. Although not at the Mullard CV4003 or CIFTE level sound-wise, they are also not in the Mullard CV4003/CIFTYE 12AU7WAH price strata either. Initial listening revealed a more congested and and closed-in midrange than the CIFTE and Mullard, but the Mullard CV4003's mids are renown and absolutely glorious, so its really not fair to compare. The Tungsrams' mids are not terrible, just a bit claustrophobic.

Well, today is a bit of a different story. After approx. 16 hours of listening to music, the mids have opened up quite a bit and it is now imparting a rather relaxed and balanced sound. More time will tell the full story, but while it is not CIFTE or Mullard-like, it is certainly nice enough to say its a keeper -- especially at the price.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,069 of 2,717
The Mullards are receiving a much deserved break as I try out a pair of Tungsram 12AU7A tubes in Valhalla 2. --snip--
Well, today is a bit of a different story. After approx. 16 hours of listening to music, the mids have opened up quite a bit and it is now imparting a rather relaxed and balanced sound. More time will tell the full story, but while it is not CIFTE or Mullard-like, it is certainly nice enough to say its a keeper -- especially at the price.

Would these be similar to what you are listening to?

www.vivatubes.com/true-nos-gain-gm-matched-pair-2-tungsram-hungary-12au7-ecc82-vacuum-tubes

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,070 of 2,717
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,071 of 2,717
I don't think so. That's a GE -- maybe an incorrect picture?. Here's what I'm talking about...

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/tungsram-ecc82-12au7

My price was not that high, however, but use that image and box as a guide. And you will need an adapter -- not native to VH2.

Here's a pair on eBay. No measurements and don't know anything about the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vintag...830124?hash=item1eea97b6ac:g:hBoAAOSwCaBbn6bl

This what Vivatubes said:

Get yours now before they're all gone. It's nearly impossible to find such a stash of NOS European tubes these days! These are beautiful Tungsram of Hungary 12AU7 tubes. You don’t see these everyday – most people are familiar with Amperex and Mullard but these Tungsram tubes are outstanding. Beautiful warmth and clarity, one of the most under-rated tubes on the planet – and that may just be because they’re rare. Short Gray Plates with Dual Getter supports. These tubes were labeled for GE and are marked made in Holland, but they aren't Amperex tubes. The small foil square welded to the plates or getter post is a giveaway that they were made by Tungsram. These came from a bulk-pack and are absolutely NOS. They test quite high! We tested and/or matched them on a Maxi-Matcher Preamp tester for both Gain and Gm. Even though they didn’t come to us with boxes, we gave them white boxes with the test data written on top.

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,072 of 2,717
What are you guys listening to with these tubes?

I almost exclusively using my HD6XX now. Such a solid pairing.

Me too. 650s, one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I went the Massdrop route. Apparently, @jude considers the Massdrop HD6xx almost identical to a stock Sennheisser HD650. I'd agree. The 650s are a dandy pair of cans. My only issue with them is that the tunes bleed out out irritate my spouse. Ah well. One note: after about a year of indoor use, my jack started to short out due to cable-flexing. Massdrop promptly gave me a credit to purchase a replacement cable. I picked up a 100% original Senheisser part. And now use a 90 degree adapter to prevent any tension on the jack. Meh.

@lesanderson ... I agree with you. It's a fantastic purchase. Unfortunately, I gather InnerFidelity (2017 post) found the next generation of Sennheiser cans not as good as the HD6xx series. Pity.
@Erikson2k ... you're rocking a Valhalla2, right? It might be an unfair comparison, have you compared it to a modded-out (socket-saver + adapter + 6SN7 tube [Slovakian, current production, JJ Electronics Ltd.]) Vali2? Strictly curious... :smile_phones:

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #1,073 of 2,717
This what Vivatubes said:

Get yours now before they're all gone. It's nearly impossible to find such a stash of NOS European tubes these days! These are beautiful Tungsram of Hungary 12AU7 tubes. You don’t see these everyday – most people are familiar with Amperex and Mullard but these Tungsram tubes are outstanding. Beautiful warmth and clarity, one of the most under-rated tubes on the planet – and that may just be because they’re rare. Short Gray Plates with Dual Getter supports. These tubes were labeled for GE and are marked made in Holland, but they aren't Amperex tubes. The small foil square welded to the plates or getter post is a giveaway that they were made by Tungsram. These came from a bulk-pack and are absolutely NOS. They test quite high! We tested and/or matched them on a Maxi-Matcher Preamp tester for both Gain and Gm. Even though they didn’t come to us with boxes, we gave them white boxes with the test data written on top.

Well there you have it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,074 of 2,717
@Erikson2k ... you're rocking a Valhalla2, right? It might be an unfair comparison, have you compared it to a modded-out (socket-saver + adapter + 6SN7 tube [Slovakian, current production, JJ Electronics Ltd.]) Vali2? Strictly curious... :smile_phones:

Yup, Vallhalla 2 with Bimby, have not tried the 6SN7.

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,075 of 2,717
6sn7stack.JPG
Yup, Valhalla 2 with Bimby, have not tried the 6SN7.

You will need two socket-savers for each 6SN7 adapters to work on the Valhalla 2, and a pair of 6SN7GT tubes will dwarf the 6N6P power tubes behind them. I also found that two-socket savers will get the power tubes up and out of the chassis, and will result in cooler operation, as no heat is being trapped within. Elevation of the actual sockets to a height closer to the surface would have been nice, but socket-savers are directly wired, so no worries about using two.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,076 of 2,717
Good morning everyone, I've been lurking the thread for months researching which tubes to go with. I've been a VH2 owner for about a month. I replaced the front tubes with some gold lions for the time being. Big on pc gaming, with that said I am big on atmospheric music in mmos. What power tubes and front tubes would ya'll recommend? I bought two adapters that was linked on prev. posts and 4 risers. The mmos are wow,swtor and eso. Thank you guys for all the information and time.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,077 of 2,717
Do you have a link to those tubes and adapters by chance?

You will need two socket-savers for each 6SN7 adapters to work on the Valhalla 2, and a pair of 6SN7GT tubes will dwarf the 6N6P power tubes behind them. I also found that two-socket savers will get the power tubes up and out of the chassis, and will result in cooler operation, as no heat is being trapped within. Elevation of the actual sockets to a height closer to the surface would have been nice, but socket-savers are directly wired, so no worries about using two.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #1,078 of 2,717
Good morning everyone, I've been lurking the thread for months researching which tubes to go with. I've been a VH2 owner for about a month. I replaced the front tubes with some gold lions for the time being. Big on pc gaming, with that said I am big on atmospheric music in mmos. What power tubes and front tubes would ya'll recommend? I bought two adapters that was linked on prev. posts and 4 risers. The mmos are wow,swtor and eso

Power tubes are power tubes, in the Valhalla 2, they are 6N6P and those are stock Russian tubes which really do no effect or affect the music quite as much as the front driver tubes. No need to roll these.
Since I am over 60 years old, I have no earthly idea what you are saying with this, " The mmos are wow,swtor and eso" --but if you purchased adapters that go from 6SN7 to 6922 I would recommend some used, US-made valves from the 1950s like Tung-Sol and Sylvania.
If you are wanting to not have to use an adapter, then the 6CG7 (RCA Clear-tops) are highly regarded as are European 6922-type tubes from Mullard, and Amperex.
When I purchased my Valhalla 2, the best advice given to me was to use the stock tubes provided by Schiit until you get a feel for what the "stock" sound is, then roll the driver tubes. If you hear a difference, which sounds better to you--then keep those tubes in place, and enjoy.

No need to buy matched pairs-- I have found that two Tung-Sol tubes sound great together, my only caution would be to keep within a type (6SN7 or 6922) I have not tried a 6922 in the left and a 6SN7 in the right-- or vice-versa.
Based on my experience, I have twice bought three 6SN7 for $10 off eBay which were sold as "used, test good" and they worked great.
At the early going, don't get suckered into "Platinum-matched NOS" because that only means you paid too much...and you may not hear any difference at all.
Your Mileage May Vary and trust YOUR ears, not what somebody has written about a "legendary Tube" that you Must Have!

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,079 of 2,717
Do you have a link to those tubes and adapters by chance?

go to eBay and search "Good used 6SN7GT tubes" and "6SN7 to 6922 adapters" Russian tubes from Russia will take several weeks to arrive, so maybe start with domestic vendors, and the adapters can be purchased from TubeDepot.Com. Vivatubes.com is a good vendor of the tested, and quality used tubes.
I have only really felt like I got skunked on a pair of Ken-Rad tubes with rusty metal bases, for $15 which were microphonic--they rang like Tubular Bells when you tapped them with a pencil.
That is why I will not recommend eBay vendors by name. There will be several folks who trade tubes, who might offer you some good deals--it is just the good side of this hobby.
You will see the folks talking tubes, and they will answer your "newcomer" questions, so don't be afraid to ask. Welcome, I love my Valhalla 2.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,080 of 2,717
Welcome @Krusnik ! I totally agree with @Robert Padgett... trust your ears before going into a rabbit hole... :)

Some of the changes are quite subtle... so we gotta balance out if we NEED to spend our $$$ vs. will I really hear the difference?

I love my Valhalla 2 and I am currently using it with my Grado GS1000i, but also as a preamp to a 2-channel speaker setup.

Right now, I got some NOS JAN Philips 6922 going... I enjoy the sound of them... and yeah, it does feel a bit "warmer" than the stock tubes and they are not crazy expensive either.. BUT at least my tubes are quite microphonic...

(But as there is not vibration going on my desk, I do not think it messes up the sound... Yeah, if I poke them, I will hear on the speakers/headphones... but nothing while simply listening to regular music... :)

I got my socket savers from tubemonger... as I read a few reviews about their quality, though I am sure e-bay ones might be just as good... I highly recommend them as it raises the tubes from the chassis, so, yeah, they look cool AND COOLER, hehe (temperature wise and aesthetically... :)

Visually, I am not sure if I would use "gigantic looking" tubes with the Valhalla 2... but that's only my humble opinion... :) so I would stick to 6922's... and the "regular" 6N6P power tubes...

cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back