Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,051 of 2,716
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,052 of 2,716
Figures, I don't have "that" one. Just ordered 4, Thanks

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,053 of 2,716
Well, the CIFTEs are quite nice. Very nice, open soundstage with nice bottom-end and open airy highs. Mids are very nice. And they are super quiet and refined. They are my favorite so far in VH2 -- making the very good sounding Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s sound a bit grainy on the top end.

Not knowing how to leave well enough alone, I now have a pair of Mullard CV-4003's set to arrive tomorrow. They are supposed to be a bit tubier and warmer with mids being their claim to fame. One owner stated that with the right piece of music the heavens will open up!! It'll be interesting to see if they do in-fact deliver a near religious experience with VH2!! I'll post with an update soon.

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,054 of 2,716
Hey! Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Anyone around running JAN Philips 6922's? Just got them in the mail... It's my first "NOS" that's kind of microphonic... :frowning2:
I like it, it doesn't bother me... (yeah, I don't plan of vibrating/knocking the top of Valhalla 2... so I guess I'll be Ok... :)

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #1,055 of 2,716
Well, the CIFTEs are quite nice. --snip--
Not knowing how to leave well enough alone, I now have a pair of Mullard CV-4003's set to arrive tomorrow. They are supposed to be a bit tubier and warmer with mids being their claim to fame. One owner stated that with the right piece of music the heavens will open up!! It'll be interesting to see if they do in-fact deliver a near religious experience with VH2!! I'll post with an update soon.

I see that was several days, I was wondering how they sounded? This assuming you are still in this dimension...

I seem to be having repeated near-Religious experiences - by listening to lots of familiar recordings, for the first time.

With the Valhalla 2 and these 1950s Tung-Sol 6SN7GT tubes, I am hearing layers of detail in 16/44 FLAC files that despite having listened to them hundreds of times, I am hearing them for the first time.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,056 of 2,716
Follow-up: Well, the Mullard CV-4003s have not left my VH2 since their installation. The mids are lush and they impart a a great sense of detail and layers. This is not to say that they are lacking on bottom-end, high-end, or soundstage, but given mids are where most of the music is at, this is what really sets them apart. They do impart a welcomed bit of warmth and tubeyness to the rather neutral, almost SS-like sound of VH2. A must if your thing is classical, acoustic instruments, and vocals.

Next up -- who knows. Oh. there will be a next up -- just haven't sorted through what that may be. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,057 of 2,716
I see that was several days, I was wondering how they sounded? This assuming you are still in this dimension...

I seem to be having repeated near-Religious experiences - by listening to lots of familiar recordings, for the first time.

With the Valhalla 2 and these 1950s Tung-Sol 6SN7GT tubes, I am hearing layers of detail in 16/44 FLAC files that despite having listened to them hundreds of times, I am hearing them for the first time.

Are 6SN7GTs driver tubes or power tubes? Thanks

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,060 of 2,716
What kind of adapters are they need?
The tubes are nine pins. The 6SN7 required an adapter a number of choices listed here earlier. You need 6SN7 to 6922. And you will need two socket savers for each to get the adapter to fit. I put socket savers on the 6N6 power tubes to get them up and out of the interior, as a result, everything runs much cooler and the case is barely warm.

Update: I received another pair of 9-pin socket-savers and used them under the power tubes. Now all four tubes are above the surface of the Valhalla 2 and are air-cooled in the room. The metal top of the VH2 is slightly warm, but nowhere near the heat generated with the tubes down in the interior of the chassis. I also used 11mm rubber o-ring between all connections, which may help with vibration, and covers the exposed pins.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,061 of 2,716
I am going out on a limb here, but I have been playing around with mismatched pairs of the single 6SN7 tubes I had for the Vali 2, in the Valhalla 2. I have not mixed types (6922 and 6sn7) but have not found much, if any, of a difference between the right and left channels in Headphones.

I understand "matched pairs" are preferred, but maybe my ears aren't discerning enough to know the difference. I hope I am not doing anything "wrong" but a weird mix of a Sovtek 6H8C and a new production JJ 6SN7GT sounded pretty good.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #1,062 of 2,716
Haven't posted in a while, haven't been listening as much as I would like but getting some good time in tonight. I really LOVE the Golden Lion 6922, out of all the tubes I have played with I feel like it is the best compromise between sound, price, availability and reliability. It is flat out an amazing tube.

However, I come back to these radical RCA 6c8g, they have much lower gain, but the mid-range is undeniably to die for. I do think they lose some dynamics, but Springstein right now sounds so good that I prompted me to write this.

Certainly a fun tube to have around!
20190412_222723.jpg

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,065 of 2,716
I am very pleased with the performance of the Massdrop/Sennheiser 6XX when paired with some Oct. 1951 FOTON ribbed plate 6H8C valves. From Jazz to EDM, from Classical to Female Vocals, I could be no happier than with the VH2/6XX combo.
My speakers system of 1975 Advent Large Loudspeakers and the PSAudio Sprout100 sounds best when the VH2 is the tube buffer, at Max volume and High Gain, and the volume is adjusted with the Sprout100 remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back