Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,081 of 2,717
Welcome @Krusnik ! I totally agree with @Robert Padgett... trust your ears before going into a rabbit hole... :)

Some of the changes are quite subtle... so we gotta balance out if we NEED to spend our $$$ vs. will I really hear the difference?

-snip-
Right now, I got some NOS JAN Philips 6922 going... I enjoy the sound of them... and yeah, it does feel a bit "warmer" than the stock tubes and they are not crazy expensive either.. BUT at least my tubes are quite microphonic...

-snip-

Visually, I am not sure if I would use "gigantic looking" tubes with the Valhalla 2... but that's only my humble opinion... :) so I would stick to 6922's... and the "regular" 6N6P power tubes...

cheers!

I have to admit, those 6SN7 tubes tower over the 6N6P tubes and look like the whole thing will tip-over. I just like the sound of the larger plates and larger glass envelope.

But, after reading this, I pulled out the 6N1P stock tubes, and have been really enjoying that sound for a change. I was in such a hurry to get my 1951 Foton 6H8C tubes into use, that I passed over the stock tubes. My mistake. These are Voskhod 6N1P which sell for about $25 a pair, and I think they are quite good.

I have promised to buy a pair of Holland-made 6922 from a Head-Fier and I am looking at a pair of clear top 6CG7 by RCA, which are still pretty reasonable.

One thing is for certain, getting the tubes up and in the room air circulation has the VH2 running as cool as my Sprout100 (which they say that normal is warm to the touch).

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #1,082 of 2,717
Thank you guys for preventing me from jumping into the rabbit hole. I did that with the reddit keyboard artisan keycap community and it wasn't pretty lol. I'm running the stack with the hifiman4xx. I just want like the warmth and 3d layers on the orchestrated music to hear every detail whereas my astro a50 just doesnt feel the same with my open end headphones.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,084 of 2,717
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,086 of 2,717
On my magazine page, I published this. Rather than flooding the thread with my prose, you can read it, if you desire, ignore it, either way, I just have come to a new realization...

www.facebook.com/notes/affordable-audiophile/keep-it-stock-stupid/2263963527256938/

Perfect indeed! :)

My apologies to all of you who won't be bothered by the difference in SIZES of the tubes... hehe :) :) :) I didn't mean to bash at all... :frowning2: It is just my humble opinion and I do care as much as for the looks as for the sound, hehe.

So, yeah, IF I find another tube that might fit both the sound AND aesthetics... I'd give it a try, especially if the piggy bank will survive the fall... BUT yeah, I do prefer to keep it simple as well and I will not start chasing crazy expensive NOS... especially that I am quite sure neither my equipment nor my EARS will resolve the subtle difference: new production and affordable tubes I think can be just as rewarding as long as they bring a smile to my face... and they do! :)

Happy long weekend! :) And Happy Easter to those who celebrate Easter! :)

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,087 of 2,717
Perfect indeed! :)

My apologies to all of you who won't be bothered by the difference in SIZES of the tubes... hehe :) :) :) I didn't mean to bash at all... :frowning2: It is just my humble opinion and I do care as much as for the looks as for the sound, hehe.

So, yeah, IF I find another tube that might fit both the sound AND aesthetics... I'd give it a try, especially if the piggy bank will survive the fall... BUT yeah, I do prefer to keep it simple as well and I will not start chasing crazy expensive NOS... especially that I am quite sure neither my equipment nor my EARS will resolve the subtle difference: new production and affordable tubes I think can be just as rewarding as long as they bring a smile to my face... and they do! :)

Happy long weekend! :) And Happy Easter to those who celebrate Easter! :)

I didn't feel bashed... I am having too much fun listening to these "new" tubes, with my 6XX HPs and Pink Floyd, "Atom Heart Mother". Imagine for a moment the Joy when you find a true Diamond tube 'in the rough'. For little money with a HUGE sound..

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,088 of 2,717
russ-glo.png Stock Schiit tubes from the Valhalla 2, note that two socket savers get the hot running Russians from building up heat within the chassis of the amplifier. While I can feel heat rising, when I hold my hand over the tops, the metal surrounding the tubes is only slightly warm, certainly not 'Hot' to the touch.
I feel that entrapped heat will in the long-run do damage to the circuits, and any electronics which generate heat, are best served by running cool as possible.
www.facebook.com/notes/affordable-audiophile/keep-it-stock-stupid/2263963527256938/

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,089 of 2,717
Stock Schiit tubes from the Valhalla 2, note that two socket savers get the hot running Russians from building up heat within the chassis of the amplifier. While I can feel heat rising, when I hold my hand over the tops, the metal surrounding the tubes is only slightly warm, certainly not 'Hot' to the touch.
I feel that entrapped heat will in the long-run do damage to the circuits, and any electronics which generate heat, are best served by running cool as possible.
Re: image. You're using a time-lapse feature on your camera phone, right? My Slovakian-made JJ 6SN7 sounds fantastic; however, it's got a piddly glow. Tsk...:ksc75smile:

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,090 of 2,717
Re: image. You're using a time-lapse feature on your camera phone, right? My Slovakian-made JJ 6SN7 sounds fantastic; however, it's got a piddly glow. Tsk...:ksc75smile:
You are partially correct. It is a Sony NEX-6 with a vintage Hexanon 28mm f/3.5 prime lens, on a tripod. I use the remote commander to fire the shutter, and the exposure time is several seconds to get the bright amber glow.This is my JJ-Electronic 6SN7 with a little time exposure.
glowing2.JPG

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,091 of 2,717
@Robert Padgett, nice shots... It's quite cool and interesting to see lots of photographers who are also audiophiles... I love music and photography too!

Vintage lenses are awesome and they add a cool character as well...probably similar to tube amps... :) I am currently shooting with a sony A7riii, but have been using lots of old lenses, especially nikkor & pentax. I love it!

Just recently got hold of a russian krasnogorsk 16mm lens from the 80's, completely NOS! Out of probably some storage place... it ain't "sharp", hehe, but its fun to play with...

cheers!

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,093 of 2,717
www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver $2.49 plus $3.50 shipping they will arrive in three days.
You might as well go ahead and buy Nine-- one for the Vali 2 and eight for the Valhalla.
I bought mine piecemeal, paid almost as much in shipping as socket-savers-- if someone had told me this, both time and money would have been saved.
If you buy from Hong Kong--they are the same except it will be up to 21-days in transit.
@Krusnik to get them out of the chassis, two stacked gets the job done...now you see why I bought so many :L3000::astonished::fearful::nerd::grimacing:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,094 of 2,717
Which risers are you using?
Mine’s are from tubemonger. The quality is pretty good. I didn’t wanna risk buying a cheapo and potentially questionable quality ones from ebay BUT i’m sure it could be also an awesome solution as well...

I’m using one per socket... didn’t feel like needing to double stack them... I’m quite happy with the way they look... and mostly happy that the chassis ain’t crazy hot either...

cheers

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,095 of 2,717
@Robert Padgett, nice shots... It's quite cool and interesting to see lots of photographers who are also audiophiles... I love music and photography too!

Vintage lenses are awesome and they add a cool character as well...probably similar to tube amps... :) I am currently shooting with a sony A7riii, but have been using lots of old lenses, especially Nikkor & Pentax. I love it!

Just recently got hold of a Russian Krasnoyarsk 16mm lens from the '80s, completely NOS! Out of probably some storage place... it ain't "sharp", hehe, but its fun to play with...

cheers!
I came across a stash of vintage Hexanon primes for real cheap. Found them sharp, contrasty, and very little use. The lenses were great, the Konica Auto-Reflex SLR looked clunky, sounded clunky and looks like it was designed by Russian, not Japanese---needless to say, the cameras never showed the quality of the glass--but with mirrorless and adapters, they finally get their one shining Moment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back