Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #781 of 2,717
Anytime you add electro mechanical connections to a circuit your adding the possibility of getting unwanted attributes....sometimes just the opposite...it depends on the circuit design, stability, RF, location to other devices....and more.

By adding a socket saver your lengthening the leads, adding miniature antennas and another set of mechanical contacts.

You add capacitance and resistance and these might cause issues....

That said, I dont think in this case its a real issue...more so than ones curiousity and the search to a better "sound" than the designers original intent.

I find the Vahalla2 with the "el crapo" Russian NOS tubes it ships with sound just fine...

No real need for socket savers other than to spend some bucks.....IMO.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #782 of 2,717
ColtMrFire - I have been reading through this thread and the Lyr thread as well, for the last couple days, and no one has mentioned negative affects from the adapters. I am assuming they are fine, because all I have read is good things about the 5670 tubes, and it seems that almost all are using the same adapters.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #783 of 2,717
Does anyone know if those adapters negatively affect SQ? I know some people reported some socket savers that did.
I have socket savers ($2.49 from Tube Depot) and 5670 adapters (ebay about 20 $ shipped to canada). No problem with sound quality. In fact I use the socket savers with with 5670 adapters. The stock Tubes are absolutely fantastic. 5670's added in are nicer to me ! I think more expensive socket savers are snake oil.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #785 of 2,717
5670's are dirt cheap.....best bang for the buck upgrade (with adapters). Cheap upgrade with great results all around. For those who wonder about using grado and other low impendence headphones with Valhalla 2......It sounds fan-friggin-tastic ! Plenty of "Ball's" for them. I prefer it to my Vali 2 and Bravo Ocean....and both have more power output into low impedance.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #787 of 2,717
I'm using the $2.49 socket savers from Tube Depot; I got them for entirely aesthetic reasons: IMO the amp looks far nicer with the the tubes sitting higher out of the case. FWIW, the amp does run noticeably cooler in this configuration. Since the 5670 adapters accomplish the same thing, once I get them I don't intend to use the socket savers on the driver tubes.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #789 of 2,717
Hi all
My schiit valhalla 2 Developed a hum in the right channel today.
Was using it yesterday but forgot to switch it off , it was a bit toasty this morning.
when I swap the tubes from the right to the left the problem moves to the left channel.
probably the tubes then??
can you tubes get damaged if you leave the amp on to long?

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #791 of 2,717
What kills tubes is turning them on and off alot.....leaving them on for long periods of time dont really hurt them as much as a frequent on/off cycle.

If a tube has 5000 hours mtbf then you should be able to leave them on for 5000 hours before they go below their spec's.

When I listen I turn on the amp, let it bake for an hour or so and listen for a few hours....vs turning it on and off every 15-30 minutes...this on off cycle
tears up the "magic" stuff on the plate, cathode, heater etc....

A.

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #793 of 2,717
I'd pull them tubes , and re-seat them. You can also get some deoxit and clean the pins. Over time the pins can get corroded.
Hi all
My schiit valhalla 2 Developed a hum in the right channel today.
Was using it yesterday but forgot to switch it off , it was a bit toasty this morning.
when I swap the tubes from the right to the left the problem moves to the left channel.
probably the tubes then??
can you tubes get damaged if you leave the amp on to long?

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #795 of 2,717
Have ordered a new set of tubes .
The amp was bought used off ebay and have only been using it for a few weeks so maybe I was unlucky and the tubes were on the way out.

Never heard any signs of sound degrading or any nasty hum last night and today borked.
Just wondering after having the amp on all evening and forgetting to turn off could damage your tubes it does get pretty hot compared to my little dot III (which I have left on for ages) I,m back to using till the dot till my new tubes arrive.

Just ordered stock tubes of schiit ,was very much enjoying the stock sound with my new beyerdynamic T1.
Think I could live with this combo for a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back