Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #661 of 2,717
Thanks so much for the responses. I'll pick up some of the JJ ECC88 Gold pins since they aren't too much money and give them a go.

Thanks ZenGentleman for the info on the DAC upgrade.

I do have one more question since you both use the Multibit Bifrost. Is it a big step up from the regular 4490 Bifrost?
I have not heard the 4490, but the multibit sounds like like no other DAC that I have heard. I like the Modi Multibit MUCH better than Modi Uber. There is no comparison. I hope that helps.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #662 of 2,717
Thanks so much for the responses. I'll pick up some of the JJ ECC88 Gold pins since they aren't too much money and give them a go.

Thanks ZenGentleman for the info on the DAC upgrade.

I do have one more question since you both use the Multibit Bifrost. Is it a big step up from the regular 4490 Bifrost?
I love the sound of my Bifrost MB but I haven’t spent any time with the 4490 version of the DAC so I can’t give you a “versus” comparison. Honestly, my choice was made last June by simply reading up on the differences in implementation of multibit vs delta-sigma in DACs and I liked what I read about the supposed benefits of multibit.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #663 of 2,717
I'm thinking about upgrading my Bifrost to MB but am curious about the USB Gen 5 upgrade. Does anybody have experience with that yet? I haven't had any problems with mine so I'm wondering if the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." adage applies.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #664 of 2,717
The USB GEN5 upgrade was literally JUST announced yesterday (7/19) and there is a queue for getting a unit upgraded. When I contacted Schiit they told me it would take 5 business days for the upgrade, plus shipping time. I was #22 in line yesterday and I’m #21 today, so progress is happening slowly. We probably won’t start seeing upgraded units back to owners until next week.

You should read the description of the upgrade at the Schiit website. It’s not about “fixing something that was broken,” it’s about improved performance. I know how much adding a Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier improved the sound of my Bifrost Multibit and now, with this new USB upgrade, it eliminates the need for a Wyrd, as the DAC chip now gets its power from the unit and not the USB output from your computer. That, and other power supply improvements, should have a noticeable impact on the DAC’s performance. I’m anxious to send mine in.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #665 of 2,717
Anxious to hear reports as they come available. I'm definitely not of the sort to spend hundreds of $ on things such as "audiophile power cords" and their ilk so I'll wait to hear what people say before joining the queue.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #666 of 2,717
Anxious to hear reports as they come available. I'm definitely not of the sort to spend hundreds of $ on things such as "audiophile power cords" and their ilk so I'll wait to hear what people say before joining the queue.
I'm feeling the same way. I'm very happy with everything I have bought from Schiit but am a bit sceptical about hearing any sonic benefits with this upgrade.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #667 of 2,717
I just sent my new Bifrost back in an exchange program...I was pleasantly surprised that when I asked if there was a installation kit for the Gen 5 USB that there was none at the time but I qualified for an exchange seeing how I just bought my Bifrost recently.

So its on its way back to Schiit in exchange.

Anyone know how the gen 5 shows up in Windows ? USB 5 ?

Alex

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #668 of 2,717
Power tubes!?
I think over the last 3 weeks I have been through all 45 pages of this thread and have not really seen much talk about the power tubes.

6N6P.
1. Do they need to be matched? Schiit supposedly matches them.
2. Why are they so effing hard to find? I have searched google left and and right and can only find 3 sources. Schiit, tubestore.com (for 60$ for a matched set!!!!), and Ebay.
3. If I buy off ebay what is gold gird? Platinum matched? Etc. etc. All these guys have 100% positive feedback scores, but you can't trust something that just says "matched". Even if they say they used the LG-1 bla bla to 1% match. You just take their word. but they have the same rating that the Latvian guy does selling the same tubes for half the price.

I guess thats all for now. I need some power tube replacements... and no idea if I should bother with match pairs or who the hell to buy them from.

(BTW what do you think of this listing for the whole Valhalla set, cheaper than Schiit) ?

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #669 of 2,717
Dear head-fiers,
after all this 45 pages I'm little lost...
Could you advise best tubes for valhalla 2 and Sennheiser HD 650?
Best means: ‘3D picture’; more space, deeper stage… but not to any lose details
I was thinking of telefunken’s e88cc, but someone write there was no significantly improvement in sound...
I have Russian NOS tubes that comes with vall2….
Thanks

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #670 of 2,717
Dear head-fiers,
I was thinking of telefunken’s e88cc, but someone write there was no significantly improvement in sound...
Thanks

I use Valhalla with HD800 and have tried quite a few tubes. To my ear, Telefunken sound similar to JJ standard pins. My favorite tubes are JJ gold pins, more body and overall more pleasing.

You could try both of them and if your ear likes standard pins over gold, you could then progress to Telefunken or Mullard.

Aug 3, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #671 of 2,717
Dear head-fiers,
Thanks
JJ E88CC Gold is a great "bang for your buck" tube to get the best sound out of the Valhalla 2 with Sennheisers in my experience over the past 14 months.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #672 of 2,717
Thanks guys, I will try those, price is very reasonable... telefunkens are 400-500 USD on ebay for ‘matched’ pair...

I’m very curious (regarding all positive comments here) about ’75 voskhod 6n23p also; price is ‘round 100 USD on ebay …

Did you hear ’75 voskhod on your systems? Can you tell me difference between JJ’s and ’75 HG?

What’s bothering me (I have HD 650; pretty warm, thick sound+ MARANTZ SA player - also very ‘warm’ sound) is: will get some clarity and space, more details with those tubes.

When I played ‘easy’ jazz on this system (with stock Russian tubes) sound is very pleasant, but when I put some classical music- all ‘picture’ become very blurred, ‘heavy’…

Or should I just buy HD800 for classical and more dynamic music?

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #673 of 2,717
Thanks guys, I will try those, price is very reasonable... telefunkens are 400-500 USD on ebay for ‘matched’ pair...

I’m very curious (regarding all positive comments here) about ’75 voskhod 6n23p also; price is ‘round 100 USD on ebay …

Did you hear ’75 voskhod on your systems? Can you tell me difference between JJ’s and ’75 HG?

What’s bothering me (I have HD 650; pretty warm, thick sound+ MARANTZ SA player - also very ‘warm’ sound) is: will get some clarity and space, more details with those tubes.

When I played ‘easy’ jazz on this system (with stock Russian tubes) sound is very pleasant, but when I put some classical music- all ‘picture’ become very blurred, ‘heavy’…

Try the tubes first. I found no corelation between cost and what I like. Do try both JJs, based upon your impression of both of them, I can steer you further.

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #674 of 2,717

I remember someone shared before that no need to spend more than $60 on tubes. Forgot 1 tube or a pair. Anyway, I saw not a couple people were disappointed on some expensive tubes.
Now I'm using some very cheap 6N3PEs with adapters. I like them. I think it's better than 5670 on V2, though on my another amplifier with stock 6n3p/5670 tubes, 5670 is much better than 6n3pe.
You may try some 6n3p-class tubes since it's much cheaper than 6922-class tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back