Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #151 of 2,717
Hey Now!

Very interesting discussion!  Learning a lot.  I grew up with a father that had all McIntosh tube equipment and large corner horn klipsch speakers.  My ears were tainted at a young age :)  I recently purchased a Valhalla and Napa-Acoustic NA-208C CD player.  I switch between listening to CDs and FLAC on Fiio F3 with my 650s.  My office mate got a Woo W7 just to show me up.  I'm feeling a bit jealous but not sure if that is warranted.  

I'm considering adding a Bifrost DAC and using the digital out of the CD and F3.  Do you imagine this will produce a noticeable change in sound?

I am intrigued with the idea of trying different tubes with my Vahalla.  I read this whole thread and there is a common theme of "tubes from Mr. Tom".  How does one arrange for a set of "tubes from Mr. Tom"?

On the topic of tube rolling what is some advice on the best way to remove and replace tubes so as not to damage the Vahalla or the tube itself.  Do you use your fingers to rock the tube out?  I had a hard time getting one of my stock tubs into the Vahalla.  What about a "socket saver"?  Will these impact the sound?  

Thanks!

May 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #153 of 2,717
On the topic of tube rolling what is some advice on the best way to remove and replace tubes so as not to damage the Vahalla or the tube itself.  Do you use your fingers to rock the tube out?  I had a hard time getting one of my stock tubs into the Vahalla.  What about a "socket saver"?  Will these impact the sound?  

Just cut a piece of "rubberized" shelf liner. It gives a great grip.

May 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #154 of 2,717
Haha I use the same stuff to remove my tubes. So useful in many places. I mainly use it to keep my phone from falling off my table.

biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #161 of 2,717
  Thanks guys. What tubes should I get if I want a deeper bass ? I just bought some DT990 and I still lack a bit of bass...

Your songs are lacking bass, because DT990 is already a bass monster! You could simply add a slight EQ bump to the < 100 Hz range when you feel like it.  Something like a curve from 3-5 db at 0 Hz to 1-2 db at 100 hz should give you that extra "Oomph".

100% garranted effect

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #165 of 2,717
  Sadly, I don't have an EQ. My cd player goes straight into my Valhalla.

Sorry mate, thought you were using a computer as a source :/

6n6p from Novosibirsk might be what you're looking for then. Gave me the impression they had a little more punch/control in the sub bass department. Might be because they change the output impedance a little compared to the stock tubes, or it might be all happening between my two ears....  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back