Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #167 of 2,717
  Sub-question: Is there such a thing as a good EQ for your system? I heard that it gutted the sound quality and that it was never worth it. 

Well, I believe any simple software EQ from a software media player can be "good". It doesn't cut anything from your music, except a few dB at the frequency you want. I don't get the general "snobbism" from the audiophile community againsn't EQ. I'd rather apply a gentle EQ curve at the 6 kHz peak of the HD800 than spending hundreds, if not thousands on gear to try to "hardware EQ" the same peak, without being sure of the outcome.

My 2 cents on this.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #169 of 2,717
Hey all--I've been lurking this thread, I'm interested in purchasing the Valhalla 2.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much discussion regarding rolling the 6N6P output tubes. 6N6P is roughly equivalent to ECC99 and E182CC, yes? Has anybody experimented with those varieties, and what did you think? Thanks! :)

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #170 of 2,717
Well, I believe any simple software EQ from a software media player can be "good". It doesn't cut anything from your music, except a few dB at the frequency you want. I don't get the general "snobbism" from the audiophile community againsn't EQ. I'd rather apply a gentle EQ curve at the 6 kHz peak of the HD800 than spending hundreds, if not thousands on gear to try to "hardware EQ" the same peak, without being sure of the outcome.

My 2 cents on this.

The "snobbism" came from analog equalizers that did a crude job of equalizing, and added distortions and colorations. It was best to avoid those except for the rare expensive few that did a good job. Equalizing in the digital domain is a different thing, and not much objection to that.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #172 of 2,717
is there a way to delete a triple-post?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #173 of 2,717
is there a way to delete a triple-post?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #174 of 2,717
  Hey all--I've been lurking this thread, I'm interested in purchasing the Valhalla 2.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much discussion regarding rolling the 6N6P output tubes. 6N6P is roughly equivalent to ECC99 and E182CC, yes? Has anybody experimented with those varieties, and what did you think? Thanks! :)

I am curious as well about , and the 7119 tube also.....

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #177 of 2,717
[size=x-small]Changing tubes in a good power amp is not a waste of money, but Your mileage may vary.[/size]

[size=x-small]I could record the output difference between an EL84 & a 7189 that would sonically disprove Your opinion.[/size]
[size=x-small]The difference between a Bendix 5992 & a chinese 6V6 is like night in day in a [/size]transparent[size=x-small] amp Like an emerysound Microbaby.[/size]

[size=x-small]There is a reason the early RCA 6L6GC is worth so much, because they cannot be compared to today's crappy chinese tubes, [/size]
[size=x-small]the harsh brittle effects of these tubes are well-documented by professional amp repairmen, as well as Major recording studios.[/size]

[size=x-small]You won't find any russian or chinese tubes in the Fairchild 660's or 670 @  El Dorado, simply because they do not have the lifespan, consistency or quietness that a NOS military valve does.[/size]

[size=x-small]This is fact, not opinion for the Engineers & studios that charge people like Bruce Springsteen & The cars to MIx/Master.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back