Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Apr 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #136 of 2,717
I have rolled 6DJ8 tubes in my Sonic Frontier power amp in the past. I am considering getting the Valhalla, so this thread has been of real interest to me. Please see my post in the recommendations forum.

I have rolled Mullards, Telefunkens, Amperex PQ 6922 and bugle boys, Sovtek 6922, JJ 6DJ8.

To my ears, there was a world of difference between the older NOS stuff and the Sovteks. Sovtek were just bright and brittle. Terrible.

The Mullards were darker and softer, the Telefunkens neutral and clean, PQ similar to the Telefunkens but not as clean and smooth. By far, in this amp and system, the best sounding were the bugle boys (tubes ranged from 1962 to 64). Beautiful open detailed sound. Made the music seem present and alive. Awesome tube. Truly made a significant improvement. The Mullards and Telefunkens actually made a good mixed combination (4 6DJ8 tubes).

The power tubes in this amp are EL34. Could also roll in KT 88 and KT90 tubes. Power tubes didn't effect the sound as much as the driver tubes, but the type 2 KT90 Ei tubes were awesome. All gone now from what I understand.

I'm interested, if I get the Valhalla, of the effect of tube rolling.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #137 of 2,717
I have rolled 6DJ8 tubes in my Sonic Frontier power amp in the past. I am considering getting the Valhalla, so this thread has been of real interest to me. Please see my post in the recommendations forum.

I have rolled Mullards, Telefunkens, Amperex PQ 6922 and bugle boys, Sovtek 6922, JJ 6DJ8.

To my ears, there was a world of difference between the older NOS stuff and the Sovteks. Sovtek were just bright and brittle. Terrible.

The Mullards were darker and softer, the Telefunkens neutral and clean, PQ similar to the Telefunkens but not as clean and smooth. By far, in this amp and system, the best sounding were the bugle boys (tubes ranged from 1962 to 64). Beautiful open detailed sound. Made the music seem present and alive. Awesome tube. Truly made a significant improvement. The Mullards and Telefunkens actually made a good mixed combination (4 6DJ8 tubes).

The power tubes in this amp are EL34. Could also roll in KT 88 and KT90 tubes. Power tubes didn't effect the sound as much as the driver tubes, but the type 2 KT90 Ei tubes were awesome. All gone now from what I understand.

I'm interested, if I get the Valhalla, of the effect of tube rolling.

Significant differences (no output transformers, so you're really hearing "through" the Valhalla). JAN Sylvanias that I like in my SFS-40 did not bring smiles in my Valhalla setup; forward and edgy. Have tried several others, but I'm back to Russkie 6n1p tubes, either some 1960s I got from Mr Tom or the stockers. A lot depends on the cans you're driving of course.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #138 of 2,717
Sounds like apples and oranges with the sonic frontiers and the Valhalla. Too bad not more of a direct comparison as that was one factor I was looking at as a positive in purchasing the Valhalla.

How are you liking your Valhalla amp?

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #139 of 2,717
Sounds like apples and oranges with the sonic frontiers and the Valhalla. Too bad not more of a direct comparison as that was one factor I was looking at as a positive in purchasing the Valhalla.

How are you liking your Valhalla amp?

Two years into it, very well. It's in no sense a "soft & round" tube amp, however. It's detailed, fast, and lively, with great texture. Suits my preferences to a "T".

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #142 of 2,717
RentWhat do Valhalla owners think about reviews that feel the Asgaard is smoother, more open sound stage and has more midrange presence? Do you think the tubes weren't burnt in? Is the Asagaard a smoother amp? I am looking to match them with the Sen HD 600.

May 7, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #143 of 2,717
I know this doesn't have anything to do with rolling but I will be placing my order for the Valhalla and the Uber Bifrost along with a pair of HD-650s in the next week or so, I CAN'T wait to get my grubby little hands on them.

I plan on doing some tube rolling although no right off the bat but I have went over this thread more times than I can count so I have a good idea of what kind of tubes I wanna pick up for it. As you can tell I'm very excited to finally be getting into this, I'm pretty sure I've drove my wife crazy talking to her about it and showing her picture after picture but hey that's the fun in being married.

May 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #144 of 2,717
RentWhat do Valhalla owners think about reviews that feel the Asgaard is smoother, more open sound stage and has more midrange presence? Do you think the tubes weren't burnt in? Is the Asagaard a smoother amp? I am looking to match them with the Sen HD 600.

Unfortunately I can't compare these as I have the 1st iteration of the Asgard and the first of the Valhalla (not rollable) so my review wouldn't make any sense as the Asgard 2 is a different amp now (much better).

May 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #145 of 2,717
I had a question. What do you guys usually use to store your tubes in? I've seen some pretty nifty looking boxes and stuff out there I just didn't know where to get them or if you primarily just keep them in the little cardboard box they originally came in. Thank you

May 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #146 of 2,717
I had a question. What do you guys usually use to store your tubes in? I've seen some pretty nifty looking boxes and stuff out there I just didn't know where to get them or if you primarily just keep them in the little cardboard box they originally came in. Thank you

Best I've got are a couple boxes for the Schiit Valhalla sets cause they hold 4, snooty Psvane boxes are good, original boxes are OK, especially for larger power tubes, the worst of my mess are baggies with padding.:D

May 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #148 of 2,717
Enough is enough. Going to pull the trigger on the Valhalla. What can I look forward to in terms of sonic improvement with my Sen 600s currently played through an iPhone 5? Big difference, subtle difference?

May 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #149 of 2,717
Enough is enough. Going to pull the trigger on the Valhalla. What can I look forward to in terms of sonic improvement with my Sen 600s currently played through an iPhone 5? Big difference, subtle difference?

From your phone alone, you should hear a definitive improvement. Will you still feed it from your Iphone? If you want a big improvement, you need to step up your whole chain, with a good DAC too.

May 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #150 of 2,717
I have a DAC that I am upgrading to play CDs through. I will still be playing the iPhone straight through the amp. Any suggestions for how to connect the iPhone to the DAC using coaxial? The only real option for doing this is through the Pure i20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back