Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 1, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,426 of 2,717
It's been about 4 years since last listening with my V2, and I am loving it! My taste in sound since then, has changed quite a bit. I have gone from a basshead who did not even know what mids were, to a full on mids guy, and bass second, and highs last. So, back when I was a basshead using the Valhalla it never really completely satisfied. I still love my bass, however my taste has evolved and I now favor a more balance sound, and even talk about the highs. I also, have a much better pair of headphones (ZMF Atticus & Aeolus) and DAC (Schiit Gungnir Multibit) to pair with my V2, and I can really appreciate the amp a lot more now.

So, I rolled in the Telefunken E88CC I got from Upscale Audio back in the day, and damn this tube sounds killer. I never really liked it before, but I decided to start with my most "neutral" tube for today's tube rolling adventures, and I am glad I did. I have to say I am impressed.

Listening to my V2 today, has been like hanging out with an old friend, I never really knew until now. :o2smile:

Telefunken E88CC & Stock Power Tubes
20210101_115857.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,430 of 2,717
LOL! @regaet - Impressions of all tubes in pics, coming shortly. . . I will say the WE JW 2C51, are currently in the pole position. :wink:
20210103_052801.jpg

20210103_052949.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,431 of 2,717
I am wrapping up this weekend's tube roll off with my beloved V2, and the top 6 tubes I prefer have emerged. I will provide detailed summaries of all tubes after today's final roll off. I had a blast, and some of these tubes really surprised me.

From left to right - Amperex PQ 7308, Tung Sol JTL 5670, Philips SQ E188CC, Telefunken E88CC, Reflektor 6N3P Triple Mica, and Western Electric JW 2C51.

20210103_053801.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,433 of 2,717
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of VH2. There's just something about it that leads me to listen to it even more-so than my Lyr 3!! My favorite HP with VH2 is the Hifiman Ananda (I upgraded from Sundara). It is a low impedance headphone, but thanks to its efficiency, it works wonderfully with VH2, much to the chagrin of my HD6XX cans.

As far as tubes go -- I STRONGLY suggest rolling in a 12AU7 or 12AT7 class tube (adapter needed for both). The best pairing I have found with VH2 is the Brimar CV4033s. They are absolutely wonderfully detailed with a lush (not gooey) midrange coupled with nice shimmery top-end and nice extended bottom-end with a touch of slam. They run about $45 each at Tubemonger and are an excellent pairing with the Hifiman sound. :wink:
Been digging through old post, and this is one I was happy to find. :smiley: I actually have 2 pairs of the CV4033 from Tubemonger on the way, that I just purchased this morning on a rec from another member. I absolutely love the CV4034 in my Liquid Platinum, so I know what the CV4033 are capable of, and can't wait to hear them in the V2!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,434 of 2,717
Well, now you've done it, @Wes S . Just when I thought I had moved on...

I moved Incubus and Arya / AFC HPs into my listening room with my VH2 relegated to a shelf as it just will not drive Arya or AFCs and my HD6XX listening was just too little to displace Lyr 3. Well now that I have only HD6XX HP for my work rig, I decided to dust VH2 off and roll it in and roll-out Lyr 3 for a bit after reading your post. Geez Louise -- I had forgotten how good VH2 pairs with HD6XX! Not ready to say it will be displacing Lyr 3, but the fact that I'm not ready to say says a whole lot about how good this amp really is, IMHO!! Currently have the TM CV-4033s in and will likely move onto the Western Electric WE396A JC versions for a comparo at a later time. As I recall, I really loved the soundstage on those. :D

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,435 of 2,717
Well, now you've done it, @Wes S . Just when I thought I had moved on...

I moved Incubus and Arya / AFC HPs into my listening room with my VH2 relegated to a shelf as it just will not drive Arya or AFCs and my HD6XX listening was just too little to displace Lyr 3. Well now that I have only HD6XX HP for my work rig, I decided to dust VH2 off and roll it in and roll-out Lyr 3 for a bit after reading your post. Geez Louise -- I had forgotten how good VH2 pairs with HD6XX! Not ready to say it will be displacing Lyr 3, but the fact that I'm not ready to say says a whole lot about how good this amp really is, IMHO!! Currently have the TM CV-4033s in and will likely move onto the Western Electric WE396A JC versions for a comparo at a later time. As I recall, I really loved the soundstage on those. :D
Awesome man! My LP definitely has better technical performance, but there is just something special with 300 ohm headphones and the V2. I can't wait to get my CV4033.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,436 of 2,717
Argh... I had finally settled on Lyr3 with CBS Hytron 5692, and put my VH2 up for sale... now you have me wondering if I just needed different tubes for VH2

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,437 of 2,717
Hey fellow V2 tube rollers! I have wrapped up my tube rolling marathon that I started over this past weekend and I have some interesting results.

The system used to evaluate the tubes - Qobuz HiRez > Bluesound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir Multibit > Schitt Valhalla 2 > ZMF Atticus w/ Norne Audio Draug 3 cable > :o2smile:

I was a bit surprised with the outcome, and found the "one". What I look for in a tube first and foremost, is a tonality and timbre that sounds lifelike. Then I look for tight hard hitting bass, clean mids, foward vocals, and smooth extended treble. Lastly, I like a holographic and wide soundstage and the bigger the better.

1. Amperex Holland Bugle Boy ECC88 D Getters 58' - Outstanding tube and my favorite out of the bunch. Bass hits hard and is tight and textured to perfection, mids are clean clear and snappy with vocals front and center, and the highs sparkle and shimmer. This tube has some warmth from the big midbass, but never bleeds into the mids. The soundstage is as holographic as it gets. Overall, this tube is dynamic, detailed and lifelike more than any of the other tubes listed. I am hearing things in the recording, that I don't hear with any of the other tubes, all while never being fatiguing. This tube is incredible, and is my current number 1 recommendation for the Valhalla 2, at the moment.

2. Tung Sol Black Plate Square Getter 2C51/396a - Dynamic, tight and big. This tube is very good, and has a clean sound with big bass. This tube is cleaner sounding than the WE 396a, and has tighter and stronger bass, as well. The soundstage is huge, being wide and deep. This tube is really good, but compared to the Bugle Boy D Getter ECC88, they don't sound quite as lifelike and miss out on some of the micro detail.

3. Amperex 7308 PQ USA 64' - This tube is outstanding as well, and is the most unique of the bunch. The bass is tight textured and impactful with a midbass focus. The mids are super forward and especially the vocals. With this tube it feels as if you are standing on stage and you are the one singing. The holographic soundstage is in full effect with this tube, and sounds explode all around your head coming in and out of focus. The speed of this tube, is unmatched and the notes have good snap, and weight to them. The dynamics are the strong suit of this tube. Overall, this tube sounds very lifelike, forward, impactful, and detailed, but is very forward.

4. Philips E188CC SQ Grey Shield Big O Getter Holland 65' - Big, warm and wide. This tube is warm overall with somewhat bloated, but super powerful bass. In fact, this tube has the strongest and biggest bass of all tubes listed. The mids are creamy, and the vocals are smooth as butter and some of the most pleasing I have heard. The highs are extended, and the soundstage is wide and deep. Overall, this tube sounds slower and more romantic, but lacks detail.

5. Western Electric JW 2C51/396a Square Getter 52' - Warm, balanced and smooth. This tube is what you want when you are looking for some warmth, but don't want to sacrifice balance and detail. The bass is strong, but not as tight as the Tung Sol 2C51, and the overall sound is very similar. This tube has a really good soundstage that goes wide and deep.

6. Reflektor 6N3P Triple Mica 50's - This tube is the most "V shaped" of all tubes tested. The bass is big, strong and tight and leaves you wanting nothing. Then we get to the mids, and this is where this tube falls short and sounds a bit thin and uneven. The vocals are decent, and the highs are extended but never harsh. This tube is unique in that overall it sounds warm, but has those uneven mids that sound thin at times, so you get this contrasting sound, that sounds a bit strange.

7. Brimar CV2492 - Smooth, wide and dynamic. This tube is very balanced overall. The bass is deep, tight and big, with a subbass focus. The mids are well balanced and the vocals are big and forward. The highs are where this tube shines and they are outstanding. This is the tube for "treble heads" no doubt.

8. Sylvania 6922 D Getter - Big, wide and transparent. This tube has big bass that rivals the Philips E188CC. The mids are super transparent and the highs have sparkle. The bass is subbass focused, and as a result the sound is a bit thin compared to the others. This tube is very good and well balanced, but just does not have the magic with other stuff in the chain. I love this tube in my LP (my favorite of all 6922's), but could not really jive with it in my V2.

Honorable Mention goes to the Telefunken E88CC, as this tube was the most neutral tube of the bunch, that actually really surprised me. When I used this tube back in the day, with lesser gear in the chain, I was not impressed at all. However, with better gear in the chain and especially headphones, this tube is smooth, detailed and balanced, with a killer holographic soundstage. This tube is so linear, that it does not have any flare or character and becomes a bit boring after a while. Overall, this tube is really really good, and in the right situation could be the "one", but it is definitely not worth the crazy prices they are going for.

It was a lot of fun rolling all the tubes I collected back in the day, and I am so happy with the performance of this amp with the Bugle Boy ECC88 D Getters and my ZMF Atticus, that I am waking up early and going to bed late, to get as much listening time as I can. Overall, the Valhalla 2 has this very a pleasing clean and dynamic sound, with really good detail and vocals, and a crazy fun holographic soundstage. I have more tubes and adapters arriving by the end of this week, and will report back once I have rolled those. More fun to come . . .:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,438 of 2,717
My current # 1 tube in the V2, that I highly recommend.

Amperex Holland Bugle Boy ECC88 D Getters 58'

20210106_121805.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,439 of 2,717
A very special tube arrived in the mail today!

Brimar CV4033

20210106_163208.jpg

The adapters should arrive tomorrow, and then it's on! I have it on good authority, these tubes are on another level, and I can't wait to find out for myself. :o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back