Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,411 of 2,717
I just swapped out the stock 6N1Ps and replaced them with GE 6CG7s. To me things are much improved in terms of midrange clarity and more solid imaging so I'll probably keep them as my default driver tubes going forward. Has anyone else tried them recently?

Also, in addition to driving various headphones I also use my Valhalla 2 to drive a pair of JBL 305P (originals, not MK II) powered monitors. If anyone else is using desktop monitors, what are you using and why do you like them? I suspect the JBLs can be improved upon and would love to get some upgrade suggestions.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,412 of 2,717
Stupid Question - have you tried thoroughly cleaning your headphone plug & jack with alcohol?
I cleaned everything as best I could.
I think the problem is actually the outlets in my office. I moved the entire rig to the bedroom and it's super quiet. I think I need to look into power conditioners if I want to keep the rig in my office.

I also got some really good directional RCA cables and rolled out the supplied tubes for some Brimars. Its great now! Very happy.

Although, I must say I went back and forth on the original tubes and the Brimars; they both seem to present the music in the same manner--no discernible difference for me. Really appreciate everyone's help on this :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,414 of 2,717
I dont know why but so far the stock sound best to me :) I tried gold lions (least fav) and pair gold teslas got off ebay they were ok. But the stock seem to give me the best soundstage, music just sounds open, and doesn't have high screech for highs that lions had. maybe just need more seat time but switched back to stock since they didnt get as much seat time. Have some Matsushita/National tubes on way to try out.

Maybe once schiit modius arrives it will change things so will keep testing.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,415 of 2,717
Hello all, new to tube amps and have a valhalla 2 coming in the mail on Monday. I'm pairing it with my hd600's and was wondering if there is a set of tubes that are universally loved for this pairing? I will try the stock ones for a bit, but I'm excited to start rolling. So far I have been eying a set of russian 6n23p's off amazon, but I have no idea how to shop for tubes. Thanks in advance for any input or guidance

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,416 of 2,717
Hello all, new to tube amps and have a valhalla 2 coming in the mail on Monday. I'm pairing it with my hd600's and was wondering if there is a set of tubes that are universally loved for this pairing? I will try the stock ones for a bit, but I'm excited to start rolling. So far I have been eying a set of russian 6n23p's off amazon, but I have no idea how to shop for tubes. Thanks in advance for any input or guidance
I would say a pair of 6CG7, they fit on the front and are easy to remove. One of the best IMO.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,418 of 2,717
6cg7 are basically 6sn7 in a nine pin package. They are very Tubey sounding to me. I can see the appeal but were not my favorite. You will have to find out what you like yourself.

A good starting point would be the 6cg7 vs JJ E88CC Red. The Russian tubes you mentioned are going to sound like stock tubes with perhaps a lower noise floor. The 6CG7 have a bit of bloom which you may love, or not. The JJ E88CC red are comparatively dry but don't have the gritty high end of the EH tubes, so I think that they are a better choice between the two.

The JJ E88CC Gold adds more euphonic distortion, which I personally like a lot and I think pairs well with the HD600.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,419 of 2,717
6cg7 are basically 6sn7 in a nine pin package. They are very Tubey sounding to me. I can see the appeal but were not my favorite. You will have to find out what you like yourself.

A good starting point would be the 6cg7 vs JJ E88CC Red. The Russian tubes you mentioned are going to sound like stock tubes with perhaps a lower noise floor. The 6CG7 have a bit of bloom which you may love, or not. The JJ E88CC red are comparatively dry but don't have the gritty high end of the EH tubes, so I think that they are a better choice between the two.

The JJ E88CC Gold adds more euphonic distortion, which I personally like a lot and I think pairs well with the HD600.
Thank you for the insight as to what to expect from different tubes. I agree 100% that I need to find what I like, but yours and Gazny's input are much appreciated and get me pointed in a direction. The JJ golds and the 6cg7's sound like 2 contrasting sets to get me started

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,420 of 2,717
Thank you for the insight as to what to expect from different tubes. I agree 100% that I need to find what I like, but yours and Gazny's input are much appreciated and get me pointed in a direction. The JJ golds and the 6cg7's sound like 2 contrasting sets to get me started
Give us follow up on your thoughts. This is a community after all.
bruce-campbell-evil-dead.jpg

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,421 of 2,717
i have the eh6922 , JJ e88cc and some nos 1970 orange globes amperex made in holland , the orange globes are my favorite by far . really sweet buterry tone , and still detailled , liked them with the hd800s , still my favs with the meze 99 noir . that headphone being warm , i was wondering if it was gonna be a good pairing , still is the best . i was disapointed in the eh6922 , jj e88cc are kind of ok to my ears , accurate sound but missing something i feel .

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,423 of 2,717
Happy New Year, tube rollers!

I am looking for a pair of 12au7 to 6922 adapters, and was wondering if anyone in this thread has a pair, that they would be willing to sell? I prefer the Tubemonger type, but will consider other options as well. Thanks for your time, and fingers crossed one of you has a spare set they will sell me.
:fingers_crossed::slight_smile::fingers_crossed:

EDIT - I just found a pair of adapters, so won't be looking for anymore. Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #1,424 of 2,717
Hey there fellow V2 owners!

The V2 was my first headphone amp, that I bought back in 2016. I used it with a Mimby, HD600/650 and DT1770 back in the day, and loved every second. I eventually stopped using the V2, put it away for storage and moved on to other amps. I really thought I would never use it again, but kept it and all the tubes I bought for it just in case. Well, a couple of days ago I was talking with another forum member about ZMF dynamics (300 ohm headphones that play very well with OTL's) and he mentioned the V2 as a possible amp purchase. I remembered mine and pulled it out, just to test it out with my ZMF Atticus, to let the member know how it sounded. Long story short, I removed my Bottlehead Crack from the desk, and the V2 has now taken its place. I am using the V2 currently with my Gungnir Multibit, ZMF Atticus, and a pair of Reflektor 6N3P Triple Mica tubes from the 50's (with adapters) and I am completely blown away by how immersive, capable and fun this combo is. The soundstage is huge, the detail is all there, and the tonality and timbre is killer! :o2smile: There is definitely such a thing as synergy with components, and I have discovered a great one. I am an avid tube roller, and can't wait to get some adapters and start rolling some more tubes. I have only rolled 6992, 7308, 2C51/396a/6n3p, so far and I am really looking forward to rolling my top tier 12au7's once I find some adapters. Anyways, this is my long winded post, about how enamored I am all over again with my first headphone amp. :smiley: The last time I visited this thread was back in 2017, so it looks like I have some reading to do. . .

20201230_194843.jpg

20201231_040011.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,425 of 2,717
The tubes I have rolled so far this time around have been -

Sylvania 6922 D Getters 50’s - My favorite tube in the 6922 family. This tube has huge deep and tight bass, transparent mids with a touch of lower mid warmth and nice extended highs with zero harshness. The soundstage is huge, being both wide and deep. My favorite 6922 for a good reason, and unfortunately rare as can be.

Western Electric 2C51/396a Square Getters 50’s - Warm, thick and full sounding. This tube sounds very natural, warm, and balanced, and is definitely a step up from most 6922’s. Powerful bass, but not quite as tight as Sylvania 6922 D Getters. If you are trying to tame a bright headphone this tube can help, without sacrificing detail. The soundstage is big and wide.

Tung Sol JTL 5670 Square Getters Black Plate - Transparent, detailed, and huge sounding. This tube is cleaner in the mids and treble, with even harder hitting bass than the WE 396a. The bass is strong and punchy, the mids are clean, clear and snappy, and the highs sparkle. This tube sounds faster and cleaner than the WE 396a, with really good texture and snap to the notes, while still maintaining that euphonic tube sound. I love this tube paired up with my Atticus.

Reflektor 6N3P Triple Mica 50’s - This is my favorite tube so far, and has the biggest most holographic soundstage I have heard yet. This tube has very good PRAT and just gets me moving and grooving to the music instantly. There is a very similar snappiness to the notes as the Tung Sol, that gets the feet tapping, with a bit more weight to the notes as well, which I really like. The bass is full, strong and punchy, although not quite as tight as Tung Sol, but it has a bit more presence and power. The mids have some warmth in the lower region with good texture, and really good detail in the upper region, and the highs have just the right amount of shimmer. There is an organic and natural sound I can't get enough of, and the way this tube does vocals and imaging of instruments is unique and fun as heck. The 3Dness or holographic like stage and those lifelike vocals that soar with a limitless ceiling, are my favorite aspects of this tube. Definitely a step up from the other 3 tubes mentioned so far, and I am thinking it is gonna take one of my top tier 12au7’s to dethrone this tube.

More Tubes that I have from the 6922 family that I plan to roll today are -

Amperex 7308 PQ White Label
Brimar CV2492
Philips Holland E188CC grey plate big getter
Telefunken E88CC
Bugle Boy ECC88 D Getters

As mentioned previously, I also own a bunch of amazing and rare 12au7’s, that I will be rolling once my adapters arrive, so more to come.

Happy Rolling and Listening! :o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back