Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,381 of 2,716
Of necessity, yes.
It's well executed mod, eh. My bloody socket savers and adaptor had oh-so slightly misaligned pins. And the result is a sliiiiiiightly non-perpendicular tube sticking out of my little Vali 2. I started clipping the pins... a bit on one side... and a bit on the other side. With these results. It functions perfectly fine. Just. You know. It's NOT 90 degrees perpendicular. And. That's. Not. Right. :ksc75smile:

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,382 of 2,716
It's well executed mod, eh. My bloody socket savers and adaptor had oh-so slightly misaligned pins. And the result is a sliiiiiiightly non-perpendicular tube sticking out of my little Vali 2. I started clipping the pins... a bit on one side... and a bit on the other side. With these results. It functions perfectly fine. Just. You know. It's NOT 90 degrees perpendicular. And. That's. Not. Right. :ksc75smile:

Now that I know I like the combo, I'm considering having custom 1-piece, tall adaptors made.

I mean, the tubes already cost more than the amp, so why not? But dayum, it sounds SO good. :D

May 3, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #1,383 of 2,716
Just joined the VH2 rolling club here on headfi. A little warm in here or maybe that is just my tubes. Anyways, a little fun earbud to use with the VH2 is the now discontinued FAAEAL Narcissus 300 ohm.

Happy rolling.

May 12, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #1,384 of 2,716
Hi guys,
In my Post #1,148 i did some tube comparsion of tubes i have. About the stock tubes i wrote, that they have unique soundstage in a way that you are like "in the sound", but unfortunatelly It has somewhat fuzzy and unfocused imaging.
After some time i bought also different 6N1P tubes to compare with the stock ones. I bought Novosibirsk 6N1P and also Voshkod 6N1P-EV. I have to say that both does not have the fussy imaging as stock ones, so it is definitelly worth a try. The sound is very natural and focused and tubes are not expensive.

May 12, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,385 of 2,716
Hi guys,
In my Post #1,148 i did some tube comparsion of tubes i have. About the stock tubes i wrote, that they have unique soundstage in a way that you are like "in the sound", but unfortunatelly It has somewhat fuzzy and unfocused imaging.
After some time i bought also different 6N1P tubes to compare with the stock ones. I bought Novosibirsk 6N1P and also Voshkod 6N1P-EV. I have to say that both does not have the fussy imaging as stock ones, so it is definitelly worth a try. The sound is very natural and focused and tubes are not expensive.
Thanks for the follow up bokononista. I was looking at your thoughts on the Tung-Sol 6CG7 black plate. I was looking to pick up a pair from a very trusted seller. I will have to pick up a few 6N1P-VI(Novosibirsk) and 6N1P-EV(Voskhod), do you have a recommendation where to get them? Have you had any experience with 6N6P tubes? I believe I might have to change mine soon.

May 12, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,386 of 2,716
Thanks for the follow up bokononista. I was looking at your thoughts on the Tung-Sol 6CG7 black plate. I was looking to pick up a pair from a very trusted seller. I will have to pick up a few 6N1P-VI(Novosibirsk) and 6N1P-EV(Voskhod), do you have a recommendation where to get them? Have you had any experience with 6N6P tubes? I believe I might have to change mine soon.
I bought it on ebay - there are many russian, ukraine and other sellers selling russian 6N1P and 6N6P tubes. I never got any bad experience with these guys.

Novosibirsk 6N1P, matched pair from 1960s:
s-l1600 (6).jpg
small.jpg

Voshkod pair 6N1P-EV from 1975:
small.jpg

I also bought the same year Novosibirsk 6N6P power tubes, because the stock tubes i got had about 5 years of difference in year production:
s-l1600.jpg

These power tubes are liitle bit better than stock, but its very subtle difference. I also tried Foton 6N6P power tubes, it got little bit tighter sound but less subbas extension, but difference in power tubes is very very subtle - still hearable.

Difference between 6N1P and 6CG7 is big in sound character - but you have to decide what is good for you, also it very depends what suits your headphones. Maybe try to get 6N1P + 6N6P first from one seller, if you are going to get 6N6P anyway and you will see. Tung-sols 6CG7 are much more expensive. Some people dont like their big soundstage (maybe distant soundstage in front of you). 6N1P does have totally different soundstage - very close and around you. It is the biggest difference between both.

May 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,387 of 2,716
I bought it on ebay - there are many russian, ukraine and other sellers selling russian 6N1P and 6N6P tubes. I never got any bad experience with these guys.

Novosibirsk 6N1P, matched pair from 1960s:
s-l1600 (6).jpgsmall.jpg

Voshkod pair 6N1P-EV from 1975:
small.jpg

I also bought the same year Novosibirsk 6N6P power tubes, because the stock tubes i got had about 5 years of difference in year production:
s-l1600.jpg

These power tubes are liitle bit better than stock, but its very subtle difference. I also tried Foton 6N6P power tubes, it got little bit tighter sound but less subbas extension, but difference in power tubes is very very subtle - still hearable.

Difference between 6N1P and 6CG7 is big in sound character - but you have to decide what is good for you, also it very depends what suits your headphones. Maybe try to get 6N1P + 6N6P first from one seller, if you are going to get 6N6P anyway and you will see. Tung-sols 6CG7 are much more expensive. Some people dont like their big soundstage (maybe distant soundstage in front of you). 6N1P does have totally different soundstage - very close and around you. It is the biggest difference between both.
Great explanation. I personally am looking for a huge sound stage. I am rocking some Raytheon 2C51 right now, They are leaner than the stock tubes, but I got plenty so I have some to give, but I gain more detail on the top end. I am just looking for different sounding tubes, I believe I will have to pick them up. Some of my music is really intimate so it can be great for some tracks.
Besides I can always roll into something else.
My experience has been great with this and the 6xx, just wish I tried this amp sooner.

May 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,388 of 2,716
Great explanation. I personally am looking for a huge sound stage. I am rocking some Raytheon 2C51 right now, They are leaner than the stock tubes, but I got plenty so I have some to give, but I gain more detail on the top end. I am just looking for different sounding tubes, I believe I will have to pick them up. Some of my music is really intimate so it can be great for some tracks.
Besides I can always roll into something else.
My experience has been great with this and the 6xx, just wish I tried this amp sooner.
If you like 2C51, you can try Western Electric 369A - great imaging, i got also (and used them very long as my main tubes) Tung-Sol 2C51 - airy and good soundstage. If you have no experience with 6CG7, definitely try them. All of them are much closer together, because this family is pretty linear. All of them are tight (Valhalla sound is little bit lean so it helps a lot) and have distant soundstage, so you can try even cheaper ones to have an idea (may differ with a different headphones, i use Beyers T1). Those Tung-sols i have just got a better precision and detail than others i have.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,389 of 2,716
+1 on the above. While I love the WE369A on VH2, I actually like the TS 2C51 a tiny bit better. :wink:

May 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,390 of 2,716
I recently took a short break from CV1988 to break in a new pair of Mullard 6BQ7A in Valhalla2.

Not expensive, although this particular set coming from the Netherlands took some time, and they are in most respects comparable to Brimars that I've used before.

May 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,391 of 2,716
I recently took a short break from CV1988 to break in a new pair of Mullard 6BQ7A in Valhalla2.

Not expensive, although this particular set coming from the Netherlands took some time, and they are in most respects comparable to Brimars that I've used before.

I have to say i got some fake Mullards 6BQ7A from Netherlands also, because there is a TAIWAN mark under text - so i suppose its fake :). But the sound is not bad.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

May 22, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,393 of 2,716
I have to say i got some fake Mullards 6BQ7A from Netherlands also, because there is a TAIWAN mark under text - so i suppose its fake :). But the sound is not bad.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Received another pair of these, also without Taiwan markings, although one of them has a 6BZ7 frosting.

After 10+ hours they seem to mellow and sound very clean and balanced to my old ears, much as my Brimars.

I've read that some Mullard shield marked 6BQ7A were actually made by Brimar, but I have no way to verify.

Comparing these to some early 60's Brimars, they are slightly taller and have a different plate and shield structure, so there's no obvious similarity.

Still, they do sound very good, so will stay in the rotation. :D

May 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,394 of 2,716
Balanced being better, really depends on the amp, and other factors. Can't really just say balanced is better. However, if the same amp has balanced outputs, and se outputs, the balanced are usually always better. For the price of the Valhalla 2, it is a great way to get into tubes. Just watch out, it is addicting and won't stop there. . .
I just got a Valhalla 2 -- I'm surprised at how great it sounds, and how many different kinds of headphones I can use with it. It's a perfect match for the HD 650.... I'm curious how people like ZMF's with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back