Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jun 2, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,231 of 2,717
Those are the ones. There are a number of 12a*7 to 6922 adapters available on ebay. I purchased mine from Aliexpress, bypassing eBay. I am not sure what advantage the gold-pins add to the mix except they are more expensive. I have been told that it is not an issue, unless the tube gets corrosion on the pins...which sounds like we are paying to correct a problem that may never exist, and easly solved if it arises--a small wire brush will clean the non-gold pins back to shiny and new...

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,232 of 2,717
Anyone have experience with Orel 6N1Ps? Schiit sent me a replacement set of tubes after one of my 6N6Ps cracked and one of the preamp tubes they sent was an Orel and the other was a Voskod. The original preamp tubes they sent were both Voskod so I’m curious how it’ll sound once broken in.

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,233 of 2,717
Anyone have experience with Orel 6N1Ps? Schiit sent me a replacement set of tubes after one of my 6N6Ps cracked and one of the preamp tubes they sent was an Orel and the other was a Voskod. The original preamp tubes they sent were both Voskod so I’m curious how it’ll sound once broken in.
Interesting. Take a quick image of these chunks of glass?

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,234 of 2,717
Interesting. Take a quick image of these chunks of glass?
bSqB7QyBQs6k9CCif2c9iQ
These are the second “set” they sent me. And these
cwc988rNTrODw_HuthfrMw
are the first set. I’m currently using the matched rockets, although one is from the 80s and the other from the 70s.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,235 of 2,717
The ECC99 tubes are on order, so no comparison yet. It is my understanding the 6N6P tubes are often also designated as ECC99, and it appears that only JJ Electronics is the sole manufacturer outside of China or Russia. There is a small variation in Spec, as would found comparing the stock 6N1P driver tubes to other 6922-type tubes. I am making the assumption that this tube should perform in a similar manner.

From a post in 2011 from DIY Audio: FWIW

"They're all closely related, but not identical.
6N6P is a Russian-made twin triode (medium mu, 9 pin mini). Pin-out is same as ECC88, 6DJ8, and kin. 6.3V filament on pins 4 and 5.
ECC99 is a similar European tube, but slightly higher mu, slightly higher anode resistance, a little different electrically from 6N6P. Pin-out is same as 6N6P, 6.3-volt filament."

I am speculating, but I think they should be OK substitutes. We will see...
Radiomuseum.org states the heater on the 6n6p is 6.3 volts and 0.75 amps. The ECC99 is 12.6 volts and.0.4 amps. Are you planning on connecting the heaters in parallel?

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,236 of 2,717
jj-front.JPG
Radiomuseum.org states the heater on the 6n6p is 6.3 volts and 0.75 amps. The ECC99 is 12.6 volts and.0.4 amps. Are you planning on connecting the heaters in parallel?
No, I just plugged them in and was astounded how much better they sounded than the Schiit Stock 6N6P. They are playing right now, no blue smoke and sweet Music fills the air.

I suppose they could be wired differently, but when I read that they shared the same pin-out and electrical properties as the 6N6P, I figured they would work. And they worked better than I anticipated.

So many folks have said that rolling the power tubes would not yield much difference in SQ, I will heartily disagree. Maybe switching two Russian Tubes may not make any difference, but the JJ-Electronics version certainly sounds different and better--to my ears. I will recommend that matched ECC99 and matched 12AU7 with adapters. They are giving me a much better product in my transducers...I am not trying out any other tubes.
I have the stock as a back-up should breakage occur, I have the 6DJ8 "Unknown" tubes to drop in for a different flavor.

The 6SN7 variants I tried didn't do much for me in addition to being wobbly atop two socket-savers and 6SN7 adapters. ...and they were just Butt-Ugly:L3000::ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,237 of 2,717
Can you describe the sound improvement more, please? What kind of adapters do you use? I am very interested now, I am from the Czech Republic and never tried any JJs yet :)
Well, they sound better. Gone is the gritty harshness in the Treble, gone is the bloated midrange, and the Bass is Punchy but controlled. This could be an ideal set-up of tubes for the Valhalla 2. JJ 12AU7 (ECC82) and JJ-Electronics ECC-99, both are gain matched, and together, the synergy is the best thing I have heard in my Sennheiser 6XX headphones.

My suggestion--Buy from the neighbor--in Slovakia, and I don't think you will regret my advice.

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,238 of 2,717
@Robert Padgett -- I'll be curious to see how long they continue sounding good. As stated the ECC99 needs a 12.6v heater and the 6N6P needs a 6.3v heater. The ECC99 is running at 1/2 the required/designed heater voltage. If a tube is not getting the required heater power it may still operate, but it's life will likely be cut short as it is not getting hot enough to boil off electrons from the coatings at the reate required for optimal operation. This can result in 'cathode poisoning' which impedes gain and in extreme cases increases resistance between cathode and anode which can causes the tube to fail conducting and possibly damage the amp. I would personally recommend NOT using it in VH2.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,239 of 2,717
Hey @Robert Padgett & @Ripper2860 ! Hope all is well!

Actually the good 12au7 go for just as much as the 6922. Look up a Mullard D getter 12au7.

@Robert Padgett -- I'll be curious to see how long they continue sounding good. As stated the ECC99 needs a 12.6v heater and the 6N6P needs a 6.3v heater. The ECC99 is running at 1/2 the required/designed heater voltage. If a tube is not getting the required heater power it may still operate, but it's life will likely be cut short as it is not getting hot enough to boil off electrons from the coatings as designed. This can result in 'cathode poisoning' which impedes gain and in extreme cases increases resistance between cathode and anode which can causes the tube to fail conducting and possibly damage the amp. I would personally recommend NOT using it in VH2.

hmmmmm, I have NO "electrical engineering background", so please... don't kill me... :) Just thinking out loud, hehe... IF it's running at LOWER then the designed settings... wouldn't it last LONGER instead? (although probably NOT giving the BEST results as "expected") or the slightly higher AMPERAGE would make it have an earlier DEATH? :)

Maybe it is like running an engine "outside" the "optimum" torque vs. speed kind of thing? And shift gears at the "wrong" time then?

Again... just got curious... :)

thanks!

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,240 of 2,717
I thought the same thing until I was 'schooled'. If you don't run a tube as hot as it's designed to operate, the oxides will develop and continue to add a coating that adds resistance causing the tube to prematurely degrade / stop functioning. The resistive coating developed can cause the tube to quit conducting current between the cathode and anode and could damage an amp.

Your logic is understandable and may be better suited to solid state, but not so much for tubes. They must boil off electrons at a certain rate and to do so must reach a designated temp.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,241 of 2,717
I thought the same thing until I was 'schooled'. If you don't run a tube as hot as it's designed to operate, the oxides will develop and continue to add a coating that adds resistance causing the tube to prematurely degrade / stop functioning. The resistive coating developed can cause the tube to quit conducting current between the cathode and anode and could damage an amp.

Your logic is understandable and may be better suited to solid state, but not so much for tubes. They must boil off electrons at a certain rate and to do so must reach a designated temp.
@Ripper2860, I see the 6N6P tubes marketed as ECC99 on three Russian tube sites. JJ Electronics said that their tube would work with 6.3 v on the filament.

You know I very new at this, but the only reference into any differences noted that ECC99 has slightly higher Mu (VoltageGain). They sound great. If they crap out in 6 months, I will know better than to try this experiment again. Likewise, if they get any better sounding, I might just EXPLODE...:beyersmile::ksc75smile::fearful:

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,242 of 2,717
I'm not really familiar with the ECC99 and there seems to be conflicting info on ECC99 vs 6N6P. If the MFG says it's a 6.3v compatible tube then who am I to argue with them. Just keep an ear on them and listen for any hissing and sound degradation over time.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,243 of 2,717
From what I read, JJ did deviate from the ECC99 specs (according to specs ECC99 is supposed to be a 7-pin tube), so maybe they did play with heater voltage, as well. ECC99 is more akin to a 12AX7 than a 6N6P, from what I can find and do keep in mind that not all tubes can operate at dual voltage. If the MFG says it's a 6.3v compatible tube, then who am I to argue with them. Just keep an ear on them and listen for any hissing and sound degradation over time.

I have done google searches and have found answers that ranged from "No difference" to one fellow whose tube went out in a blaze upon power-up. It appears that it is a very controversial topic, with as many opinions as opinionators. I am just enjoying them, and we will see if they are a flash in the pan. Reading various forums, it looks like about 50-50, red/black, and coin flip territory

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,244 of 2,717
Yep -- it's a dual voltage tube offering 6.3v and 12.6v heater voltage. And falls below 6N6P in current draw, from what I've found.

I wonder how these compare to my Foton gold grids? :thinking:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,245 of 2,717
Yep; -- it's a dual voltage tube. 6.3v and 12.6v. :wink:

Whew! I am glad we cleared that up. I was getting ready to call the White House and see if POTUS would mind calling Vlad to confirm...:disappointed_relieved::ok_hand::scream: (You Know those Russian tubes could be microphonic....)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back