Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 19, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #241 of 404
Quote:
 I am trying to figure out the soundstage, I have been playing bad company 2 and the environment sounds and distances are a little harder to detect with this amp plugged in, it may take some getting used to.

If you're gaming, you'll probably be better off with SS.  The even order harmonics are likely to mess with the positional sound.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #242 of 404
i think the Valhalla is one of the better looking amps out there. ... but imagine if they came in black!

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #243 of 404
Hey everyone,

I am going to report back on the Valhalla vs. Asgard a bit early.

Reason being I think I have put enough time on the Valhalla to realize that it simply doesn't drive my two primary cans as well as the Asgard does. I sort of knew that the Valhalla wouldn't drive the thunderpants too well seeing as they are relatively low impedance and sensitivity but i wanted to see if the hd600 was much more with the Valhalla than with the Asgard, which in certain areas it was....  I'll start off by just physically comparing the two amps and then dive into the sound. 

Asgard vs. Valhalla, the physical appeal:  

First off, the Valhalla is much more aesthetically pleasing with its tubes and all, but there is something pleasing about the simple nature of the Asgard which makes it hard to discern which is the best looking in person. After a few days I just couldn't stop looking at the Valhalla and to that end I was completely happy with my purchase of the Valhalla and decided that it was the best looking of the two.

The Valhalla is much heavier in comparison to the Asgard, just the nature of a tube amp... Fit and finish is identical on the two amps, with the exception of while running, the Valhalla power luminary is much more dim in comparison to the Asgard, I realllly liked this! must be a revision.

As for the "heat", both amps generate a fair amount of heat but nothing that would ever concern me. If you have trouble touching the volume knob on either of these amps after a good long listening stint you should probably toughen up your girly hands on the stove... or set a oven mitt next to your amp. (jk, the heat issue is as Jason exclaims-> NILL) 

Asgard vs. Valhalla, the "perceived" sonic differences:

For all of my testing I kept both amps at operating temps. The Valhalla was left to burn in for ~40 hrs. I used the same selected tracks with foobar, used my uDAC at the same line out volume, and used 4.5 feet of Blue Jeans Cable LC-1. Headphone of choice was the hd600. The only variable was the amp! (ok maybe me too just a little, but the amp was the only variable when considering the hardware)

Here is the quick and dirty for those of you who don't want to read anymore ->   After much listening and discerning what I was hearing I conclude that the Asgard is one hell of a bang for your buck amp. The Asgard is voiced so well that when I first started testing i had a hard time telling that the Asgard was solid state. Yes the Valhalla smooths the mids better and is not really rolled off at the top plus it packs a little more heat in the bass region, "but" for pure listenability the Asgard wins. If all I listened to was Jazz, Classical, and lighter music the Valhalla would be here to stay since these were the genre's that really blew me away when listening with the Valhalla.

More in depth:

Highs: Asgard exhibits a bit of a rolled off top end which most of us have read about or heard. The Valhalla does not continue the trend, in fact it was a little bright before it settled in. Bright equipment rubs me the wrong way so the Asgard was more appealing initially. As my Valhalla sits now it is a pretty even amp. There are some small peaks here and there ie somewhere in the topend and upper midrange. The highs on the Valhalla are crisp and articulate.

Mids: The Valhalla wins here, the tubes really do sound wonderful in this range. As I mentioned before the Asgard is very well voiced. What i mean by that is, it was engineered to have a certain personality. Some of the tracks I listened to sounded better with the Asgard because of this effect on the mids. Because of this the attack was better with the Asgard than the Valhalla. 

Lows: Depends what type of bass you like, both are very good in this region. The Valhalla has a juicy bottom end in comparison to the Asgard which is more of a synthetic bottom end. The "synthetic" bottom end of the Asgard lends to its balanced presentation without over doing the bass, yet you still feel a good amount. As far as amount of body, the Valhalla wins, when it comes to balanced grippy bottom end the Asgard wins.

Overall qualities I liked about either in comparison to each other:

Valhalla-> Great depth, the separation is wonderful. More forward than the Asgard. Better low level detail than the Asgard.

Asgard-> Good prat, lends to why i like the Asgard the best. Also it is very "sweet", meaning lacking peaks in response. I basically chose the Asgard over the Valhalla because it was just easier to listen to, I enjoyed the Valhalla very much but wasn't happy with the way all the music i listened to sounded with it. Also, the Valhalla does not do orthos justice, or i would assume any other phone with low impedance and sensitivity.

Simply put, both amps test very similar and are a treat to session. If all you have are high impedance phones then snag the Valhalla, if you have a few lower impedance cans the Asgard will do them all justice! Minus maybe the AKG's which weren't that great with the Asgard.

I hope most of my impressions are somewhat on par with everyone with the Valhalla so I don't feel like too much of an idiot, but whatever, this hobby is so subjective so I wont feel too bad
biggrin.gif

Enjoy and Happy listening!    

M

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #245 of 404
Thank you for your impressions.

I've had the Valhalla since Saturday evening and I love it with my Grado RS1i. I had been auditioning a Nuforce Icon HDP but could not detect much bass and the treble was painful. I shipped the HDP back for a refund today. I also have the Matrix M-Stage which sounded harsher in the treble than the HDP. Both amps have been burnt in for about 200 hours each. The sound with the Valhalla and RS1i is much easier to listen to than the other combinations. I don't know if this makes sense based on the "specs" of each amp. All I know is that I'm following my ears.

By the way, this is the first time I listen to a tube amp.

Now I'm curious about the Asgard with the RS1i. I'll have to order one. The great thing about ordering from Schiit is that shipping down to San Diego takes one day!

Finally, I have an HD650 coming in a few days so we'll see how it sounds with my amps.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #246 of 404
meh, pictures are always good. here are a few of the set-up at the moment. the emotiva cables are hooked up.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #247 of 404
^^^ Thanks for the pictures. I want those same cone feet for my Valhalla, too. Where did you get them?

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #248 of 404
^ ebay as usual for the weird stuff. they did come as 4 but i only used 3 and took off the extender screw on top of the cone

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #249 of 404
^ Thanks, mmayer167. $23.50 + shipping 't ain't bad at all--great deal. Raising the Valhalla 1-1/4 inches will certainly help the airflow under its chassis.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #250 of 404
exactly what i was thinking. I'm not worried about heat really (they do also act as a passive heatsink) but it does look nice!  I didn't do it for sound as some people claim it does wonders for soundstage...lol if you can hear things i cant more power to you.

Have fun with your Valhalla's hf's

M

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #252 of 404
From reading many comments here about the Denon-series' pairing with tube amps, I would expect that you will have better results with solid state. Denons love solid state. And as they have a relatively low impedance rating and like lots of current, the Asgard may be a better option. That said, what say those who actually have Denon cans and the Valhalla?

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #253 of 404
^^^ do not get the valhalla for your d5000. although high sensitivity the d5000 is only 25 ohm impedance and if memory serves me correct valhalla is rated down to 32 ohm. not a good match. The asgard is built for low impedance cans, and would sound very good with the d5000 i would bet!

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #254 of 404

Quote:
mmayer167 said:

exactly what i was thinking. I'm not worried about heat really (they do also act as a passive heatsink) but it does look nice!  I didn't do it for sound as some people claim it does wonders for soundstage...lol if you can hear things i cant more power to you.

Have fun with your Valhalla's hf's

M

I personally don't know if it would improve sound stage with a tube amp, though if it could with my I+ I'd be able to hear it. I will say that it causes a much smaller area for vibrations to pass through, and what is more all the weight is focused over a much smaller area causing a much firmer connection to it's surface. It won't vibrate as much, or so I hear. I personally would go a step further and put some cork under them for perfect isolation.

How ringy/microphonic are the tubes? I have had to buy 50-60 dollars worth of product to tame the microphonics in my LD I+. I'd really be interested in this.

Also, the amp is simply beautiful!

I myself am very curious about this amp's pairing with HD650. If somebody has that combo, please advise! Also, I love the jokes, but then again they brought it on themselves:

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #255 of 404
i experienced not microphonics with the valhalla or "ringyness"...  seriously great amp, just try to pair high impedance phones with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back