Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #226 of 404

Quote:
Skylab, maybe this request belongs in the LCD-2 amp thread, but I am interested in the differences between the Asgard and Valhalla with the LCD-2 as many have said that it responds better to SS than to tube amplification and am looking forward to that comparison from you if you have had a chance to compare both of these amps with that headphone please.

Unlike Skylab, I haven't gotten the chance to hear that combo myself, but since the Valhalla is an OTL tube amp specifically it should have very significant problems with the low sensitivity low impedance LCD2. Jason himself said as much and suggested the Asgard would be a much better fit for the LCD2.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #227 of 404
^ Oh that's right I remember Jason's post now, whoops 
redface.gif
 !

Thanks for reminding me though 
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #228 of 404
And I will be utterly useless in that regard, because I have never heard, or even seen, an Asgard
eek.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #231 of 404
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #232 of 404
An update on my valhalla I've put 10-15hrs in, the bass seems to have improved to at least what it sounded plugged straight into my xfi Titanium, so it's about as good as I've heard my computer setup so far.  I am trying to figure out the soundstage, I have been playing bad company 2 and the environment sounds and distances are a little harder to detect with this amp plugged in, it may take some getting used to.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #233 of 404
My Valhalla came today!
         a- it weighs more than the Asgard by a substantial amount, which feels nice.

b- it sounds very similar to the Asgard with my TP's thus far out of the box.

c- it's gorgeous!

d- the led luminary is much softer than my Asgard which is awesome because i get blinded by the Asgard at night.

e- all I am going to say about sound thus far is that vs the Asgard, obviously the mids are smoother and the bass so far is a bit less defined. Basically it sounds like an amp that needs some settle time, so i will report more later!

f- no I am not going to go through the whole alphabet with points...
cool.gif
  expect more late next week, sorry, I know that is a long time.

Cheers Head-Fi'ers, M

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #234 of 404

Quote:
My Valhalla came today!

cool.gif
  expect more late next week, sorry, I know that is a long time.

Cheers Head-Fi'ers, M

Cheers, mmayer167. It sounds like a lot of Head-Fi'ers are getting their amps today. Makes for a great weekend! ENJOY!
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #236 of 404
I thought id share the pictures I just snapped in some low light.
regular_smile .gif
  have a good weekend everybody!

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #237 of 404
I too have been surprised in my limited time with the Valhalla at how similar it sounds to my SS Benchmark.  I was expecting a completely different, romantic, "tube" sound that I've always read so much about but that's not the case...at least yet.  That's not to say that I'm not happy with it at all, I'm finding myself lost in the music rather than critically listening, which is always a good thing!

I haven't had any time to listen to it this week...pulling the single parent card all week as the wife's been away.  I hope to get some time with the Sennheiser 580/600 and the Valhalla this weekend.

Thinking I'm going to use the HD Tracks/Head-Fi compilation as a basis for my final review of the Valhalla.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back