Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #256 of 306
I have the Vali 2 ++ and the Valhalla 2. In my experience, when using stock tubes that come with your purchase, the Valhalla is superior by a noticeable margin. However, when you put the W396a in the Vali 2++ it is equal to, or even in some situations ,even better than the Vallhalla 2. There are many great tubes for both units, so apples to apples comparisons are difficult. IMHO, YMMV :beerchug:

Thanks! I have tried a bunch of the tubes for the Vali, and the 1950's Raytheon 5670s are my personal favorite.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #257 of 306
What about the Vali making you prefer it to the Jr? Why don’t you put the Bottlehead Crack in your list? Tks

I'm trying to pin that down, but the ZDT Jr. is at our cabin, so I need to bring it home to do some A/B testing. That said, I was noticing what I thought to be overall better details with the Vali over the last couple days.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #259 of 306
Hey all, Merry Christmas to all those celebrating today and happy holidays to all.

Am looking to get an OTL to check the connection with my ZMFs, but looking to keep it sub-500 if at all possible. Wondering if the Valhalla 2 or Xduoo TA-26s would give a better flavor? Something tells me it might be the Xduoo but would appreciate any insights. BHC is a no-go so looks for something built and ready to ship. Many thanks in advance!

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #260 of 306
Hey all, Merry Christmas to all those celebrating today and happy holidays to all.

Am looking to get an OTL to check the connection with my ZMFs, but looking to keep it sub-500 if at all possible. Wondering if the Valhalla 2 or Xduoo TA-26s would give a better flavor? Something tells me it might be the Xduoo but would appreciate any insights. BHC is a no-go so looks for something built and ready to ship. Many thanks in advance!
Happy Holidays! Sorry about the late comment... I have no say regarding the Xduoo, but I have been using the Valhalla 2 for a few years now and I do not think I will look for any replacements any time soon.

I'm not sure if the Xduoo can double as a pre-amp... but for me, it has been one major reason for me to have chosen the Valhalla 2, as it is future proof if you want to use speakers at one point... I am feeding it to an EL34 tube power amp, and it rocks !

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #261 of 306
Happy Holidays! Sorry about the late comment... I have no say regarding the Xduoo, but I have been using the Valhalla 2 for a few years now and I do not think I will look for any replacements any time soon.

I'm not sure if the Xduoo can double as a pre-amp... but for me, it has been one major reason for me to have chosen the Valhalla 2, as it is future proof if you want to use speakers at one point... I am feeding it to an EL34 tube power amp, and it rocks !
Hey, thanks kindly for the insights- very much appreciated. I'm not sure about the pre-amp function either to be honest- though given my home situation, running to speakers isn't really on the cards... thanks again for the feedback and enjoy the music!

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #262 of 306
Hey, thanks kindly for the insights- very much appreciated. I'm not sure about the pre-amp function either to be honest- though given my home situation, running to speakers isn't really on the cards... thanks again for the feedback and enjoy the music!
Cool, thanks.
If you end up getting it, the original tubes are pretty good. :) but if you do want to explore rolling, RFT ECC81 and Mullard CV4024 are incredible tubes.

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #263 of 306
Back into my Valhalla 2 today, Started getting some nasty sounds out of the left cup. I was using my Grado GH2's. Changed the tubes and wow, so smooth. :L3000:

Decide to ride my best of 2000's playlist for a few hours. Lifted a bit of weights as part of my new years resolution.
And now back into my best of 2000's playlist. Drawing from my 2000-2009 playlist, I picked my favourite songs of that decade, on that day.:smile:
1705536553561.png

I sometimes forget how good this amp sounds.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #265 of 306
The valhalla 2 is on pretty good price currently, does it pair well with grados?
It does. I love it with my HD660S2's, my Focal Clear's and Grado's.
Not so much with the Arya's or HE6se V2's.

I also bought some tube risers for it which cooled it right off.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #266 of 306
I'll add the Focal Elex and HD6XX to that list and second the tube riser. And there can be a lot of if fun had trying different tubes.

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #267 of 306
The valhalla 2 is on pretty good price currently, does it pair well with grados?
Another fan here. I have the gs1000i and sr125 with Dekoni pads. I love how they fit and sound. :)

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #268 of 306
My Vahalla 2 is probably the last headphone amp that I'll buy. I've been using it for several years now and no complaints. I'm using a pair of Amperex orange globes most of the time. If I want to change things up I'll put in a pair of JJ 6922 tubes. My old Modi Multibit with the firmware update still sounds great with the amp. I'm a CD spinner and my Audiolab 6000CDT transport has worked flawlessly since I bought it few years ago. My go to headphones are my old HD600's but I also like my Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm headphones with the Vahalla.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #269 of 306
My Vahalla 2 is probably the last headphone amp that I'll buy. I've been using it for several years now and no complaints. I'm using a pair of Amperex orange globes most of the time. If I want to change things up I'll put in a pair of JJ 6922 tubes. My old Modi Multibit with the firmware update still sounds great with the amp. I'm a CD spinner and my Audiolab 6000CDT transport has worked flawlessly since I bought it few years ago. My go to headphones are my old HD600's but I also like my Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm headphones with the Vahalla.
... high-gain setting for DT-880/600 ?

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #270 of 306
Anyone else react to the absurd price Schiit wanted to have for a rack? 180 euros or something on the Schiit European site. Would have bought one, but that really stuck in my throat. Have magni/modi stack and Valhalla2, so would have been perfect for that, but can't justify those kinds of monies. That's really kind of crazy monies. For four aluminium posts and acrylic shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back