Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #286 of 306
I really doubt you will hear the difference between a solid-state preamp/power amp setup and the Valhalla 2. That's mostly for guitarists (me!) where you want some preamp distortion or preferably power-amp distortion at reasonable levels (not like a Marshall stack going full-bleed). So I personally like my Valhalla2, it works well with Sennheiser hd600 cans, but really not much better than much cheaper and now discontinued Magni solid state amp. For hifi purposes I think solid-state has to be as good as tubes. There is no such thing as 'tube magic', that's just a figment of your imagination. But anyway, your experience may vary, maybe you get something better out of your headphones/speakers. I love tubes as a guitarist, but honestly, the value-added in hifi systems is so marginal, can't really see it. After all we're not trying to achieve a smooth distortion or overdrive! Which is what guitarists are after. So if your current system is solid-state, or hybrid, and it works, stick with it. Going to the Valhalla2 will not add anything apart from expense. Also, be aware the Valhalla 2 is not great with low impedance cans or iem's as is otl amplifier. I would stick with the Vali2 if I were you, more flexible as regards cans and iems. It sounds great with Sennheiser hd600 and other high-impedance cans, but otherwise meh. Works with iem's and low impedance cans, but not very well. Well ok. Can't hear the difference betweem Valhalla2 and Magni+.
Great feedback, I really appreciate the voice of reason angle. :)

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #287 of 306
Having said all that, the combination of HD600 and Valhalla2 is really good! With Modi as DAC.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #288 of 306
With the Valhalla 2 in closeout for $299, I'm giving some thought to upgrading from my Vali 2++. This is for my phono set up, which is currently: Mitchel Acoustics turntable > Mani 2 > Loki Mini > Vali 2. Connecting with Focal Clear or IEMs, most often the IMR Elan+.

All of this is just from last year as I explore the vinyl side of audiophilia, and I'm digging it ... and still leaving room for the hi-res digital side.

I'm hoping someone might possibly be able to tell me what I'd get from the Valhalla 2 that the Vali 2 can't provide. I'm sure the Valhalla is "better" but I'd like to know if it's a better that I need, if you will.

Thanks in advance.
I had a Vali 2 and not a Vali 2++. The Vali 2 never impressed me at all. I found it loud and clear. Crisp and clean, but not at all tubey. I was on my tube journey at the time. I found the Valhalla 2 tubier and thicker. And the Little Dot MK9 was even Thicker and Tubier. Too much for me and I sold it.

I have thought about selling the Valhalla 2, but it is such HUGE bang for the buck I don't think I can. I traded for the amp, I splurged on the tube risers and have a Lot of tubes.
Of the three amps I think the V2 is my favourite amp for the HD6660S2's and it is very good for a few others. I love that all my amps are Very different from each other.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #289 of 306
And of course having glowing tubes is always cool! So there is that...But mostly a psychological thing. Anyway not had any problems with heat so far, so if you want to go there, a lot cheaper than Hifiman Shangri-La at a million dollars now. For basically the same thing, headphones and four-tube preamp and amp. So guess with my Valhalla2 I'm just a step below the Shangri-La for a lot less monies. So there's that! Especially if you can get on sale, then go for it! Then you can a/b your solid state setup with valhalla. The only thing I can say about Valhalla 2 is that it's possibly more 'airy' but that's very subjective, and it made my Senny hd600's sound better. But not so much with Arya Stealth cans which cost 3 times as much.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #290 of 306
Not so advanced that I'm rolling tubes yet. Think stock ones are fine.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #291 of 306
Since Squidman brought it up...on Monday evening: :grin:
IMG_20240415_195803059.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #292 of 306
So Shane D, do you find that the Valhalla2 is ok for planar magnetics such as the Arya Stealth or for low-impedance cans such as AKG k712 or various Beyers? Quoting is not working for me at the moment. I was warned as an OTL amp it would be terrible. Have not found that to be the case, in low-gain mode. But high-impedance cans such as HD600 definately do better.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #293 of 306
Yes heat is not a problem for me so far. Nice pic! Love me some glowing tubes!

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #295 of 306
So Shane D, do you find that the Valhalla2 is ok for planar magnetics such as the Arya Stealth or for low-impedance cans such as AKG k712 or various Beyers? Quoting is not working for me at the moment. I was warned as an OTL amp it would be terrible. Have not found that to be the case, in low-gain mode. But high-impedance cans such as HD600 definately do better.
I do not care for the Arya's on it at all. That headphone is too precise for the thick, tubey sound, IMO.
And it is too weak to handle the HE6se V2's, IME.
I am not sure about the FT5's yet, but where they are warm and bassy, that might be a bit much in combination. I am sure that I have tried them, but I can't recall right now. They are pretty new.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #296 of 306
Well learn something every day! Didn't know FiiO made cans, but found the ft5's. Still have FiiO q1 for use on mobile. Super happy with Arya's on Magni+ work very well. My best cans so far. But the hd600 are not far off on the valhalla2. Looks like you could be approaching gearitis though with that many headphones. Almost a hoarder! Gotta watch that! At 9 cans or something here will have to sell some off or otherwise I'll be a hoarder too! Same with guitars and fly rods.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #297 of 306
Still don't see a need for risers or tube things yet, but possibly. Not getting that hot yet. But possibly in the future. See the reason for it. Going to swap out hd600 for akg k712 see how bad it is. But the hd600 is really great on Valhalla2.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #298 of 306
Wow that Valhalla2 gets pretty damn toasty, wouldn't want to leave it on all night or something! No leaving that bad boy after a night on the piss!

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #299 of 306
AKG k712 works, but not nearly as nice as hd600. Volume at around 12 o'clock. Will try Arya Stealth after. All off of Tidal (when it works! crashes on pc!). My k712 need a lot of burning in though of course.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #300 of 306
Well learn something every day! Didn't know FiiO made cans, but found the ft5's. Still have FiiO q1 for use on mobile. Super happy with Arya's on Magni+ work very well. My best cans so far. But the hd600 are not far off on the valhalla2. Looks like you could be approaching gearitis though with that many headphones. Almost a hoarder! Gotta watch that! At 9 cans or something here will have to sell some off or otherwise I'll be a hoarder too! Same with guitars and fly rods.
Well actually I just sold one pair, so I am down to ten. :smile:

I like my planar's with my iFi amp.

FiiO also has an FT3 dynamic headphone. I Love the look and feel of the FT5's. Still figuring out where the sound fits in. Sound wise I find them similar to the iBasso SR2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back