Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #271 of 306
Anyone else react to the absurd price Schiit wanted to have for a rack? 180 euros or something on the Schiit European site. Would have bought one, but that really stuck in my throat. Have magni/modi stack and Valhalla2, so would have been perfect for that, but can't justify those kinds of monies. That's really kind of crazy monies. For four aluminium posts and acrylic shelves.
The price for everything on the schiit EU site is crazy compared to the international one 💀

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #273 of 306
It does. I love it with my HD660S2's, my Focal Clear's and Grado's.
Not so much with the Arya's or HE6se V2's.

I also bought some tube risers for it which cooled it right off.
Do you need to replace the risers? I got some from TubeMongers and also, from a "generic" vendor and I have noticed after a few months, the tubes start making "popping" noise... but removing the risers, the issue is gone. I like the "cool" effect, from both temperature and aesthetics... but having to replace them more often than the actual tubes is a big no-no for me...

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #275 of 306
What tubes to roll with the valhalla?
I believe we can only switch the front ones. The power tubes must the the original Russian ones.

I love the RFT ECC81 / 12AT7! We need an adapter, but I think it's worth it. Mullard's CV4024's are incredible, but it's getting harder and harder to find them at reasonable prices.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #276 of 306
Do you need to replace the risers? I got some from TubeMongers and also, from a "generic" vendor and I have noticed after a few months, the tubes start making "popping" noise... but removing the risers, the issue is gone. I like the "cool" effect, from both temperature and aesthetics... but having to replace them more often than the actual tubes is a big no-no for me...
I had a four cheap risers and I quit using them eventually and just went back to stock tube placement in the amp. I've owned Fisher and Harman Kardon tube receivers and amps and heat is just part of the game. As long as the vent holes in the amp are unobstructed I'm good to go.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #277 of 306
I had a four cheap risers and I quit using them eventually and just went back to stock tube placement in the amp. I've owned Fisher and Harman Kardon tube receivers and amps and heat is just part of the game. As long as the vent holes in the are unobstructed I'm good to go.
I agree that heat is part of the game... that doesn't bother me. It's just that I enjoy it better the visually "awesomeness" of the glowing tubes, hehe.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #278 of 306
The heat wasn't that terrible for me, don't know what people are complaining about. Works just fine stock. Can't say I hear a huge difference between Valhalla2 and Magni/Modi stack though, although I will say they make a difference to Sennheiser hd600. Then again I have mostly planar headphones and low-impedance headphones.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #280 of 306
Anyone else react to the absurd price Schiit wanted to have for a rack? 180 euros or something on the Schiit European site. Would have bought one, but that really stuck in my throat. Have magni/modi stack and Valhalla2, so would have been perfect for that, but can't justify those kinds of monies. That's really kind of crazy monies. For four aluminium posts and acrylic shelves.
Schiit didn't supply their own rack, so it is likely the European agent that was selling that.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #281 of 306
I have never had to replace mine. Now and then I do get a noise and I change tubes. The noise goes away and when I change those tubes back in, they are quiet again. Just a tube thing I think.

I have many sets of tubes but I rarely roll. When I get a sound I like, I tend to stay with it. But then I have an iFi amp and a Violectric amp. So when I am craving change, I just roll amps. All three have pretty different sound signatures.

Going through all three amps today with the HD660S2's, since I "have" to switch up tomorrow.

I am more of a headphone roller. :smile:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #282 of 306
Apr 15, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #283 of 306
With the Valhalla 2 in closeout for $299, I'm giving some thought to upgrading from my Vali 2++. This is for my phono set up, which is currently: Mitchel Acoustics turntable > Mani 2 > Loki Mini > Vali 2. Connecting with Focal Clear or IEMs, most often the IMR Elan+.

All of this is just from last year as I explore the vinyl side of audiophilia, and I'm digging it ... and still leaving room for the hi-res digital side.

I'm hoping someone might possibly be able to tell me what I'd get from the Valhalla 2 that the Vali 2 can't provide. I'm sure the Valhalla is "better" but I'd like to know if it's a better that I need, if you will.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #284 of 306
With the Valhalla 2 in closeout for $299, I'm giving some thought to upgrading from my Vali 2++. This is for my phono set up, which is currently: Mitchel Acoustics turntable > Mani 2 > Loki Mini > Vali 2. Connecting with Focal Clear or IEMs, most often the IMR Elan+.

All of this is just from last year as I explore the vinyl side of audiophilia, and I'm digging it ... and still leaving room for the hi-res digital side.

I'm hoping someone might possibly be able to tell me what I'd get from the Valhalla 2 that the Vali 2 can't provide.

Thanks in advance.
Never had the chance to play with the Vali 2 but from the top of my head I think the pre amp capability of the Valhalla 2 is awesome! I have been pairing it with a tube power amp, el34s, and I love the combo.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #285 of 306
I really doubt you will hear the difference between a solid-state preamp/power amp setup and the Valhalla 2. That's mostly for guitarists (me!) where you want some preamp distortion or preferably power-amp distortion at reasonable levels (not like a Marshall stack going full-bleed). So I personally like my Valhalla2, it works well with Sennheiser hd600 cans, but really not much better than much cheaper and now discontinued Magni solid state amp. For hifi purposes I think solid-state has to be as good as tubes. There is no such thing as 'tube magic', that's just a figment of your imagination. But anyway, your experience may vary, maybe you get something better out of your headphones/speakers. I love tubes as a guitarist, but honestly, the value-added in hifi systems is so marginal, can't really see it. After all we're not trying to achieve a smooth distortion or overdrive! Which is what guitarists are after. So if your current system is solid-state, or hybrid, and it works, stick with it. Going to the Valhalla2 will not add anything apart from expense. Also, be aware the Valhalla 2 is not great with low impedance cans or iem's as is otl amplifier. I would stick with the Vali2 if I were you, more flexible as regards cans and iems. It sounds great with Sennheiser hd600 and other high-impedance cans, but otherwise meh. Works with iem's and low impedance cans, but not very well. Well ok. Can't hear the difference betweem Valhalla2 and Magni+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back