Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #136 of 972
Currently, I'm running a Schiit stack that includes Gumby, Feya and a pair of Vidars.

I wonder if there would be any benefit to upgrade to the Freya from the SYS if I would only use the passive mode. Some say that using balanced cables all the way can improve the sound of some equipment. Although the SYS is designed for two inputs and one output, it can also be used in reverse configuration with one input and two outputs; it just changes the way the volume works. (My power amp got too loud too fast that way, for example.) And, as I mentioned before, it makes a soft scratching sound sometimes due to the potentiometer. The Freya should have none of these issues, and also enables dual mono for the Vidar...but I'm still averse to shelling out $699 for a preamp since it would be doing nearly the same thing as my $49 one.

I'm also curious about the Vidar. Have you compared it to other power amps? Got any impressions? Did you also compare how it sounds in normal mode (just one of them driving the speakers) rather than dual mono? Would you recommend that others buy two or do you think it's overkill? Any thoughts on what accounts for the better sound compared to cheaper amps? (Assuming it does sound better.)

You don't actually stack them all, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #137 of 972
Since I just subscribed to this thread I'll do a brief introduction. Currently, I'm running a Schiit stack that includes Gumby, Feya and a pair of Vidars. Speakers are Kef LS50s and a set of Magnapan Super MMGs. The MMGs are on their way out. They sound great but, my room is just too small for them to work at their best. I supplement the bottom end with a single SVS SB12-NSD The stack replaced a McIntosh MA5200 integrated. As sources, I have a VPI Prime turntableith Ortofon Quintet Black running through a PS Audio Phono Converter and a Sonore micoRendu for streaming. All my CDs are ripped to flac or high bitrate mp3s. If I upgrade anything next it will be speakers if I can find something I like better than the Kefs, for under $3000.
I'd love to know more about the transition from your Integrated to the Freya and Vidars with the LS50s (back to those again). I'm running my LS50s out of a Cambridge CXA60 Integrated, Gen 5 Bimby as the source, with the eventual goal of graduating to a Saga/Vidar stack when funds allow. Have you tried the LS50s with a single Vidar, and if so, how does it compare to the dual monos? How does it compare to the old amp, etc?

EDIT: The above was posted as I was writing mine. Glad to know I'm not the only curious about your impressions.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #138 of 972
My original intention was to promote discussion of the integration of Schiit gear into a "two channel" ie. speaker based system. However, like most of the other threads on Head-Fi the discussion can often veer off to talk of other Schiit. I see no problem with that.

Agreed!

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #139 of 972
Comparing dual monos and a single can be a bit hard. Balanced leads to a louder signal and switching cables takes time and since volume moves up with balanced and also with the double power, volume matching becomes hard.
That beeing said, the ragnarok drives the LS50 nicely. It's not like you need 400watt per channel for them :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #140 of 972
My setup is MUCH more humble. But, I was looking at the MMG's, Mind if I ask the size of your listening room? My room is pretty small and I don't want to get them and be disappointed due to room size.
Had MMGs in my 11X12X9 room. They sounded great. They were about 3' from from the front and 20" from the side. I sit about 6'-7' away. Room is treated.
Upgraded to Spatial Audio M-4. Nice step up. They do everything the Maggies did, but better.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #141 of 972
Comparing dual monos and a single can be a bit hard. Balanced leads to a louder signal and switching cables takes time and since volume moves up with balanced and also with the double power, volume matching becomes hard.
That beeing said, the ragnarok drives the LS50 nicely. It's not like you need 400watt per channel for them :)

That's a good point. Although some aspects of sound can be obvious at all volume levels, it's still important to volume-match.

My power amp has twice as much power as the Vidar (and four times as much as the Ragnarok), but I'm assuming the Vidar would be higher quality in some way. (I know there are better components and less things in the signal path.) I just can't tell what it would be in the sense of measurements aside from perhaps something relating to transient speed. Looks like they're both class AB. The Vidar is smaller but weighs a few pounds more. hehe

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #142 of 972
My setup is MUCH more humble. But, I was looking at the MMG's, Mind if I ask the size of your listening room? My room is pretty small and I don't want to get them and be disappointed due to room size.

The room is about 11x13x7.5, but seems smaller acoustically smaller because of the clutter :) I just prefer the sound of the Kefs, not claiming they are better :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #143 of 972
This is why you need to buy THREE Vidars, to properly setup an A/B comparison. Duh.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #144 of 972
I wonder if there would be any benefit to upgrade to the Freya from the SYS if I would only use the passive mode. Some say that using balanced cables all the way can improve the sound of some equipment. Although the SYS is designed for two inputs and one output, it can also be used in reverse configuration with one input and two outputs; it just changes the way the volume works. (My power amp got too loud too fast that way, for example.) And, as I mentioned before, it makes a soft scratching sound sometimes due to the potentiometer. The Freya should have none of these issues, and also enables dual mono for the Vidar...but I'm still averse to shelling out $699 for a preamp since it would be doing nearly the same thing as my $49 one.

I'm also curious about the Vidar. Have you compared it to other power amps? Got any impressions? Did you also compare how it sounds in normal mode (just one of them driving the speakers) rather than dual mono? Would you recommend that others buy two or do you think it's overkill? Any thoughts on what accounts for the better sound compared to cheaper amps? (Assuming it does sound better.)

You don't actually stack them all, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use a SYS in my system also, but have never tried it as a preamp. I've only used it as a switch. As for whether the Freya is worth the $650 extra, I don't want to know :) I had invested in the McIntosh integrated figuring it would be an end game and I could stop upgrading. I discovered this is not what I enjoy about the hobby :) After the investment in the McIntosh I found myself not using it's dac or phono preamp. I thought my Bifrost sounded better and I wanted to use the PS Audio phono stage for ripping vinyl. Just using the McIntosh as a preamp/amp seemed a waste of resources. I bought the Freya/Gumby/Vidars for about what I should get for the McIntosh on the used market. I bought 2 Vidars because I expected to use 1 for the Kefs and one for the Maggies. Since I've decided to sell the Maggies I set up dual monos just because I could. I think the additional headroom makes a slight change in the Kefs transparency. Not necessarily $700 worth, but enough that I don't want to change it. Running separates also makes it easy to upgrade parts when I feel the desire. Now I need to rid my self of some spare equipment and reduce the clutter in my listening room :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #145 of 972
I ordered a Saga and Vidar today. I already have a Bifrost (older model, I will eventually have it upgraded). The order status kinda made me laugh:

Capture.JPG

(Vidar is on backorder)

These will be used with my Revel M105s. I also intend to eventually add a subwoofer.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #146 of 972
I ordered a Saga and Vidar today. I already have a Bifrost (older model, I will eventually have it upgraded). The order status kinda made me laugh:

(Vidar is on backorder)

These will be used with my Revel M105s. I also intend to eventually add a subwoofer.

It's hard to wait, but it will be worth it. Vidar sounds pretty good out of the box, but just wait until it's past 100 hours, holy cow!

Nice speakers BTW.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #147 of 972
Since we're doing introductions...

I'm running Yggy > Ragnarok > LS50s (near field) in my home office and Gumby > Freya > Marantz MM7025 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons in my main listening room. The Freya is also connected to a Rega RP 40 turntable with an Ortofon 2M black cartridge and Musical Fidelity M1LPS phono preamp. Tube wise, I'm using Psvane CV181-TII and Sophia 6SN7 in the Freya. I use the Sierra Towers in a HT setup too (Marantz SR7010 > Parasound A52) and I use a speaker selector switch to toggle between amps.

I took my a while to settle on the MM7025 amp. Feature wise, it works pretty well for me -- XLR inputs, power switch on the front (so I can keep it in my AV cabinet), plenty of power for my (efficient) speakers and not too expensive. I'd like to try 2 Vidars instead but I think they'd be overkill for the Sierra Towers which are 93db at 1w/1m. I also haven't seen a solution for keeping Vidars in an AV cabinet that I'm satisfied with.

Re: the LS50s, I've used them with a few systems over the years -- initially with a Rega Brio-R, then with Mjolnir > Parasound A23, and then finally Ragnarok. The Ragnarok was definitely the best. I sold the A23 but I would have liked to compare it to the MM7025 with the Sierra Towers.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #148 of 972
It would be nice if you're right. I'll have to see (or rather, hear) after I get more experience.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed dramatic improvements by leaving your power amp (etc.) on at all times?

I always heard about how leaving electronics on permanently has supposedly massive benefits. This doesn't apply to everything, of course, and I thought it was a bunch of hype in many cases...but after trying it for myself, I was astonished by how much better everything sounded.

(I already knew about how certain components in Schiit's multibit DACs have to reach thermal equilibrium to operate to spec, and experienced it firsthand...but I wasn't expecting a similar phenomenon with the power amp.)

So to those who normally turn their amps off when not in use: try leaving them on for days on end and see what differences you hear! You may be surprised.

I agree, I used to turn mine off, but now I run my amps/speakers etc... 24/7 When I'm not actively listening to them I turn them down to around 40 dB so that when I do decide to listen again I can go ahead and crank it up to my normal listening volume without having to worry about warming up the amps, transducers, etc...

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #149 of 972
I agree, I used to turn mine off, but now I run my amps/speakers etc... 24/7 When I'm not actively listening to them I turn them down to around 40 dB so that when I do decide to listen again I can go ahead and crank it up to my normal listening volume without having to worry about warming up the amps, transducers, etc...

I left my power amp on for a week or two (my perception of time is bonkers since I don't have to go out to a normal job, and I wasn't keeping track) but my system is in my bedroom and it was interfering with my sleep, so now I'm back to turning it off when I don't use it. The sound is slightly more unrefined now, but it's subtle enough that I don't mind. I put the grills back on the speakers for a somewhat more relaxed sound as well.

About the volume setting... I don't know how much more power it consumes when the knobs on the power amp are set to maximum (like I leave them at) but without any audio playing. But mine has a fan system that keeps it cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back