Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #151 of 972
I wonder if there would be any benefit to upgrade to the Freya from the SYS if I would only use the passive mode. Some say that using balanced cables all the way can improve the sound of some equipment. Although the SYS is designed for two inputs and one output, it can also be used in reverse configuration with one input and two outputs; it just changes the way the volume works. (My power amp got too loud too fast that way, for example.) And, as I mentioned before, it makes a soft scratching sound sometimes due to the potentiometer. The Freya should have none of these issues, and also enables dual mono for the Vidar...but I'm still averse to shelling out $699 for a preamp since it would be doing nearly the same thing as my $49 one.

I'm also curious about the Vidar. Have you compared it to other power amps? Got any impressions? Did you also compare how it sounds in normal mode (just one of them driving the speakers) rather than dual mono? Would you recommend that others buy two or do you think it's overkill? Any thoughts on what accounts for the better sound compared to cheaper amps? (Assuming it does sound better.)

You don't actually stack them all, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I haven't tried Vidar in anything other than monoblock mode, I'd imagine they will do fine for most people running them stereo, unless you have harder to drive speakers and like to listen to it loud. Most Cheaper amps are Class D which IMHO is fine for subs etc... but just doesn't sound nearly as well for full range.

The only Schiit I have in my "2 channel" setup (it's really 7.2, but I listen in 2 channel "Reference Stereo" at least 90% of the time) are a pair of Vidar. Because it is a multi-channel system I'm using an Oppo 205 as the source and DAC, from there it goes into an Emotiva XMC-1 (in "Reference Stereo" it is 100% pass through 2 channel mode) before being sent finally to the pair of Vidar (all balanced).

I originally had an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 for an amp before upgrading to a pair of Parasound JC-1's and there was a NIGHT and DAY difference between those 2. I purchased a pair of Vidar for a second system and decided to break them in on my main system to see how they compared to the JC-1's, I was blown away with how well the Vidar performed in 4 ohm mono operation. I tried to get them to go into thermal protection but I ended up giving in before they did, and they sound every bit as good as the JC-1's IMHO, enough so that I'm still running them in my main system 4 months later...

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #153 of 972
If there is no signal to amplify, then the setting of the volume control should have no significant effect on power consumption.

That's what I would assume. Thanks for confirming.

Most Cheaper amps are Class D which IMHO is fine for subs etc... but just doesn't sound nearly as well for full range.

Mine is class AB (same as Vidar) even though it was only $150.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #154 of 972
I agree, I used to turn mine off, but now I run my amps/speakers etc... 24/7 When I'm not actively listening to them I turn them down to around 40 dB so that when I do decide to listen again I can go ahead and crank it up to my normal listening volume without having to worry about warming up the amps, transducers, etc...
I agree, I used to turn mine off, but now I run my amps/speakers etc... 24/7 When I'm not actively listening to them I turn them down to around 40 dB so that when I do decide to listen again I can go ahead and crank it up to my normal listening volume without having to worry about warming up the amps, transducers, etc...

I leave my DAC and Aurender streamer on all time. I am hesitant about my pre-amp, GSX-Mk2, as it is a class A amp and gets very warm after a while. I could leave on the power amp, as it is class D and it hardly gets warm to the touch, but the fan would be on almost always, which is disturbing. I am anxiously waiting for my new class AB power amp. Let‘s see how warm it gets. In the beginning, I‘ll leave it on just to let it burn in. After that, I‘ll see.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #155 of 972
I have a Mjolnir/Gumby headphone setup that I'm using with active monitors on my computer desktop, but I just ordered some KEF LS50s. Can I just use my Mjolnir as a preamp to a single or double Vidar setup and be done with it? The other option would be to get a Ragnarok instead - but that's more money with less Wattage. Also I won't be able to get another Vidar in the future with the Rag. Thoughts?

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #156 of 972
That would definitely work.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #158 of 972
Sure you can – use the Rag as a preamp for the Vidar(s). Many people use a Rag as their headphone amp and preamp for their speaker system.
Yes, but the point of getting a Rag for me would be so that I could use the speakers with it. If I'm getting the Vidar, it really doesn't make any sense. Other than the fact that the Mjolnir doesn't mute my speakers when I plug in my headphones. At least the Rag let you choose your output.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #159 of 972
My 2 cents. If it's a desktop setting, you probably don't need the extra wattage of the Vidar. My Ragnarok/Yggdrasil/LS50 sounds fabulous, plays plenty loud in my room.

Good luck in your search, it's a journey.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #160 of 972
My 2 cents. If it's a desktop setting, you probably don't need the extra wattage of the Vidar. My Ragnarok/Yggdrasil/LS50 sounds fabulous, plays plenty loud in my room.

Good luck in your search, it's a journey.
monoblock vidars for LS50 is alot! I have the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil/LS50 combo as well.
Rangarok to me has an amazing value, end game balanced headphone amp and end game speaker amp. That thing is cheap

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #161 of 972
Rangarok to me has an amazing value, end game balanced headphone amp and end game speaker amp. That thing is cheap

$1,699 is not cheap. My power amp cost just $150 and has four times as much power. (Good specs too.) Granted, the Ragnarok might sound better, and it can drive headphones (without needing a speaker tap adapter cable) as well...but here's the thing. When I compared the $4,300 Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD to the ~$500 Chord Mojo with the HD 800, there was next to no difference. This (along with many other experiences) leads me to believe that the audible benefits for more expensive equipment are, in some cases, either subtle or nonexistent. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that there isn't a significant difference in some cases, and it's certainly worth it for some. But without comparing components yourself, it's easy to get caught up in hype and think that something more expensive is definitely going to sound better, when it might end up sounding not much better, the same, or even worse. There's also the fact that some people like to drive headphones from speaker taps, and there are certainly better speaker amps at lower prices.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #162 of 972
$1,699 is not cheap. My power amp cost just $150 and has four times as much power. (Good specs too.) Granted, the Ragnarok might sound better, and it can drive headphones (without needing a speaker tap adapter cable) as well...but here's the thing. When I compared the $4,300 Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD to the ~$500 Chord Mojo with the HD 800, there was next to no difference. This (along with many other experiences) leads me to believe that the audible benefits for more expensive equipment are, in some cases, either subtle or nonexistent. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that there isn't a significant difference in some cases, and it's certainly worth it for some. But without comparing components yourself, it's easy to get caught up in hype and think that something more expensive is definitely going to sound better, when it might end up sounding not much better, the same, or even worse. There's also the fact that some people like to drive headphones from speaker taps, and there are certainly better speaker amps at lower prices.
I'm not sayings "OH MY GOD ITS THE BEST AMP EVER" But I am saying that for what you pay for, you get a lot in one package for not a really scary price.

Look at the price for a balanced integrated Class A headphone amp with enough power to drive the HE-6
And a balanced integrated class AB speaker amp with proper speaker outputs(not flimsy, can use banana plugs or spades)
You can use it as a preamp for two Monoblocks if you like as well.
all that in a fan less design that doesn't have those thin flimsy metalic walls.

I was in the market for a new stereo speaker amp, almost went for the Hegel H80 but the Ragarok ticked of more boxes and I got mine used ~50hours for a good price.
made me get rid of a lot of boxes and I don't have to fidget around with any cables any more. multiple sources(guitars, computers etc) and multiple outputs connected(speakers and headphones).

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #163 of 972
By way of intro, I have a few pieces of Schiit: a Fulla2, a Magni, a Bifrost Uber, a Gungnir. I use the Gungnir in a 2ch setup into a pair of Odyssey amps and Vienna Acoustics Haydn speakers.

I use the Bifrost in a desktop setup driving a pair of Cambridge Audio Minx 11 but I need a new amp for that setup. Anyone know of a Bifrost-size class A/B amp that would look good next to the Bifrost?

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #164 of 972
By way of intro, I have a few pieces of Schiit: a Fulla2, a Magni, a Bifrost Uber, a Gungnir. I use the Gungnir in a 2ch setup into a pair of Odyssey amps and Vienna Acoustics Haydn speakers.

I use the Bifrost in a desktop setup driving a pair of Cambridge Audio Minx 11 but I need a new amp for that setup. Anyone know of a Bifrost-size class A/B amp that would look good next to the Bifrost?

Schiit make a pretty good amp that would match, and you can have the Bifrost on top of it..... http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar :)

My Vidar arrives tomorrow and I will have a Joty on top of it, topped off with the Modi MB. Nice little setup for my office!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #165 of 972
I wouldn't put anything on top of a Vidar.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back