Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #167 of 972
I already said what I wouldn't do......

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #168 of 972
Schiit make a pretty good amp that would match, and you can have the Bifrost on top of it..... http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar
!

(A) Putting anything on top of a Vidar is a bad idea
(B) Vidar: Size: 9” x 13” x 3.875” Bifrost: Size: 9 x 6.75 x 2.25” so the Vidar is easily twice the size of the Bifrost.

So, no, the Vidar isn't the answer to my needs.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #169 of 972

(B) Vidar: Size: 9” x 13” x 3.875” Bifrost: Size: 9 x 6.75 x 2.25” so the Vidar is easily twice the size of the Bifrost.

If you're looking for something of a similar depth to Bifrost you may have to go Class D or similar topology. The only small class AB amp I can think of is the AudioEngine N22, but i think that sits vertical. Other one that comes to mind is the new Exposure XM series, but I'm thinking these might be pretty deep as well, like Vidar. This is why I think many people have been lobbying Jason to come out with a compact lower powered class A or AB amp, I don't believe there's that many around-everyone is going Class D with these, probably because it's hard to fit what you need for class AB and get proper heat dissipation in something that small.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #171 of 972
I saw a review that said Vidar idles at about 60 watts, which seems high. Does this sound correct? Schiit's specs and literature don't mention power at idle. Is the case warm at idle?
I think mine idled at slightly over 50W or so when I measured it, and went closer to 60W when playing music. It does get nicely warm even when idling, but not hot. The only time I have experienced it truly hot was when I took it to an audio store to audition speakers, on a hot day, with lots of other equipment running in the room, and bad ventilation. Still no issue, though.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #172 of 972
If you're looking for something of a similar depth to Bifrost you may have to go Class D or similar topology. The only small class AB amp I can think of is the AudioEngine N22, but i think that sits vertical. Other one that comes to mind is the new Exposure XM series, but I'm thinking these might be pretty deep as well, like Vidar.

Yeah, hence the plea for help. The N22 looks pretty good but, you're right, it's the wrong way around. And the Exposure XM is a little too big.

The only one I know of is the Parasound Zamp but I've soured on Parasound. I'm tempted by this bling-y thing but I don't need to fry an egg while listening.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #173 of 972

Fair enough... I was thinking of just the width. Good luck with your search :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #174 of 972
I've been in this hobby for a number of years, but I saw something today I have never seen before. A Mono block preamplifier. That's right, you need two of these preamps for a two channel system. Has anyone else seen such a device? What is next? Mono block DACs? :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #176 of 972
$44K Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #177 of 972
$44K Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

You've probably heard of this one. Costs well over six figures with some of the upgrades. (Which include a dual mono power base option.)

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/
The Select DAC is powered by MSB’s Hybrid DAC technology. A total of sixteen channels across eight modules are stitched together for a high powered direct output. There is no amplification stage needed to drive the output—only a pure digital-to-analog conversion.

Not sure what you would call that in the context of mono. (I guess it's technically not in the end.) But it makes Schiit look like a steal!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #178 of 972
That's right, you need two of these preamps for a two channel system.
Lends new meaning to the phrase, "I'll take two!" but think about the balance control options. And madness for the more OCD of us.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #179 of 972
I'm still trying to find out if money isn't really an object if going Vidar for bookshelf speakers at a computer setup is better than just relying on a Ragnarok. Any thoughts?

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #180 of 972
I'm still trying to find out if money isn't really an object if going Vidar for bookshelf speakers at a computer setup is better than just relying on a Ragnarok. Any thoughts?

Do you need an excellent headphone amp? Do you really need more power then 50WPC?

If you want/need the headphone amp, then the Rag might be a better choice. It's a one box solution, when paired with a DAC.

If you need additional power, then the Vidar might be the ticket. Keep in mind, with the Vidar you will need a preamp, or a headphone amp with preamp outputs.

I currently have a Freya preamp with a pair of mono blocks, but I'm leaning towards the Rag for a second system, for my cabin. It would be nice to have a headphone amp / speaker amp, all-in-one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back