Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #1,201 of 2,024
My Rok is on 24/7 as a general rule.

No problems.

JJ

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,202 of 2,024
I have left mine on overnight an number of times.. it never gets that hot IMO I have seen other amps that are much more powerful space heaters. Mine is on an open audio rack with the shelf above it at about a 6" gap. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,203 of 2,024
Thermal equilibrium should be met within minutes of having the unit on. There's no need for constant powering like with the Yggdrasil which gradually gets better as its left on longer. Keeping the Ragnarok on all the time will simply just shorten its lifespan as with all mosfets.

I try to turn it off whenever I can but the back power button is kind of... you know..

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,204 of 2,024
No reason to keep the Rag on and it says in the manual that it is recommended to power down the Rag if not in use for longer than an hour.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,205 of 2,024
Perhaps I should clarify my 24/7 remark.

My entire system is playing music 24/7 with very few interruptions or power downs.

It should also be noted that I have mounted a very low CFM boxer fan to the vent holes on top.
This dropped the measured external temp by ≈10F.

I have also increased the spacing between it and the Jggy below it (which is also raised up by ≈1").

JJ

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,206 of 2,024
My Ragnarok has been on since some time in January. I like to keep all my stuff on. Makes it easier to just press play and listen.
As a bonus I don't have to care about the 30minute warmup time on the Ragnarok plus it heats my room

no fans, no extra spacers, just placed it neatly ontop of the Yggy. Removed the doors on the shelf though to make sure it always has air.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,209 of 2,024
Hi everyone,

I've been more than happy with the Rag. Currently pairing it with Utopia's. Next week I have a pair of the Abyss set to arrive. A little concerned that the Rag might not have enough power for the Abyss? I am reading conflicting things. A few published reviews I could find say Yggy+Rag pair well with the Abyss. But a few posters in the Abyss thread have claimed that it was inadequate. Really want to make sure I audition the Abyss at their potential, and have none of my components hold it back.

Anyone run a Rag+Abyss setup?

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,210 of 2,024
Hi everyone,

I've been more than happy with the Rag. Currently pairing it with Utopia's. Next week I have a pair of the Abyss set to arrive. A little concerned that the Rag might not have enough power for the Abyss? I am reading conflicting things. A few published reviews I could find say Yggy+Rag pair well with the Abyss. But a few posters in the Abyss thread have claimed that it was inadequate. Really want to make sure I audition the Abyss at their potential, and have none of my components hold it back.

Anyone run a Rag+Abyss setup?

Can't really think of any headphone the Rag can't drive to exceedingly listenable levels.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,211 of 2,024
Now someone could do the math for an exact number but by a quick look the rag should be able to put out 12.5 or so watts into 46ohm resistance. The abyss has a relatively low sensitivity 85db but unless i am reading things very wrong I don't see how they could demand more power than the rag puts out?

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,214 of 2,024
  Does the ragnarok have a humming noise when powered off?  I read that it did in a review.  This would be a poor choice for me if so because my headphone amp lives in the bedroom.  

It is impossible for Ragnarok to hum when turned off. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 27, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #1,215 of 2,024
I'm confused...is Ragnarok modular? I've read two separate reviews that refer to it as "modular" and referring to it as "upgradable". However, I don't believe it's described as modular or upgradable in the Schiit site.

Does this mean there's potential for a tube variant in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back